Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Syncing Non GPS activity with Strava

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.
Hi, my activities that are tracked by GPS sync with Strava fine but if the watch is in 'Spinning' mode where GPS is not used the activity is not recorded or updates to Strava????
Very annoying.
Best Answer
18 REPLIES 18

Just ran into the same problem, was hoping it would sync just to load up my HR data.

I tried exporting the exercise as a TCX and upload it on Strava but because there's no GPS data it says the file is empty.

Best Answer

I believe that the fundamental TCX format is indexed by poition point will any other parametric data tagged onto each of the tracked positions. Thus, literally by definition, only exercise data that includes a GPS track can be transferred using this format.

Mike | London, UK

Blaze, Surge, Charge 2, Charge, Flex 2 - iPad Air 2, Nokia Lumia 925 (Deceased), iPhone 6

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

@MikeF wrote:

I believe that the fundamental TCX format is indexed by poition point will any other parametric data tagged onto each of the tracked positions. Thus, literally by definition, only exercise data that includes a GPS track can be transferred using this format.

@MikeF no, that is not true. I explained this to Fitbit engineers in the Web API forum and they acknowledged that TCX is indeed a flexible format that doesn't require position information in the track. Garmin even provides TCX examples that illustrate use of format without position data.

Over last 2 years I've routinely used TCX to exchange spin workouts with other services - Strava, TrainingPeaks, Runkeeper, MapMyFitness, etc. My TCX files have a track with timestamp, HR, and cadence. Some gyms have spin bikes with power meters, and then my TCX file also includes power data.

Aria, Fitbit MobileTrack on iOS. Previous: Flex, Force, Surge, Blaze

Best Answer

If that's true then cool! I was working from some of the reference material 'out there' but I'm happy to be wrong if you know better @bbarrera.

Mike | London, UK

Blaze, Surge, Charge 2, Charge, Flex 2 - iPad Air 2, Nokia Lumia 925 (Deceased), iPhone 6

Best Answer
0 Votes

@MikeF

The Fitbit API documentation for "Get Activity TCX" has an error re: TCX and GPS:

https://dev.fitbit.com/docs/activity/#get-activity-tcx

About 8 months ago I reported the error, and provided details on how Garmin even has an example Forerunner 50 TCX file without GPS:

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Web-API/TCX-export-without-GPS-data/m-p/786005

Over 8 months and the Fitbit API documentation is still in error.

You can absolutely record spin rides with an app or device (e.g. Wahoo Fitness app, or Garmin Edge), export as TCX, and then import into another app/service (e.g. Strava or TrainingPeaks). For example below are two spin rides recorded with Garmin Edge. First on a spin bike with power/cadence sensors (HR from chest strap, temp from Garmin Edge), and the second from a bike without sensors (cadence on shoe pod, HR chest strap, temp from Garmin Edge).

Spin bike: Power Intervals workout. Recorded with Garmin Edge, auto-sync into Strava:

Screen Shot 2016-01-11 at 1.46.56 PM.png

Spin bike: Cadence Intervals workout. Recorded Garmin Edge, auto-sync into Strava 

Screen Shot 2016-01-11 at 1.47.28 PM.png

Example TCX trackpoint: Recorded Garmin Edge, output as TCX from Garmin Connect

<Trackpoint>
            <Time>2015-12-22T13:05:56.000Z</Time>
            <AltitudeMeters>82.4000015258789</AltitudeMeters>
            <DistanceMeters>0.0</DistanceMeters>
            <HeartRateBpm>
              <Value>105</Value>
            </HeartRateBpm>
            <Cadence>82</Cadence>
          </Trackpoint>

No GPS required!!!

Best Answer

Interesting. I was looking in a non-Fitbit source document but still got the same idea.

Thanks.

Mike | London, UK

Best Answer
0 Votes

TCX is a Garmin format, defined here:

http://www.garmindeveloper.com/schemas/tcx/v2/index.html

On that page is a sample Forerunner 50 TCX file (snippet below). The Forerunner 50 was a running watch introduced in 2007. Note that Forerunner 50 has no GPS, and therefore TCX file has no gps!

<Trackpoint>
            <Time>2007-09-15T12:28:45Z</Time>
            <DistanceMeters>40.5000000</DistanceMeters>
            <HeartRateBpm xsi:type="HeartRateInBeatsPerMinute_t">
              <Value>119</Value>
            </HeartRateBpm>
            <SensorState>Present</SensorState>
            <Extensions>
              <ActivityTrackpointExtension
                xmlns="http://www.garmin.com/xmlschemas/ActivityExtension/v1" SourceSensor="Footpod">
                <Speed>0.9296875</Speed>
                <RunCadence>65</RunCadence>
              </ActivityTrackpointExtension>
            </Extensions>
          </Trackpoint>

It is unfortunate that Fitbit has not corrected the error in their API documentation, as I reported it 8 months ago!

Best Answer

OK, you've lost some of my agreement with the last post I'm afraid.

1. I don't see any of this as an 'error', Fitbit simply haven't implemented the full standard. An 'error' would be if they'd implemented something incorrectly. What they have provided apparently works so there is no 'error' present.

2. Fitbit have have the right to choose how much or how little of this they implement. Thus, I don't see it as 'unfortunate', it simply is what it is.

I understand that users may want more but there is no contractual obligation on Fitbit to provide it. That's where 'market forces' come into play.

(This is where my business engineering background crosses over with my private fitbit use I guess!)

Mike | London, UK

Best Answer
0 Votes

@MikeF

Fitbit API doc for Get Activity TCX

https://dev.fitbit.com/docs/activity/#get-activity-tcx

states:

"TCX requires GPS data and heart data points, which are tied to GPS data points."

which is completely false and untrue. TCX does not require any GPS data. It is optional for a TCX file to contain GPS data.

Best Answer

Within the scope of Fitbit's implementation, this is a true statement as you have already pointed out.

As I said, our views obviously differ on this point so it's probably best to leave it there.

Mike | London, UK

Best Answer
0 Votes
Gosh, I'm an engineer and expect API documents to be accurate. If scoping then it needs to be stated. I believe you work in an engineering field, do you support hidden scope in technical docs?

The TCX statement doesn't clarify it is Fitbit's business decision. Instead it makes a broad statement and invites the reader to believe Fitbit is prevented from outputting TCX files without GPS data. In fact Fitbit engineers in the Web API forum were quoting that as fact when asked why TCX files were only available for GPS activities. Disingenuous at best, from where I sit.

Best Answer

+1 here, Fitbit could obviously fix this, I'd like my weight training to upload to Strava as well without having to manually re-create everything

Best Answer

Any updates on this? Seems absurd this still hasnt been resolved . 

Best Answer

Hi notdanbutdan,

i have made a web app that upload Fitbit NON GPS activities to Strava.

If you want to use go to fittostrava.com

At this moment it's a first release, so tell me if it works fine.

Thank you.

Marco

Best Answer

This topic is really interesting.

I was always wondering how come my friends with Garmin hardware could always upload non-GPS activities to Strava while I couldn't !
I really hope Fitbit engineers think about this seriously and implement / resolve it, so that we can all (auto) sync everything to Strava. 

BTW, I'm still wondering how come the Fitbit-sync-to-Endomondo does actually upload non-GPS activities there ! This seems weird. Maybe it uploads different kind of activity files? 

@shppotta 
Your web app is awesome ! Keep up the good work !

Concluding my feedback on the issue here, I have to say I'm disappointed that we still can't upload non-GPS activities to Strava. Strava is a very popular fitness platform, so maybe Fitbit should think this twice. For now, I have disabled the Fitbit<->Strava sync within the Fitbit settings, and I have set up an android app to do the sync automatically every X hours. It's called SyncMyTracks and has no issues with non-GPS activities. However, I would prefer the direct Fitbit<->Strava way, if it worked as we wish.

Everyone who would like to have this feature (non-GPS activities sync to Strava) please go here and vote for this Feature Suggestion !

Best Answer
0 Votes

fittostrava.com is a superb web app Marco! Simple, elegant and works like a charm 👌

Best Answer

fittostrava.com works great. But it upload every activity as a Ride. 

All in All wonder full work done . Fitbit should also implement this feature 

Best Answer

Great work done 

Best Answer