Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surge did not get any km for bike ride

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

So yesterday I went for a bike ride and I manually tracked it on my surge the ride was 36.17 kilometers but once I finished and synced my Fitbit it said on my dashboard that I only did 1.81 kilometers yes that is true BUT that is what I got WITHOUT doing my bike ride I even checked the Fitbit itself and I also only had 1.81 kilometers even though yesterday I really should have gotten 37.98 kilometers all in total for yesterday I do not understand why I shouldn't get the other 36.17 kilometers from my bike ride is there some way that I can add those missing kilometers to my dashboard?

Moderator edit: Clarified subject.

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@Exercisemaniac sad but true, Fitbit does not track your lifetime cycling miles. That's one reason I spend more time in Strava, it tracks my lifetime miles cycling, swimming, and running. 

Aria, Fitbit MobileTrack on iOS. Previous: Flex, Force, Surge, Blaze

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
9 REPLIES 9

Nice to see that you're digging into the Forums @Exercisemaniac, thanks for sharing this information with us! Cat Surprised

It's odd to see that your Surge had those issues while syncing! Is this the first time that happens to you? I'd suggest to restart your Surge a couple of time and try to use the Bike option again, to see if this is a pattern or just an isolated issue. It looks like a syncing issue to me, but let's try it again to see what happens. About the missing distance, you can manually log a Walk activity so you don't loose those Kms. You can also do it from your phone if your prefer.

Please note that manually log activities don't count towards Challenges!

I'll be around! Woman Happy

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Ok thank you for recommending that I manually log the exercise but the only reason I wanted to have the kilometers is so I could have it for my lifetime kms but it doesn't look like it does that and now something VERY interesting is happening so I did not tell you but I tracked the bike ride with the GPS on my Surge and now when I checked just a few minutes ago it said that I did not even though yesterday it did show the map with the route that I took and not only that it also said that I had tracked the same exercise twice (not including the one I manually logged) so I don't know what is going on now I do not understand why it is doing this I guess I will try and test the bike feature again and see if it does the same thing.

One out of the total of three of the same exercises looks more like the original should I delete the other two and see what happens I will wait for your response but my brain is telling my that for some reason that will fix the problem and it will even give me the extra kilometers I did I know you probably don't want to know what my crazy brain thinks what happened but if you do here it is Smiley Happy

since my Fitbit for some reason tracked the same exercise twice and there was proof that it was started at the same time maybe Fitbit thought I was trying to scam extra kms so they blocked both of the exercises? Yeah I don't know but one thing is for sure it is not meant to track two exercises at the same time so that is definitely a bug!

i am sorry I keep spamming messages and that my brain for some reason is going crazy but I just noticed something crazy! I checked the original exercise again and in fact I did do 37.98 kilometers on that bike ride and then I checked the one that was tracked at the same time it had 36.17 km subtract 36.17 from 37.98 what do you get? 1.81 the total amount of kilometers I got for the day! Hmm maybe the exercise that was tracked at the same time is countering the original exercise? I will still wait for your opinion to delete it though.

Well my attempts failed to get the exercise back so I guess I will have to deal with it. But something I did do was restart the tracker multiple times and then I performed a few test to see if the bug was a reoccurring thing and I have concluded yes it is for now I think it only affects the bike feature and I don't know why do you have any advice for what I should do?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Well my attempts failed to get the exercise back so I guess I will have to deal with it. But something I did do was restart the tracker multiple times and then I performed a few test to see if the bug was a reoccurring thing and I have concluded yes it is for now I think it only affects the bike feature and I don't know why do you have any advice for what I should do?

Best Answer

Thanks for getting back to me with that amazing explanation @ExercisemaniacHeart

Your comments called my attention to the fact that you're doing a lot of effort for getting those kms, thanks a lot. I love your enthusiasm! After gathering all the details, that by the way you explained fantastically; it looks like it was a isolated error. But I'd like you to try to performer the same activity, trying to recreate what you did before. 

Hopefully, it will track all your stats, since you already restarted your Surge. I'm keeping my fingers crossed on that, as there is not an explanation on what else could happened that might caused  the changes that you're seeing. I'll be waiting for your response to check with you your Fitbit Dashboard to confirm if we need to report it. 

In the mean time happy stepping! Woman Wink

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Exercisemaniac Thanks for getting back to me! Smiley Happy

Sorry you're seeing the same discrepancies again. Would you mind attaching an screenshot of your activity and also the one that shows your stats for the day? Did you use the Fitbit One that day too? Did you manually log any activity or delete it too? This will help a lot to see the next step! Add as many details as you can.

Thank you, I'll be waiting for your response! Robot Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Exercisemaniac wrote:

So yesterday I went for a bike ride and I manually tracked it on my surge the ride was 36.17 kilometers but once I finished and synced my Fitbit it said on my dashboard that I only did 1.81 kilometers

@Exercisemaniac the problem is that Fitbit dashboard will never show cycling miles. Dashboard only shows an estimate of walking miles, based on steps (stride * steps = miles) plus any GPS walk/run activities.

I ride 10,000km a year and those miles never appear in Fitbit dashboard, all you can find is each individual ride in the Activity History. 

Hope that clarifies why you will not see cycling miles on Fitbit Dashboard.

Best Answer

Thank you for this information but aren't the miles/kms meant to show in your lifetime kms? If not at least this will clarify one issue but I have another I am pretty sure that when I track the bike ride exercise it also auto tracks it at the same time which makes no sense is this normal and not only that I lost my gps route without doing anything it just disappeared of my exercise!

Best Answer

@Exercisemaniac sad but true, Fitbit does not track your lifetime cycling miles. That's one reason I spend more time in Strava, it tracks my lifetime miles cycling, swimming, and running. 

Best Answer

Hi @Exercisemaniac and @bbarreraCat Happy

Thanks for sharing that information @bbarrera. I'd like to add that since Fitbit does not display a lifetime biking distance metric, some users have requested that option in our Feature Suggestions board: Cumulative Biking Distance. I think this suggestion is an excellent idea and I would like to encourage you to add your votes and comments there, so it can be implemented in a future update. This is the best way to make your voice heard.

In regards to your inquiry about GPS Vs. Automatic Detection, it is not possible that both features work at the same time. If you wish, you could turn off that feature in case that it's "On". By going to your Fitbit App > Account > Exercise. Please check my previous post, as I would like to follow up with this!

I'll be around! Smiley Very Happy

Best Answer