Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Under the Desk Elliptical...need to capture steps

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I recently purchased an under the desk ellipitcal stepper to keep me moving while working at my desk from 8 - 5.  I am thinking that I can rig my Surge around my ankle to count my steps.  Although it will not register a heart rate.  Any other suggestions to capture my steps?

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@sholloway116 Remember that the steps counted by your tracker are not meant as an arbitrary unit of measurement - they are literal steps. While using a workout device like an elliptical machine, you are not taking any steps, so we wouldn't expect to count any for that activity.

However, we definitely recognize that you are working hard and burning calories, so the best approach is to manually log that type of activity. This will ensure that all your workouts are represented with accuracy on your account.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
11 REPLIES 11

@sholloway116 Remember that the steps counted by your tracker are not meant as an arbitrary unit of measurement - they are literal steps. While using a workout device like an elliptical machine, you are not taking any steps, so we wouldn't expect to count any for that activity.

However, we definitely recognize that you are working hard and burning calories, so the best approach is to manually log that type of activity. This will ensure that all your workouts are represented with accuracy on your account.

Best Answer

I also have one, and use it sporadically throughout the day. Sometimes for 3 minutes, sometimes for 20-30 at a time, between having to get up and stop to leave my desk. So it is difficult to manually track the total time and effort when it's not all at once. And what would you even track the exercise under, anyway, if you were to attempt to manually log it? Elliptical doesn't seem to be very accurate and I'm not sure about spinning either. If anyone has any suggestions, that'd be really great!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

i am trying to figure this out too

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm not sure about your elliptical, but mine shows how many calories burned.  My goal is to manual input that information at the end of each day.  Not as easy as I hoped, but hopefully still tracks progress and work.

Best Answer

Nice to see that you're digging into the Forums @lmcferrin, let me give you a warm welcome to our Community. Cat Happy

I'm glad you're using your Fitbit to improve your workout routines! You're right about that most of elliptical machines have the option to give show calories burned. As you're manually login those calories from elliptical, I'd like to know if you're using the Fitbit App for mobile devices. You can manually log in a very easy way by tapping on Track Exercise tile > Log exercise > Enter you info.

If you're working in your desk and you're using a PC or Laptop, you can easily go to the Fitbit.com Dashboard > log in into your Fitbit Account > click on Log Activity  (at the bottom of the page) > Enter you info. In that page you can also see the summary of your previous workouts.

Log an activity.PNG

See you around! Woman Wink

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer
0 Votes

MatthewFitbit, has Fitbit's stance on this changed since August 2016 with the update from Cubii? See link to the article. https://www.americaninno.com/chicago/under-desk-elliptical-cubii-now-converts-strides-to-steps-and-s...

Please advise. I am tracking steps as part of a program and looking for ways to increase activity during my workday. 

Best Answer

Thanks for attaching the link @kdemilt! I'm sure that having this option will make a lot of user very happy but at this moment we don't have any update regarding this specific option. 

Though we are always looking for ways you can use your data to support your health and fitness goals. And is true that for the past few years, we’ve been the leader in developing direct partnerships through our open API with hundreds of the most popular health apps, wellness programs, incentive systems, and other services that have enabled people like you to make the most of your products and data.

With regards to the proposed integration, we continue to evaluate new partners and will update you if we have news to share. Fitbit has a history of working with the community to bring potential features to reality, and we thank you for the time you took to share you comment. We still have the suggestion here and we hope to have news shortly about this a some other API suggestions.

Thanks for your understanding. 

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I wonder if an under the desk stepper would count as actual steps? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I was able to get my under desk stepper to count steps if I stick my Fitbit on the TOP of my foot not around my ankle. I just stick it in my slipper lol. Quarantine life hack 😄

Best Answer

Worked for me, too. Probably not totally accurate, but close enough. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@sholloway116 alternately, you could purchase an inexpensive band extender for ~$5 that allows you to wear the tracker on your ankle. It's not going to be completely accurate as the tracker is designed for the wrist but it's going to capture the activity as steps. TBH, I'd purchased one years ago, as Fitbit never captured steps on my bike rides, but then again, it's a bike ride, not stepping, so never actually used it 😛 LOL

s-l400.jpg

Best Answer
0 Votes