Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calories burned not showing on MyFitnessPal

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I've linked Fitbit with My Fitness Pal and although MFP seems to be syncing my steps, my calories burned are not showing up in MFP.

This had led to me wondering if I should ditch MFP and just use the Fitbit app to track movement and food intake! But when I look at the dashboard, Fitbit is not deducting workouts/exercise from my calorie total either.

Basically, I want to monitor my movement and I want calories 'earned' to be added to my calorie total each day. Is there a way to do that in Fitbit? Or figure out why it's no longer recording calories burned/earned in MFP, since I connected it to Fitbit!

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
70 REPLIES 70

Thank you for stopping by the Fitbit Community @Lizzie75. There have been some issues reported in regard to the connectivity between Fitbit and MFP. My best recommendation is to unlink and relink both accounts. Below you will find the steps you need to follow:

1. Sign into your Fitbit dashboard.
2. Click the gear icon in the upper right corner and select "Settings" from the drop-down menu.
3. On the left side of your screen click "Applications."
4. Under MyFitnessPal, click "Revoke Access."
5. You can then re-link the two accounts by going to http://www.fitbit.com/apps/myfitnesspal.

After relinking, you can verify that your accounts are syncing by using one of the following data points:

1. On Fitbit you can check for your meal summary and logged activities from MFP.
2. On MyFitnessPal, go to "My Home," then "Check-In." You should see your weight, Fitbit Steps, and Fitbit Sleep Minutes.

Please contact me back if you still experience the same. Smiley Happy

Melissa | Community Moderator, Fitbit

How are you fitbitting with your (pet) best friend? Show us!

Best Answer
I'm having the somewhat of the same issue. The link does
Best Answer
0 Votes
Having same issue still. On mfp calories are adding to my calories burned instead of deducting based on my steps
Best Answer
0 Votes

I am getting nowhere with this so I hope this issue has been resolved since this was posted - I have tried everything regarding restarting and reconnecting and disconnecting and logging in and logging out and there is just literally no Fitbit data going into MyFitnessPal. When I go to "Check In" as you describe, there is no information. No steps tracked, no calories burned, nothing. However, MyFitnessPal's data is going into Fitbit easily - calories eaten, etc. Also, shouldn't FitBit add calories to my daily intake after a workout? I'm very confused about all that as well.

It is sounding like I should just log all food into Fitbit and give up on MFP. I was really excited about the coordination between the two apps but I just don't think they actually work together.

Best Answer
As far as I am aware the only data that goes to MyFitnessPal from the Fitbit app is the number of steps and weight. While activities and food logged food in MyFitnessPal Will go into the Fitbit app.

Personally I use MyFitnessPal to log my food as I find it easier to find the items in the database that I want to add.

I use my Blaze/Fitbit app to track activities, in order to get my correct calorie adjustment in MyFitnessPal I log the activity tracked in the Fitbit app in MyFitnessPal as well. If you log the start time and activity time correctly you won't get double calorie credit in the Fitbit app and MyFitnessPal will remove the calorie adjustment for steps taken and use the activity calories.

The reason I do this is that I play squash and Fitbit does not have this as an activity while MyFitnessPal does. I need to track this as tennis on the Blaze/Fitbit app but this has a lower calorie burn than Squash so I neeed to log in MyFitnessPal to get the correct calorie burn.

I think the the two apps do work together pretty well once you get to know how you want/need to use them.

It would be great to just use the Fitbit app but for me it is lacking in a few areas, such as the types of activities and food logging.
Best Answer

Melissa - I did all these steps (3x - just in case I messed it up), and I still get no calorie adjustment in MyFitnessPal.  I see my calories in FitBit from MyFitnessPal though.  Was there an App Update that would cause these two to stop talking?

Best Answer

Hi there @dgainey13@MEVandiver and @Theo1967. I was revisiting this post and it seems its been a while since you posted.

Actually I agree with @Theo1967 comments. most of the times what I see other users do, I include myself too is to leave MFP specifically for food logging due to the variety of the food data base. Regarding the exercises can be use both, either Fitbit or MFP, however in this case is just matter to be careful in order to avoid duplicate activities. In some occasion the tracker may detect an activity that was previously logged on MFP. But as you said once you get along on how it works, it provide more options for keep track of your healthy lifestyle.

@MEVandiver@dgainey13. MFP and Fitbit should sync instantaneously. There may be an occasional 3-5 minute delay but it shouldn't take longer than this. So far there has not been made recent changes on how the information is shared between these integrations.

This is the chart of  the information shared between both accounts:

Fitbit > Steps > MFP
Fitbit > Calories > MFP
Fitbit > Aria measurements > MFP
MFP > Logged food > Fitbit
MFP > Activities > Fitbit

When there is a difference in calorie estimations between Fitbit and MFP, MFP makes a "Fitbit Calorie Adjustment. The adjustment represents calories burned above MFP's estimate and will update each time Fitbit syncs. If this is not working the only solution is what you have tried by revoking the access. Unfortunately we do not provide specific support for using the MyFitnessPal mobile apps or website.

I know there was an issue from MFP pal's end where the calories from Fitbit were not syncing but I 'm not aware if the issue still persist or under what circunstance happened this, so other recommendation would be to review with the guys from Support of MyFitnessPal if the issue persist.

See you around and if you have more questions, I'll be around.

Roberto | Community Moderator

"Great things are done by a series of small things brought together.” What's Cooking?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Melissa,

I'm still facing the same problem as @Lizzie75. MyFitnessPal is syncing the steps from Fitbit only, but not my workouts. This means a huge gap between burned kcal from Fitbit versus what I see in MyFitnessPal. How can I adjust this?

Best Answer

I'm really hoping you get a response (more informative than this...) as I'm having the same issue.

Steps and sleep minutes are being tracked, but my exercise calories are not carrying over to MyFitnessPal. I've also been looking through threads for over an hour and haven't come across a resolution. I can't imagine MFP would consider over 500 calories burned to be negligible and not worthy of an adjustment.

Best Answer

I am also having issues with linking. I thought MFP will adjust exercise calories based on burned calories in fitbit, so far I have 0 there. I can already see calories from my food log in fitbit and how many calories are remaining. In MFP I see steps and sleep minutes.

The essential feature I've expected is to count calories from food and exercise, giving me a quick glance in MFP of how many calories are remaining for a day. Is this not working and I should check it in fitbit? 

I've already tried relinking my account.

EDIT: I think I've found a solution. You have to select Fitbit tracker as source for your steps in MFP. It's on https://www.myfitnesspal.com/apps/step_trackers After this and sync, my calories from exercise were adjusted.

Best Answer

I have the same problem.    Steps are synced, from fitbit -> MFP   Food is synced from MFP -> fitbit.    Calories burned are not sent from fitbit -> MFP.   This used to work and now doesn't.    Not sure what is going on but it is frustrating.

Best Answer

What phandox mentioned above worked for me.

Although your steps may be syncing to MFP as mine were, there was another setting on the MFP website that needed to be enabled; go to myfitnesspal.com, select the "Apps" tab and then the "Steps" tab beneath it. 

From here you should be able to select Fitbit Tracker, which I thought was far from intuitive and should have been enabled by default when syncing the apps... In any case this did the trick for me and I've had no issues with my calorie adjustment syncing with MFP since then.

Best Answer

If you log into MFP and go into "Steps" in the settings menu and select "fitbit" instead of your mobile phone.. 🙂

Best Answer

Hello @gromnislash, @SunsetRunner and welcome aboard @KayDM@Norahben. The best recommendation when the information is not share across MFP with Fitbit is to revoke the access to reset the integration although there are a few things to try additional to this.

If the calories are not being adjusted  between Fitbit and MFP I can recommend the following post:  MyFitnessPal: How to correct calorie discrepancy from MFP to Fitbit

Also another setting is important to review is to enable the tracker on MFP as a device from where is recording your steps a it was mentioned before.

If the exercise are not syncing or you need to enable this settings perhaps the following post might be of your help.

See you around. Let me know if you have additional questions.

"Great things are done by a series of small things brought together.” What's Cooking?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have tried everything suggested here, including revoking access to mfp and then re-linking, disconnecting my fitbit from mfp and then reconnecting, logging in and out of both apps, resetting calorie goals in both apps, and selecting the fitbit in my steps in mfp.

I am able to see steps from my fitbit, but when I go to my exercises in mfp, no exercise is recorded. Additionally, when I view calories burned, no calories from my fitbit are synced with mfp. So, it is syncing some data, but not the calories/exercise. I know this is supposed to updated automatically, but nothing shows. There is nothing there for caloric adjustments (the issue is not that the adjustment is zero, but that there is NO adjustment showing at all, not even zero).

Any peeps still having issues with this in 2017?

Best Answer

My issue is that steps ARE showing in mfp, but not calories burned! So weird.

Best Answer

Hello @resistance, let me start by giving you a warm welcome to the Fitbit Community.  It's been a few weeks since you posted, so I'm wondering how it goes? Is the issue still persisting? Did you tried my previous recommendation about How to correct calorie discrepancy from MFP to Fitbit?

If you have and the issue still persists, please approach to MyFitnessPal support for more details. I been looking if there is an issue from our end, but so far there are no reports of a glitch.

Let me know if you have more questions. See you around.

Best Answer

Hi Everyone!

I am having a similar problem, but it's because I had an old MyFitnessPal account linked to my Flex at one point. Though I deleted the old MFP account, when I try to link my Flex to the new account it won't let me. Says "another MFP account is already linked to this tracker." Problem is there is no old account to go back to anymore to do the "disconnect." Any ideas how to rid my Flex of this old MFP ghost? Thanks!

Best Answer

UPDATE: I waited until the following day and the calories burned showed up! Guess I just needed to give it some time moving forward; it did not upload for past info.

Best Answer
0 Votes