Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit can't share my heart rate with Peloton

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I've connected my Fitbit and Peloton accounts.  I've searched Bluetooth on the Peloton for the Fitbit.  And I still have to go out and buy a separate heart monitor to use with Peloton because Fitbit won't tell it my heart rate?  I already spent a lot on the Fitbit Charge 4.  Why can't it broadcast my heart rate over bluetooth? This is such an obvious feature, but I've spent about an hour and a half trying to figure out how to make it work, without success.  I even called Fitbit support.  They acted like they had never heard the question before.  Seriously, Fitbit can't share my heart rate!?  Even my wife's little Amazon Halo does that.

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
21 REPLIES 21

Your Peloton does not sync with your fitbit Tracker, but with your fitbit account. 

Also fitbit does not own this sync with Peloton, Peloton is in charge of this. 

Best Answer

Not true.  The Peloton has bluetooth capability to receive any heart rate data.  My wife's Halo has a setting where it can "broadcast" the heart rate data, and the Peloton can receive it.  The Peloton works with any heart rate monitor that uses either bluetooth or ANT+.  Fitbit could easily have a setting to broadcast heart rate data over bluetooth, just like the Halo.  Why doesn't it serve as a heart rate monitor?

Best Answer

Welcome to the Community, @GGBoulder. Thanks for the input @Rich_Laue!

@GGBoulder You can share metrics from Peloton rides automatically to your Fitbit account each time you complete a ride. Peloton metrics like workout length, distance travelled and calories burned will sync to your Fitbit dashboard. According to Peloton's website: "The Fitbit and Apple Watch do not currently have ANT+ built-in, so you cannot directly track your heart rate on the Peloton Bike using these devices. However, you can wear your smartwatch/fitness tracker while you ride and have your metrics tracked separately."

See you around.

If my post was helpful, you can vote for it. You can also mark it as Best Answer if it was what you were looking for!
Best Answer

This is not helpful, nor current.

1.  I know that Peloton can share with Fitbit, I am asking for Fitbit to share with Peloton.  I want my Fitbit watch to share with my heart rate data with my Peloton so I don't have to purchase a separate heart rate monitor when I already am wearing a rather expensive one.

2.  Peloton no longer requires all heart rate monitors to use ANT+.  They now also allow bluetooth heart rate monitors.  Since my Fitbit already has bluetooth (that's how it connects to my phone), I would like it to be a device my Peloton can find and connect to.  If the Fitbit had a setting where it could broadcast my heart rate (like the Amazon Halo), then I could use it as the heart rate monitor while riding my bike.

Best Answer

Hi, @GGBoulder.

Even though Fitbit and Peloton can be connected, Fitbit can only receive your data but it doesn't have access to send your stats to Peloton. Regarding the heart rate monitor, Charge 4's Bluetooth can only connect and send data to the Fitbit app through your phone so it's not capable to connect with another Bluetooth device (like your exercise bike).

The information from the Peloton's website says that "If you would like to track your heart rate on the Peloton bike, you will need an ANT+ compatible heart rate monitor." and our devices are not ANT+ compatibles. You can find more information here: Peloton X Fitbit FAQ's.

Hope this helps.

If my post was helpful, you can vote for it. You can also mark it as Best Answer if it was what you were looking for!
Best Answer
0 Votes

The info you quoted from the Peloton website is outdated.  They used to require ANT+ heart monitors but now also connect via Bluetooth.

I know that the Fitbit currently uses bluetooth only to connect with the phone.  I'm saying that is stupid, it should also have the capability of connecting to *other* bluetooth devices.  I'm wearing an expensive (Charge 4) Heart Rate Monitor on my wrist and yet I have to spend $50+ on another one because the Fitbit is incapable of broadcasting over bluetooth.  Like I said, even the Amazon Halo can do that.  Fitbit even *has* bluetooth, but it won't broadcast.

Best Answer

Fitbit has secured this connection. The Linux community has not been able to break this. 

Even if Peloton connected to fitbit, would Peloton be able to isolate the heart rate from all the other data that it would also be receiving? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

My only other experience is with Amazon Halo.  It does not broadcast ALL the information.  There is a place under "Settings" where you can turn on "Broadcast heart rate."  When the exercise is complete, you can turn the broadcast off to save battery.

Since Fitbit is worn on the wrist and can show you your heartbeat, it makes sense it should have the ability to serve as a heart rate monitor.

Best Answer

@BraulioFitbit Peloton supports bluetooth connection, too. It has to be enabled in the settings.

https://support.onepeloton.com/hc/en-gb/articles/203418895-Connecting-A-Heart-Rate-Monitor-With-The-...

@Rich_Laue it's not about hacking the BT connection but about an option to broadcast the HR. I can do it on my Garmin watch, too. I select this option (on any HR sensor, wrist or external):

20211006_154618.jpg

and other devices (bike computers, other watches, mobile phones or Peloton) can find and connect to my watch as if it was just an external heart rate monitor. This is what @GGBoulder  is asking for. Not for hacking the BT stack of Fitbit.

@GGBoulder there are already suggestions posted:

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Suggestions/Allow-third-parties-to-access-live-heart-rate-da...

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Suggestions/Broadcast-heart-rate-date-over-BTLE/idi-p/408931...

One from 2015, the other from 2020. Both have the status "not currently planned" so I wouldn't expect you will get the broadcasting feature anytime soon.

Best Answer

Well fitbit doesn't have that setting and as your fellow fitbit users, we will not be able to help in reprograming your unit. 

For now, your request is impossible. 

As for broadcast your fitbit does that by default. 

Open the fitbit app on the phone, start walking. The tracker checks if the app is open, then sets up a link and you will see your steps in real time on the fitbit app. 

Of course this is all data, heart rate, distance, steps, calories, etc. This data is also in-crypted, in response to users complaints with the lack of their privacy. 

Best Answer

Pelaton would have to contact fitbit 

Not sure if it is possible but fitbit would have to send the event to Pelaton. 

Strava gets the heart rate sent, if GPS is used. 

However this would happen post event. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Rich_Laue it is possible for some Fitbit watches to send HR using third-party watch app. Then send real-time data to webserver and then have mobile client app to read it (the client app would be broadcasting HR over BT pretending being HR sensor). The problem is that the solution is very complex and isn't standard for the purpose, and it's a high maintenance for developers. Also, there is an issue of lag. When I use, Zwift (also virtual cycling workouts), I connect the sensor directly to tablet app whilst running the mobile Zwift Companion app. Zwift Companion reads the HR (and other metrics) back from the Zwift server and you can clearly see the delay in HR, power and cadence readings. Similar 3rd-party broadcasting app for Fitbit would suffer similar issues so it's not viable for developers to invest time and money, especially that trackers like Charge, Luxe or Alta would be excluded. If Fitbit won't come up with method of broadcasting HR (and that could be done with Fitbit mobile app as proxy creating BT HR sensor broadcasted by mobile phone - no need to change anything on the device level) then developers won't bother, users will be angry and Fitbit will continue being inferior in sports tracking and integration. Fitbit's choice.

Best Answer

I wanted to post an update about this since I’m a new peloton user as of May 2022 and was looking into this issue. Unfortunately, The peloton will only work with ANT+ devices even as of today. I know it seems silly, it’s not just Fitbit, Apple watches are also incompatible. So if anyone is still looking for this answer, I already looked into it, you’ll have to purchase a heart rate monitor that’s compatible with Peloton if you want your heart rate to show in your workouts. I am also very disappointed in this outcome.

Best Answer

@wishinteen yes and no. Yes, when it comes to Peloton bikes (hardware), they work only using ANT+, but no, the Peloton app (software) will work both with ANT+ and BT. Peloton can use an HR sensor paired via BT with the Peloton app or an ANT+ sensor paired directly with the Peloton bike.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yeah I have the bike+ so I’m not using the app which means unfortunately I have to purchase a separate heart rate monitor because it’s not compatible with my Fitbit. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Couldn't figure out how to just reply in general, so this isn't necessarily directly meant for you @wishinteen ... but is there any advantage to having the HR on the screen rather than just on the fitbit face, other than convenience? I am super frustrated that my Fitbit won't connect, but at least I will still have it on me tracking my workouts..

Best Answer
0 Votes

@redlipstick94 it's not only to see the HR. Not sure how Peloton works now but it used to have HR based training sessions and it required external HR monitor. Also, HR contributes to certain metrics. I'm not sure exactly how it works as I am more Zwift guy but with Zwift there's similar problem - it requires external HR sensor and HR data contributes to the training.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Did anyone ever figure this out?

Would be nice to share Heart Rate data between a Fitbit Luxe and the Peloton App on iOS. ---- I mean saying I'm using an iPhone or an iPad. --- These products should have a Fitbit App receiving HR data -- they also have the Peloton App on the same literal device. Is there no way for these two applications to share HR locally on the same device?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I don't think fitbit offers this feature through its API. 

Any sharing of data would be done after the fact and through the cloud. The apps can not directly talk with each other, and fitbit doesn't allow third party apps to communicate with the watch. 

Best Answer