Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Entering exercise on MFP or Fitbit?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I feel like I'm seeing conflicting info. On MFP, it says "Only log food and exercise on MFP" but on a Fitbit help page, I just saw to only add exercise onto Fitbit. On MFP, it comes up on a page right after successfully connecting your fitbit to MFP. On Fitbit, it's in the Third-party integration forum (https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Third-Party-Integrations/MyFitnessPal-How-to-correct-calorie-discrep...

I'm specifically not seeing an answer to this question: I take my fitbit off to do my strength training and water aerobic/training sessions because I wear a heartrate monitor and watch for those. So for example, I wore it today during a session that said I burned 300 calories. I did not wear my fitbit for that. If I don't log any exercise other than what fitbit has seen, then my earned calories (or whatever they're called) is 298. 

If I log my water workout on Fitbit, my calories earned stays at 298. If instead of logging it through Fitbit, I log it through MFP, those 298 calories disappear and instead I have the 300 calories earned that were added to Fitbit. However, these should be separate and I don't understand why it's one or the other. I was not wearing my fitbit during my water time. I don't understand why it wouldn't be around 600 calories earned. I have done other walking/short bursts of cardio with my fitbit. So 300 is about right (compared to other days with similar activity but no logged workouts)

I know there has been some buggy stuff going on, but this has been going on and I think my problem is I'm just not sure how to log these work outs. I'm on my feet quite a bit during the day and want to log that activity as well as my exercise activity. Thanks in advance for any insight on how I should be doing this. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 REPLY 1

I'm a bit confused by your example so I'll have to comment in general terms.

If you manually log an activity or use a 3rd party app like MFP to log it, then it will overwrite any calories tracked by fitbit at the time so there will be no double counting. Don't forget that fitbit tracks some calorie burn even if you are not wearing it (those calories you burn just keeping your body alive).

Manually logging in MFP or fitbit comes down to personal preference. My preference is to log just my food in MFP and just my activity in fitbit. To me that just seems more logical.

My suggestion would be to wear your fitbit as much as you can but when you do activities that fitbit can't track on its own then manually log it in fitbit.

Best Answer