Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit and MyFitnessPal calorie discrepancy.

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I have my fitbit account and myfitnesspal account linked together. I don't understand how the calories are worked out? I have emailed myfitnesspal and they haven't gotten back to me yet. I was hoping if someone else can help me, and explain to me how it's worked out? 

According to my dashboard I've burned 1528 cals.

Screenshot 2014-02-24 16.06.51.png

My fitness pal, I have -10 for my exercise. I don't get it.

Screenshot 2014-02-24 16.11.54.png

I have also noticed the more I exercise, the more I seem to have a lower calorie allowance? I don't understand how it works. Help Smiley Mad

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Nikki x
Best Answer
55 REPLIES 55

Hello, can anyone help me?

I have just got a fitbit flex for my birthday. I am a keen user of MFP and enjoy the food diary and exercise tracking elements of it.

The whole reason I wanted a fitbit was to more accurately gauge my activity levels through steps as opposed to relying on my iphone pedometer. I am all synched up with the fitbit app and my steps are being converted over to MFP, however it is not coverting calories burned through these steps. It just says the number of fitbit steps on the dashboard with '0' cals burned from steps. How can I remedy this? 

The fitbit app is telling me I have burned 1396 calories today with 3110 steps so far, and on MFP it says I have burned 0 calories. What can I do?

Thanks 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@rasmikumak Thanks! The best thing to do in this type of cases is to contact MyFitnessPal so they can continue helping you. 

@sammichell33 Welcome to the Community! It's great to hear that you got your Fitbit trackerRobot Happy. If you're not getting calories burned on MFP please unlink and link both applications. 

- Go to your Dashboard > click on applications > finally click on revoke access. 

Keep me posted. 

Want to get more active? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello! I'm new to the Fitbit world, I have the Fitbit charge HR and I'm confused as to whether or not I'm supposed to be manually logging weight training sessions, or my Turbo Fire and other DVD workouts in addition to the steps that are being tracked and transferred automatically from my tracker to MyFitnessPal? The number credited towards the excercise part in MyFitnessPal does not add up when I've put in a lot of activity and strenuous workouts! TIA!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Welcome to the Fitbit Community @Chellebelle_74! You should log all the activities that require more than just steps such as Yoga or Tennis. Because this will give you a more accurate data. The way that I recommend to user MFP is log food and activities in MFP and in Fitbit just let your tracker record all your daily activity. 

Additionally, you can learn more about it by checking this third-party post to know what's going to sync between those. 

Note: If you're using a Fitbit tracker that has the heart rate feature then your calories burned should be more accurate because it's taking into consideration your personal information and your heart rate. 

Hope this helps. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have the same problem!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Welcome to the Community @Kissie_cassie! Can you provide me with more details about the issue you're experiencing? If your apps aren't syncing then please unlink and relink both. If after trying this, you're still getting this issue then please contact MyFitnessPal directly so they can further assist you. 

Thanks for your understanding. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

In my fitness pal, click on apps, find Fitbit, click.  I do not enter my exercises, I left my tracker decide how hard I worked.  The phone app works better than my laptop app.  Sometimes (not often) they will get out of sync.  Unjoin them on my fitness pal, that should work.  For the phone app, just restart phone. 

So, your only assignment would be to work out and log in your food.

I hope this helps.

Best Answer

Hi,

This makes no sense to me. My fitbit device automatically tracks my exercises, does it not? For instance, on my charge2 it tracks weightlifting on your band when you press it, it then logs on your fitbit app. If I now log this session into myfitnesspal, won't log twice? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

you do not need to log your exercise into my fitness apl
Fitbit automatically logs your activity

--

Moderator edit: personal info removed

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi there do you mean that I cant log 2 miles of walking on treadmill as the steps have already been counted on my Fitbit? Thus meaning I cant add the 240 cals burned from my walk on the treadmill and the 300 cals from my daily steps on fitbit together to give me a total amount of 540 cals earned? I should only take note of the 300 from the fitbit? Thanks 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @Essexgirl1972.

I'd like to answer your question.

Technically you can log it if you want. There is a chance that the calories will just be counted as double. If you were wearing your Fitbit while using the treadmill then it should've counted the steps you took and the calories you burnt and thus adding the activity should not be necessary.

Let me know if there are any further questions.

Lanuza | Community Moderator

Remember to vote for posts that helped you out! Tired of the same workout music? Try a Podcast! 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

Two questions: My fitbit gives me back much more calories for walking than my mfp ever did. I'm nervous that it's giving me back far too many and don't know how to fix it.

Also, if I track through my fitbit that I am doing an exercise, it logs immediatly there so should I still add to MFP?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Welcome to the Forums @Taylormc12

I apologize for my delayed response. I'll be happy to answer your questions.

To answer your first question, keep in mind that Fitbit is talking into consideration more information, depending on the device that you have. It could be taking into consideration your HR if you have a Fitbit that does track that. Additionally, it could be related to the different algorithms used by the two apps.

If the activity syncs over to MFP automatically, there is no need to manually log it to MFP.

Hope this answers your questions! Let me know if you have any further questions.

Lanuza | Community Moderator

Remember to vote for posts that helped you out! Tired of the same workout music? Try a Podcast! 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

Just so I’m clear, the calories I’ve burned are accurate on my Fitbit then yes?  Even though Myfitness Pal is only logging the amount of time I walked and giving me a credit for 310 calories for 78 min of active walking. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I would say no, based on what I am witnessing with other calculators.

Use another website to calculate the estimated calories burned for a particular activity.

Use a variety of websites online to calculate the same activity. You won't obviously get the same results, but you may notice that the online website calculators give you estimates that are closer together than your Fitbit one.

https://keisan.casio.com/menu/system/000000000140

I use my fitbit to track steps taken, along with sleep habits. I no longer trust Fitbit.

Best Answer
0 Votes

For some reason when I allow my fitbit flex 2 to connect to myfitness pal, it automatically makes a 415 calorie adjustment EVERY DAY in MFP. And I mean 415 added calories. So if my daily calorie goal is 1600, each day starts by telling me that I have 1185 left because Fitbit takes away 415 on MyFitnessPal. Any reason why or any idea how to fix this?

Best Answer
0 Votes