Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit/run keeper/my fitness pal

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.
I have linked fitbit to myfitnesspal as well as run keeper. I think I am getting duplication in entry which is leading to incorrect calorie allowance. What is the best way to log activity so I get an accurate allowance and calculation of calories on vs calories out
Best Answer
0 Votes
7 REPLIES 7

I think the trick is to not link both MFP and Runkeeper to fitbit. Link one only and then link the third app to that.

Best Answer
0 Votes

As Steve mentioned, don't link them all toghether. I use MFP as the middle app and have it linked to both Runkeeper and Fitbit. Runkeeper and Fitbit are NOT directly linked to each other. Data flows bidirectionally through MFP. Once data reaches Fitbit (usually in a couple of seconds) I do minor edits for time and distance and everything is good.

Best Answer

This would be ok except both fitbit and Runkeeper are recording my steps taken when I go out for a run.  Anyway to pause fitbit while runkeeper is recording my run progress?  (I know I'm not OP but I have the same issue).

Best Answer
0 Votes

Your Runkeeper activity (assuming times for both apps are set correctly) should "overwrite" your Fitbit activity during the time period. You aren't duplicating steps because Runkeeper doesn't track steps.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Good point, but does MyFitnessPal not give calorie for both sets of exercises?  I have a bit on myfitnesspal for logged exercise and then also a fitbit calorie deduction from steps, so aren't they being duplicated that way?  Sorry if I'm not explaining myself well 😞

Best Answer
0 Votes

In my configuration, Runkeeper sends info to MFP. MFP sends info to Fitbit. Fitbit deconflicts recorded and synced activities during the same time periods. Fitbit syncs "Fitbit Adjustments" to MFP based on recorded (manually, automated, or synced) activity. These adjustments don't change anything except for adding/subtracting calories with your daily allotment in MFP. You can see the adjustments in your MFP exercise diary. I usually don't pay much attention to MFP's caloric goals except to see that they mostly align with my Fitbit targets. I use the Fitbit dashboard for managing my day's diet and activity.

I ran a test of sorts yesterday that I think might help answer your question. I ran 8 mi on an indoor track and didn't use Runkeeper since I couldn't use GPS. I tracked time and calories burned using my Polar HRM. I wore my Fitbit Force and didn't initiate any manual activities. Since I didn't use Runkeeper, there was no info to sync across platforms except for the Fitbit Adjustment calculated based on VAR and steps recorded by my Force. I confirmed in my Fitbit activity log that no activity was listed but that ~19K steps and 8+ mi were listed for my totals. MFP received a relatively large Fitbit Adjustment based on this data. I then manually entered the 8 mi run in Runkeeper using my HRM recorded time and calculated calorie burn. This data then synced to MFP, which in turn synced to Fitbit. My Fitbit activity log then showed the MFP running activity. The numbers of steps didn't change but my distance and calories adjusted slightly based on the Runkeeper data. Also, the relatively large Fitbit Adjustment that MFP previously received was significantly reduced because of the new activity data from Fitbit based on the data that synced across all three platforms. There was no duplication, only adjustments for the Fitbit and MFP platforms based on data received from Runkeeper.

Hope that all makes sense.

Best Answer

That is absolutely perfect and 100% what I needed to know.  Thank you muchly ❤️

Best Answer
0 Votes