Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit steps into MFP overestimating calories

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.
So I've just got my charge hr and I have linked it to MFP. When using Fitbit to track steps in MFP it estimates the calories burnt by completing approx 6000 steps as around 1400 which is obviously not right. If I switch to using my iPhone as the step counter it estimates approx 170 calories burnt which I guess is more accurate.

Anybody got any idea why the Fitbit step tracker is overestimating so much? I want to use Fitbit as my step tracker and not have to carry my iPhone about all the time.

Any help is much appreciated!
Best Answer
0 Votes
3 REPLIES 3

@Ben4885 Welcome to the Community! MyFitnessPal will sync activities and food to Fitbit and Fitbit will sync steps and weight. Everytime you sync and log food, there's going to be a calorie adjustment made in MyFitnessPal so it can show you the same amount of calories burned for both apps. 

Also, the calories burned that you're getting are going to be calculated based in your personal information. 

Have you had any calories burned discrepancy when you're using just Fitbit? Has this happened again?

Keep me posted Robot Happy

Want to get more active? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Sylvia,

I just got a new Fitbit Alta HR after my Fitbit flex finally retired itself. I’m noticing that it is telling me I burned over 2,500 calories when I walk 5.75 miles, but my Fitbit flex showed that I would burn around 2,400 calories when I walked 6. Are these numbers on my Fitbit Alta overestimating? I had great weight loss success with my Flex but am getting nervous that the HR is overestimating calories burned, and I don’t want to slow down my success. Thanks!

Best Answer
0 Votes

A warm welcome to the Community @Mrgn! Thanks for the details that you've mentioned. Each tracker has different algorithms, so you won't get the same information with each Fitbit tracker. In this case, I would like you to compare the data that you're getting with your Alta HR with previous days. You can learn more about it by checking How accurate are Fitbit devices?

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Want to get more active? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes