Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surge missed 25%+ of my steps and I'm 6 weeks beyond warrantee

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I found it very encouraging to have my fitbit surge count my steps, but now it misses 25% to 35% of them and fitbit has no fix and will not replace it because I am 6 weeks beyond their 1 year warrantee.  I am one of those out-of-shape old guys who walks with a friend at the mall early every morning (before the stores open).  We started noticing that he got increasingly more steps than me, even though we are the same height.  When we started a year ago, our step counts were in sync.  In the last couple of months we started noticing the differences as mine decreased to over 500 fewer steps per lap.  After trying everything I found in this community to try, like restarting it 4 times, etc., I decided to give fitbit a call.  They had me do a 100 step test and my fitbit counted 74.  We restarted the watch and did it again with the same results.  They then told me that they would not replace it because the warrantee ended in March.  They offered me 25% off a new one but I told them not to bother.  I'm not going to spend that much money on a product that only last a year.  Too bad, really.  I was very motivated by the concept of hitting 10,000 steps per day.

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 REPLY 1

As for the 100 step count, make sure your doing it outside durring a walk with the arms swinging naturally. 

Also I would try a 200 and 500 step test. 

I've seen where my 100 step count was off by 10 steps, but so was 200, 500 .and 1000 step tests only off by 10. 

Yes 10 out of 100 seems a lot, but 10 out of 1000 is only 1% and well within the 5% tolerance expected. 

If I took 11 steps. started the tracking, and counted off 100 it was accurate to within 2 steps. 

Best Answer
0 Votes