Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surge band cracking by screws

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I purchased my Surge in Feb 2015 and this last week I have noticed that the band is cracked underneath where the screws are - and is now digging into my wrist when I wear it.  I'm not a particularly 'rough' wearer of the Surge so am very disappointed about this damage and the fact that it may not be covered under the warranty (it's only 13/14 months old!).  What can Fitbit do about this for me? (am UK based)

Have read lots of other threads on this very same topic so I am not alone.

Very disgruntled!!!

Best Answer
170 REPLIES 170

Working to improve the design on the straps? If you knew they were flawed, then why sell the unit? A couple of hundred dollars thrown away. My unit is sitting on my desk, not usable. What a waste of money..

Best Answer

@Marine54 wrote:

My unit is sitting on my desk, not usable...

Welcome to the Surge paper weight club.

Best Answer

@Marine54 If the bands are the only problem, and you're still interested in using them, Amazon has aftermarket replacement bands and YouTube has "how to" videos. I would watch the video first to see if it's something you or a friend are willing to undertake. Just a thought. Good Luck.

Fixed wing aircraft (F-4J, F-4S), Fighter Squadrons: VF-171, VF-31, VF-103.
Best Answer
I bought the after market band and it does work. My guess is the same band
cracking around the screws will happen. I dont really wear the FitBit too
much anymore . I now wear a Garmin and am quite happy with it.
Best Answer
Hey,
Thank thank you for the response and I did find replacement bands on Amazon... I should have kept my iwatch..

Sent from my iPhone

Best Answer

After 2 years of issues with the surge I am afraid to buy another fitbit product so time to hang up my community access and say goodbye. The build quality was just too poor. I never got it to synch continuously with my Samsung s4. I will go to another brand with better build but same features. All I expect is that the watch lasts 2 years.

I walk away happy as fitbit appreciated my custom and came to a satisfactory outcome. Good luck all.

Best Answer
I hear you.. this was the worst sports watch ever.. I had a NIKE fuel band for many years and when the IWatch came out the fuelband was discontinued.. I am giving up on them, altogether..

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
Yes I too gave up on Fitbit the watch but the community is awesome. I have
a Apple phone so I switch to a Apple Watch and so far I love it. The band
construction so much better plus the watch itself doesn’t hurt my wrist
like the Fitbit did. Just poor design and lack of care for the customer. I
owned Fitbit products off and on for about 5 years til I got the Surge
--
Michael F. Crane
Best Answer
I went to Apple also. Thanks,

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

Yes! I went apple as well.

In the almost 2 years I’ve had my Apple Watch, I’ve not had a burn on my wrist nor has my watch broken or anything. I put a small dent in the corner when I fell while jogging in icy weather, but didnt even crack the glass cover. 

Fitbit has the community integration and competitions, etc, down way better than apple, but as far as tracking and withstanding my normal wear and tear, the Apple Watch beats fibtib. 

And if I have problems or questions, I don’t get banned in the communities for raising the issues. So there’s that.

Best Answer

I ended up get their Blaze.  No problems so far. I like the app which goes with it.  I have a problem with Apple in that they make everything proprietary not to mention pricing. Fitbit would have done well to have handled the cracking issue differently. A disappointment from an otherwise excellent company.

Best Answer
Hey, good luck with your new Fitbit but, I am staying away from them. I ended up selling mine on Craigslist for $30.00.. I knew it was going to be at a loss and now I am going to get an IWatch...

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer

I feel your pain! My first band also broke around the same time frame and in the same area. Fitbit replaced the watch but now I’m in the same boat 9 months later. This time they offered a 25% discount. The initial $250 for most people, myself included, is not disposal income. Even with the “discount” I’m looking at least $200 or more to buy another comparable watch when the only problem I had is due to a design flaw or cheap material! Time to checkout (more reliable) products somewhere else....

Best Answer

I will never buy another Fitbit product. They never owned up to the design flaw with the surge. 

Best Answer

Hi everybody! I really appreciate your comments.

Please know that we provide feedback to our team based on community posts and we are always working on improving our devices and overall environment based on what you share here. If you haven't get your warranty information to see your option with Fitbit, let me know so I can request a case for you.

I'll be around.

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer
LOL now you guys finally realize that you have a problem. I gave up you
months ago and switch over to my Apple Watch no issues and much better fit
--
Michael F. Crane
Best Answer

Apple watches are great if you a) aren't huge on fitness features and prefer more of the smartwatch aspects and b) have an Apple phone. I fit into neither category so when my Surge finally gives out I'm going for the Ionic.

Best Answer

Why is this marked as 'Solved' !Fitbit handled this very badly. I have a Fitbit gathering dust with a broken band because you refused to handle the problem.

Looking at buying an Apple watch now.

Best Answer

Well, it looks like quite a few people are disappointed with their fitbits.. I myself have put mine away. I just purchased an IWatch.

Sent from my iPad

Moderator edit: Word choice.

Best Answer
You’ll create a case for us? The Surge band was bad design from the start. FitBit should replace them all with a better design, but instead will just replace them with another of the same bad design.

Sent from my phone, so pardon spelling mistakes.
Best Answer