Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

surge not allowing to swipe even after reset

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I have been using Surge for almost two years now. and since past few days only i face this typical problem that it is not allowing me to swipe. 

all i could do is to just able to switch to run option and then select free run and run! 

but since few hrs now, it got stuck at the display as fitbit logo and not getting switched off or not able to reset. 

can any one suggest please? immediately! appreciate. 

Best Answer
23 REPLIES 23

Welcome to the forums!

Doing the restart more than once helps some times.

Do it at least 3 times.

Restart
http://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/1186/?q=restart&l=en_US&fs=Search&pn=1

If that doesn't help
Contact Support
http://help.fitbit.com/?cu=1

Hope to see you around the forums! Join in on the discussions forums!

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

The battery maybe too low. My Surge was stuck this way and I cabled the watch up to a power module to recharge fully (several hours) and after charging I resynced the watch to the computer Fitbit Dashboard. It has worked since. The lesson I learned was to not allow the charge level below 50%.   David 

Best Answer

Hi @skvdubai and @Kentucky! Hope you're doing great! Welcome to the Forums! Cat Very Happy

Thanks a million @WendyB, for advising him to restart his Surge again, it usually has to be performed a couple of times. Some users have got better results if they do an small changes on the Settings and then try force sync the Surge with a compatible device.

For example changing the time zone in Advanced Settings in the Fitbit app (under the Time Zone option, turn off "Set Automatically", select a random time zone different from home time zone, and re-sync). You can change it back later on. It usually does the trick. Smiley Wink

@Kentucky About the Surge battery, it comes equipped with a rechargeable lithium-polymer battery. Charging completely takes one to two hours. You can wait for the notification or email when your battery is low to charge our Surge, update your Notification settings on fitbit.com. Also try to clean the contacts of your tracker regularly for better a better connection. Use a toothpick or toothbrush to clean the charging contacts; do not scrape them with anything metal because this may damage the plating and result in corrosion.

Keep me posted please! Woman Wink

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you so much. 

I have tried this several times but wasnt successful at all. 

Best Answer

Hi @YojanaFitbit

Thank you very much for the tips and the solution ideas. I have tried to change the settings @ date option and then tried also several times to restart the surge and sync! It was not happening at all. 

I am able to get the time and date display, but the time was like an hour back! 

And able to still clock my steps as i got the buzzer when i did 10,000+ today! But not getting sync at all. 

The battery is fine and charging and still the same not sync. 

I have tried last night to talk to the online support @ fitbit but these guys tell me that i have to buy a new one!! Well, thats a eventual solution and easy one - looking at it. 

But the basic question - why this problem should ever come when it is working continuously and consistently for last the two plus years. 

However, considering the electronics can go wrong in any device for that matter, but yet this is working! i am able to still select the only option the 'Run" and able to select "Free Run'. Thats it and nothing more than this - no swipe function and not sync. 

Best Answer

Hi @WendyB

I have tried to restart the tracker several times but yet it still doesnt work as used to. 

Thanks for the tip and i will continue to try that and see. 

Best Answer

Hi @WendyB @YojanaFitbit @Kentucky

Trust you are all doing great!! 

After multiple times(lost my count actually) - just today afternoon in the office did a same restart method and it started getting sync with the mobile. (I dont know the reason out of blue even why and how - but it just did). 

But still unable to swipe and may be i will just be able to run and log the data!!! I dont know why i cannot swipe the touch screen and use other options. 

Wishing you all great day and keep moving....

Best Answer

@skvdubaiIm glad its syncing now. But please contact support on your swiping issue. I'm sure they will take care of you

Contact Support
http://help.fitbit.com/?cu=1

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

Hi @skvdubai! Thanks for taking the time and try the suggested steps. Cat Happy

You've done an excellent work trying those steps. Did you tried to change the Time Zone and try to force sync after that? Apparently, it looks like your Surge is having some hardware issues. So if it doesn't help, as @WendyB mentioned, you can contact back our team to see what is the next step. Feel free to update your case with them, I'm sure they can further assist you with some options.

Have a wonderful day, and let me know if I can further assist you! Woman Happy

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer

@WendyB@YojanaFitbit

Good day. 

Its been 2-3 weeks plus, though i was living with the problem of not able to swipe the surge or use any of the options and choices - it was getting synced automatically, at least for few days. 

But now since few days, i am unable to even reset the surge!! I press the home button + the right side down button and then nothing happens even if i hold them pressed for 1 mnt or so. And it is not swiping nor it is getting synced! 

I am able to see the clock and the date display! This means the natural clock version is working fine. 

Its getting charged as i can see the green leds glowing and off when connected to a charge source. 

This has become frustrating as to why i am not able to use any of the functions suddenly, having done nothing, having not damaged the item, nor anything!!! It should work!!!!!!!

Do you think you have any suggestion for me please. 

Thanks. 

Best Answer

Hi @skvdubai! So glad to have you back! Thanks for your feedback and and for the time that you took to check all these details. I've already checked with our Support Team and they will be handing the case with you directly. Please confirm that they resolved the issue for you.

I'll be waiting for your response! Woman Very Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @YojanaFitbit Thank you for the reply.

I have had the chance to get online with the support staff on a chat. Revealed the details to them again.
They are looking into it and possibly they will get back with a solution.
Have a great day.

Moderator edit: Format

Best Answer

Hi @skvdubai, thanks for getting back to me and confirming that your case is already handled by our team. I'll be around in case that you need anything else!

Have a wonderful day! Woman Wink

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have exactly the same problem. Will not swipe and can only access RUN then FREE run. Very frustrating. Steps and heart rate monitor work OK and Syncs OK.

Best Answer

Hi @Lexie10

Noted your issue. Sorry to hear that! 

That same thing happened to be repeatedly and after some days i gave up because there is nothing you can do with this problem, in my case that i experienced. 

I tried resetting so many times and it just doesnt respond. Initially it was able to open the run option and then free run, but later on even it was not getting reset. 

The only option i could think off is to go for a new surge. Because it is such a nice piece of watch! 

Sorry that i couldn't be of any technical help here. But we have to move on!!! 

Best Answer

Hi @skvdubai thanks for the help, so nice to have you back! @Lexie10 Welcome to the Forums! Smiley Very Happy

Good to know that HR and Sync option is working. Have you tried to do the steps above? Some users have had good results after changing settings trying force sync and restart the Surge a couple of times. In cases that you haven't done so, give it a try and let me know if it's able to swipe after that. I'll be around! 

Please keep me posted on the resolution, I'll be happy to help further. Woman Very Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you for message, no nothing suggested by you or forum helps. Obviously we are not the only people with this or similar problems. As the strap issue is also a Surge major fault ( mine held together with superglue and a "chinese" made replacement in drawer) I will not buy another surge and will wait to see if Fitbit releases a decent replacement or "Smart Watch" as indicated. Best wishes 

Moderator edit: Word Choice

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Lexie10

I am with you on your decision. 

Some times the 'help' and support procedures dont work out at all, and when i asked the help line they said that this is a very unique problem that i faced! I respect the responses and at the same time there are limitations, technically!!

Though i used the Surge very comfortably and carefully over the last two years plus and never had any issues and it was all fine, till that day when it started not responding at all. 

I didn't wanted a replacement of an exact same Surge or for that matter replacement at all. However, i wanted to know the reason why it could fail? What is the technical reason for to fail all of a sudden! But the forum/help line didn't have the reply or the cause. Never mind, any electronic/micro processor chip based device is prone to failure at some point of time(as there is no guarantee for a life time). But still, to know the valid reason could be more convincing.

The problem here is - when we use a device over a period of time, we get used to it!! And sort of addicted to it because it performs for whatever efforts we put in and the data is so important to those who record it regularly to see their performance/abilities and improvements. And then changing to an other device could be more a task also because the change of enlistment of mates/friends/data/etc etc. but then is there a guarantee with  any device, for that matter?? I dont think so - technically speaking. 

Thats the reason alternatively i started logging my details in the ipod(NRC - Nike Run Club) - atleast to have a back up or contingency record of the data. 

Good Luck  - and best wishes as well!! 

Moderator edit: Word Choice

Best Answer

Hi @Lexie10, Thanks for popping out in the Forums! Sorry about the inconvenience you had with your Surge, thanks a lot for placing your feedback here. As @skvdubai explains there are some limitation on the options once Fitbit trackers are out of warranty, we're sorry to know you won't be stepping with us. But in case that you need anything else in which I can help, please let me know!

Thanks for sharing your experience @skvdubaiWoman Happy

Best Answer