Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surge battery has short life

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.
My surge battery only lasts for 2 days at best. I have heard most others last 5-7 days. What could be wrong?
Best Answer
0 Votes
5 REPLIES 5

Welcome to the Community @SmondinCat Happy If you aren't tracking runs or exercises that use GPS, your fully charged Fitbit Surge should last up 7 days. A fully charged Surge can track up to 10 hours of activities that use GPS. Because battery life is affected by use and other settings, actual results may vary.

These tips might help when you want to prioritize battery life:

• Each alarm reduces battery life by small percentage. To maximize battery life, consider setting fewer alarms.
  • Since Quick View causes the screen to light up whenever you turn your wrist towards you, turning this setting off may prolong battery life. When Quick View is off, press any button to see the screen.
  • Frequently using music control may reduce battery life.
  • If you're syncing with an Android device, the Always Connected option may reduce battery life.
  • If you're syncing with any Fitbit app, the All-Day sync option may reduce battery life on both the tracker and mobile device.
  • Charging your tracker in extreme heat or cold may reduce battery life.
  • If you don't need a heart rate rating, change the Heart Rate setting to Off. The Auto setting uses less battery than the On setting.
  • You can shut down your Surge when it's not in use.

Let me know how it goes! 

Heydy | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Best Answer
I'm currently running a battery test with the very helpful fitbit team.

I had the same problem. Battery was getting worse by the week.

Fitbit advise and my actions...

Totally run the battery down
Switch off all day sync, continuous sync and start using the surge as usual and sync up through the day.

Do not record any gps workouts, (I'm importing through runkeeper) whilst testing.

At the moment I am 2 days in and I am around 50 percent on the Guage.

Another thing to take into account is that it takes absouloute ages to totally rum out of juice when the gauge looks empty.

I think I'm heading for 10 days usage.

It will however be less after my test and I start gps recording again but I'm fine with it.

By the way my surge is over 12 months old.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for visiting the Community @SunsetRunner! 2 days and your Surge is running out of battery? hmmm that is not normal at all, and more if the GPS is not working. You have to contact Fitbit Support when you finish this test, in case that the battery still draining in less than 4 days or so, because it is not OK to deactivate all the feature that the Surge has just to save battery. I'm pretty sure they will find an alternative solution for you. 

Have a great day! 

Best Answer

Personally, the two killers I found are GPS... that kills the battery quickly and second is heart-rate monitor.. also lasts only 3 days with that on.

Turning the surge off is like not driving to save petrol.... not an option.

I suggest turning heart rate off if you don't need it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey @rumj, I hope you are doin' great! What I would suggest you in order for your Surge to save battery, turn the heart rate monitor of your tracker to Auto, 'cause if you have it On, is normal that is gonna consume more battery, so you keep using it, but it will only turn on when you really need it. 

In regards of the GPS, yes, that feature is one of the ones that drains more battery, but with a moderate use, you can make the battery of your tracker to last longer. 

Have a nice day! 

Best Answer