Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MyFitnessPal: How to correct calorie discrepancy from MFP to Fitbit

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

If you are currently using Fitbit Premium food plan and MyFitnessPal, you may have noticed a discrepancy in your calorie budgets. To align your food plans, it is best to disable Fitbit's Food Plan and add your MFP calorie budget as a main calorie goal in Fitbit. Both calorie displays will still update depending on your tracked activity and food intake, but there will be just one goal for you to strive and reach.

To align your MFP and Fitbit food plans, follow these steps:

1. Go to your Food Log

1.jpg

2. Click the arrows on Food Plan until you can find and select the option to "Edit Plan"

2.jpg

3. Click "Set a new Goal"

3.jpg

4. Add your starting and desired weight, then click "Next"

4.jpg

5. Instead of choosing the food plan options provided by Fitbit, click "Set my own Calorie Target"

5.jpg

6. Go to MFP, click Goals, then click "View Guided Setup" (unless you have a specific nutrition goal)

6.jpg

7. On your "Diet Profile", add all the information required

7.jpg

8. You will get a net calorie target for the day. Keep in mind that yours may differ depending on your personal settings

8.jpg

9. Go back to your Fitbit Food Plan and add the net calorie target you were given for the day, then click "Done"

Now you're set! Food logged in MFP will automatically edit your Fitbit calorie values for the day, and will reflect on your MFP calorie budget for the day. 

Things to consider: 

1. The accuracy of your Fitbit Log will depend on the accuracy of your MFP food logs.
  2. All exercises and non-step based activities must be logged through Fitbit, otherwise MFP will count them as double. 
  3. Basing your food plan on MFP's settings will disable your "In vs Out" gauge. This is because your calorie information will be displayed on MFP's screen.

Hope this helps you to get the most out of the Fitbit integration with MFP! 

Best Answer
6 REPLIES 6
So this is exactly what I was looking for, what I wanted to see!! As it would confuse me when looking at MyFitnessPal and it says I've say over eaten by 50 calories but then my Fitbit tells me I've got 800 left to eat. So I've just followed all your instructions and now it's saying I've over eaten, which I have a little, so my goal is 1580 but I've eaten 1949, so I'm over by 369. But yet I've got 3,290 calories going out so far today. So I clearly haven't over eaten. Why hasn't my Fitbit adjusted it so say I burn 200 calories my calorie allowance go from 1580 to 1780?
Best Answer
0 Votes

@jessakaalice Interesting. This might be related to a recent issue with MFP and Fitbit. Check out the thread I've posted by clicking here and see if that helps. Keep me posted. 🙂

Andrew | Community Moderator, Fitbit

What motivates you?

Best Answer

Blank

Best Answer
0 Votes
I'm sorry. I'm still a little confused. I was just looking at another thread that said to log on mfp...
https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10056868/can-someone-explain-the-point-of-logging-e...
Best Answer

I have an Ionic and it's linked to MFP. I've noticed in the last week that I don't seem to be getting credit for the calories I think I should for my activity. For instance, I ran four miles this morning and Ionic told me that I had taken 7111 steps and burned 451. As of this afternoon, I have a total of 12,500 steps. On MFP this morning, it gave me credit for 335 exercise calories after my run and has not changed all day. How can I have lost calories during the course of the day?

On Saturday, I ran 7 miles in the morning which was about 12,000 steps and burned 811 calories on the run alone. During the course of the day I walked 20,000 total steps. MFP gave me 741 exercise calories total that day.

My profile is the same on both Ionic and MFP (age, gender, weight and height). I have "Negative Adjustments" enabled in MFP. I have logged out of both and applications and logged back in. No change. Am I missing something?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I just changed from the flex 2 to the charge 3. While I like the HR functions I am confused by the interaction with myfitnesspal and calories burned reporting. I do have an office job with moderate to low activity.

With the flex on days when I was working out, the calorie adjustment for my steps was always corrected to be lower compared to non-workout days. This made sense for me because my overall activity level was considered.

I do not wear the tracker during workout and I add the workout in myfitnessspal and sync it to fitbit.

With the flex, this is a typical example for me when working out:

Calories burned (in myfitnesspal):

Training (as reported by treadmill): 420 calories

Calorie adjustment fitbit: 7184 steps / +109 calories

And not working out:

Recorded steps: 5.441

Calorie adjustment fitbit: 5.441 steps / +127 calories

Now with the charge 3 I do have the feeling that calories are way off:

Training (as reported by treadmill): 501 calories

Calorie adjustment fitbit: 5.928 steps / +705 calories

The calorie adjustment seems to be off by at least 600 cals. 

Is there any explanation for this? 

Best Answer
0 Votes