Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit - Health Connect - Body Fat missing?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I've own a Fitbit Aria 2, it measures correctly my weight and body fat data and write them ok to Fitbit.

Since I own a Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra as my main phone, I use Google's Health Connect app (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.healthdata&hl=en_US) to sync and share Fitbit data to Samsung Health. However, Fitbit seems to only sync weight

I would like to know if there's any plan to being able to share body fat data to Health Connect app.

I was previously allowed to do that using a third party app called 'Health Sync' but I prefer to use Health Connect app.

Thank you.

Best Answer
0 Votes
8 REPLIES 8

It's good to see you participating in the community @Eluryh.

Thank you for sharing the details regarding the Aria 2.

I've been informed that you already contacted the Customer Support team for further assistance with this. In this case, they will let you know how to proceed. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, @ManuFitbit.

Yes, I've been contacted via Customer Support team. However there's no solution from them to my issue.

Fitbit app for Android can only share weight to Google's Health Connect app. I was asking if there's any chance that Fitbit devs include body fat as well, since body fat value is also written by Fitbit Aria 2 to the Fitbit app. As I said, I use Health Connect app to sync Fitbit weight to Samsung Health, but I wish I can sync body fat as well.

I attached an screenshot of what is currently available for sync (it's in spanish, you'll see that 'peso' (weight) is available but no body fat option)

Screenshot_20230925_120909_Health Connect.jpg

Best Answer
0 Votes

This data gets shared through fitbits web API, not the android app. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Rich_Laue so it's a Google's fault not retrieving enough data from Fitbit web API?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Since Google owns fitbit, I guess you can say that. 

All I said is the fitbit android app is not a part of the process. The process happens in the cloud. 

Does fitbit offer fat through their API? 

Does Google ask for this data? I don't know 

. I don't know what screen you took the screen shot is of. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Does fitbit offer fat through their API? 

Yes it does. Before using Google's Health Connect app, I retrieved body fat value with a third party app called Health Sync.

Does Google ask for this data? I don't know 

I don't think so if it does not appear on the screenshot.

. I don't know what screen you took the screen shot is of. 

Open Fitbit app, Settings, Health Connect, Manage Access, choose Fitbit. There you can see all data shared (including steps or weight, but not body fat).

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Rich_Laue 

Fitbit provides API to retried body fat (see here )

However this is not strictly a Web Api issue, indeed it's the Fitbit APP (in this case, the reasoning is the same for other apps) that need to integrate the Health Connect module to provide the data outside (in Health Connect terms we say to write). You can read more here. So it's not Google Health Connect that need to retrieve the data, rather Fitbit that needs to write them. Unfortunately also Fitbit moderators fail to understand this and wrongly closed several feature requests with the same "solution".

However Fitbit, despite being Google, badly implemented the Health Connect module, not only it limits the quantities of data it writes(as opposed to Withings for example), it even fails to read every single data from outside and I can't understand why.

For example: it could easily implement reading from nutritions apps, from running apps (for example I might run with another device or app and have my run imported in Fitbit and this would be very interesting as I would prefer, like my case, to use my Polar with H10 chest band for excellent data and then import the data in Fitbit, even via Google Fit as a middle point)

Formerly Giampi71 - Retired from Fitbit for good on November 13th 2023
Best Answer

indeed it's the Fitbit APP (in this case, the reasoning is the same for other apps) that need to integrate the Health Connect module to provide the data outside (in Health Connect terms we say to write).

@Dopovo that sounds reasonable and makes sense to me. That's what I was thinking when I opened the thread.

Unfortunately also Fitbit moderators fail to understand this and wrongly closed several feature requests with the same "solution".

That's sad to read... Then I really hope @ManuFitbit don't let it happen again.

Best Answer
0 Votes