Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

“Workout” setting yields 0 active minutes for rowing and recumbent cycling

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hello,

I understand that active minutes are “awarded” based on your heart rate being held above a certain threshold.

However, what I don’t understand is this:

I go for a 53 minute walk, and my heart rate is between 90-114. I am awarded 53 active minutes.

I set my FitBit to “workout” and I row for 90 minutes, with my heart rate between 90-128/95-134, depending on my cadence.  I am awarded *0* active minutes.

The only way I can be “awarded” those rowing active minutes if I use “workout” is by logging them in MyFitnessPal. FitBit then grants me 90 active minutes when the apps sync.

A few days ago, I was given 7 minutes for walking around the grocery store and pushing a cart.

And today, I was awarded 9 minutes—simply for working on my terrace garden. My heart rate would not have gotten even as high as the walk.

Why would the terrace work, pushing a grocery cart and the walk grant me active minutes, while the rowing session with the higher heart rate for a longer time grant me 0 minutes?

“Workout” for a recumbent bike session also awards 0 minutes. I only get credit for the session if I use “spinning”, or I log the session in MyFitnessPal.

As a test, I tried setting my FitBit to “spinning” when I used my rower yesterday for 80 minutes.

I made sure to keep my heart rate up and sustained and at a good rate. For 10 of those minutes, I made sure to pull at a good clip—to the point where I was breathing hard.

I was awarded 79 active minutes. (I’m not going to complain about a loss of 1 minute.)

Please explain why neither rowing nor recumbent cycling don’t count as active minutes if I use “workout”, but “spinning” does.

As a note: If I set my FitBit to “workout” and I walk on the treadmill, I do get active minutes.

Is it because I’m seated that “workout” doesn’t work?

Restarting my FitBit, and/or uninstalling and reinstalling the app does not yield a solution.  I have tried several times. I have also tried removing the FitBit from my account and reconnecting it.

Thank you, 

Heather Self

Best Answer
0 Votes
6 REPLIES 6

Rowing  is not step based. It will never be accurate.

I always manually log  these types of exercise

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you for the reply, but, per the subject line of my post, my question is why I get 0 *activity minutes*—not steps. I’m aware rowing and cycling do not yield steps. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Both rowing and recumbent (stationary cycle) are non detectable to Fitbit. Use spinning that may be found on your wrist to record your stationary bent. See question 2

How do I track my workouts with my Fitbit device?

Track your workouts in real time with the Exercise app to capture in-depth activity stats

Rowing may be better to enter through MFP

To answer your in asked question please see
What are active minutes?
Learn more about active minutes and how they're calculated
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @HCSelf,  I'm sorry but I can't help with your lack of registered active minutes. But as to the rowing I have a charge 2 and I select elliptical as a substitute. Do you have that option in the surge?  If you do it might be worth a try. 

Cheers. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Interesting idea! I shall have to try that. Thank you!

— Heather
Best Answer
0 Votes

I don’t get active minutes when I used my recumbent bike when I select The

Spinning exercise. 

Best Answer
0 Votes