Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surge battery issues, vibrates on charger

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I got/started using my Surge October 2015 (so not quite 3 years ago) and it was working just fine.  I wear it during the day and stick it on the charger while I sleep at night.  It really only consumed some of the battery power, but I just got into the habit to make it simpler.  About two weeks ago, I started having two issues:

1. After charging for about 4 hours (so it will be 4 AM or 5 AM when this happens) the Surge will just start vibrating and it will not stop unless I disconnect the charger (in which I can connect the charger again to continue).
  2. By the time I get home from work, the battery indicator would be on saying that it needs a charge.  So not even 12 hours after taking it off the charger at 7 AM, I am getting the lower battery indicator.

I have the most up-to-date app on my phone, and it has no problem syncing.  I have tried shutting down the Surge (have tried for 10 minutes, have tried for couple hours, and have even tried for days having the Surge completely off) and even after that, charging it, it still has these issues.  Any other suggestions?

Add: Also, for the rapid battery drainage, I do not have all day sync on.  I do not have any alarms set.

Best Answer
10 REPLIES 10

Hi @butterflyqueen, it's nice to see you on the Forums. Smiley Happy

Thanks for posting your inquiry here and for the steps that you already try. I'd suggest trying each one of these solutions, since it covers several things; the fact that it is vibrating on the charger and not stopping after you perform the restart is not okay, as it might have internal issues. Can you please try the restart one more time and also reconnect it on your account. If this is not working we'll have to get in touch with customer support, I can request a ticket for you if you wish.

About how to charge your Fitbit, I'd suggest to follow the suggestions in this article to help your Fitbit battery to live longer: How do I charge my Fitbit device? Sometimes little things make the different.

Hope this helps and let me know if you need more help.

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer
0 Votes

This describes exactly what is happening with my Surge, too. It has worked pretty well for a couple years. Very recently (was there an updaet? i don't know) the battery life has declined so much that i have to plug it in during the day if i plan to use it to track a GPS activity in the afternoon. 

If i leave it on the charger for a prolonged period (useful if i want to make sure it isn't near dead when i need it), after a while, the watch will start buzzing as though it had an active Silent Alarm. Just buzz-buzz, buzz-buzz, buzz-buzz, until i unplug it. If i immediately plug it back in, the buzz will return. 

I've restarted it many many times. No help. I've also cleaned the terminals on the watch and the charging cable with a cotton swab and solvent. I don't think it is an issue with poor connection to the charger as the issue only starts after hours being charged. 

Did fitbit program a new "feature" that alerts the user that the device has been charging too long rather than being worn? Seems to coincide with the new cutesy "full charge" alerts that the fitbit app on my phone pops up. "Fitbit is fully charged and misses you!". ugh. 

Think it is time to retire this device and get something more geared towards tracking the longer bike rides, hikes and runs i'm doing anyway, the bettery is barely good enough for a 3+ hour hike anymore. 

Best Answer

Thanks for stopping by @TimMTB! Welcome to the Forums! Smiley Happy

I really appreciate the time you took in order to troubleshoot your Surge, that was a really good description of the issue. I've requested them to create a case on your behalf, so they can check your request. You should soon receive an email from Customer Support to the email you used to register with the Community forums.

I'll around in case that you need anything else! 

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer
I am facing the same issue, My Fitbit Surge battery dies within an hour after full charge. While charging, it constantly vibrates. I have followed all the solution that is available in the forum , like cleaning up charging pins and restarting the tracker. I have disabled everything like heart rate, Daily sync, alarms, backlight still the battery dies very must. Need help!
Best Answer
0 Votes

After charging, my fitbit just buzz and buzz. It won't stop buzzing even after i unplugged it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I know this is an old post but i found an interesting thing

My surge is very thread bare and the rubber coating started coming off when i first got it to be honest.

But recently i thought i would try and use it. hence how if found the buzzing when is tried to charge it.

I tried all the known fixes and did the reset through my phone app with no improvement 

so i checked in control panel/device manager what devices turned on and off when i plugged the surge in.

Turned out it was Human interface device / usb input device.
I don't use the computer to update the device so i disabled this.
It stopped buzzing and went from 20% To 60% to full really quick.
I did also notice that disturbing the connection caused it to buzz but only once.

Don't know if this is a fix but worked for me. 🙂

Best Answer

I'm having the same problem with my Surge vibrating during charging, I have tried everything you have suggested with no luck. Is it time for a new fit bit, is this one a lost cause? Waiting to hear your answer.

Thank you, Sue 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Sue, I will just let you in on my experience.  I could not get the surge to work like it used to back in 2018.  I bought a FitBit Charge 3 in January 2019 (brand new through Best Buy, about $120).  It worked well until around October 2019, I started noticing some lines on the screen, where pixels were missing.  It was not much of a bother, but I regret not taking any photos at that time.  In February 2020, the entire screen was white, making it difficult to read the time, step count, etc.. and it overall just did not function like it used to.  13 months and just out of the 1 year warranty and there was nothing FitBit could do but offer maybe 25% off a new watch.  After those two experiences, I decided to be done with FitBit for a while.  I bought a Garmin Vivosmart 4 this July 2020 from Amazon for $99.  We shall see if it lasts longer than a FitBit.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I have not had charge mine for like 5-6mos. Then i tried it again and guess
what? It charged again without vibrating.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Simply reset your Surge while charging, by holding the left button and the bottom right for about 10 seconds then releasing them both and from my experience, it fixes this weird issue, it probably will for you as well. Good luck!

Best Answer
0 Votes