Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use MapMyFitness and Fitbit?

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I'm wondering how people use these two apps together. I can't seem to figure out how to sync them in any effective way. Thanks!

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@Savvvs Just wanted to add something else. Fitbit will sync distance and calories to MapMyFitness apps. However, MapMyFitness activity doesn't sync to Fitbit. 

P.S. Welcome to the Community

Want to get more active? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
22 REPLIES 22

Did you link them through the app gallery?

https://www.fitbit.com/apps

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Savvvs Just wanted to add something else. Fitbit will sync distance and calories to MapMyFitness apps. However, MapMyFitness activity doesn't sync to Fitbit. 

P.S. Welcome to the Community

Best Answer
Thanks. That's really helpful. That was what I was wanting it to do. So it makes sense that it wasn't working well.
Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

So if I upgrade to the surge, it will sync all my workouts into Map My Fitness? I have been tracking all my hisory in the map my fitness app with the flex but need to upgrade.  I want to ensure if I only use my surge it will also relay all GPS workout information into Map my fitness.  Just want to make sure I am clear on it that will happen. thanks in advance for the help!

Best Answer

@cad22 Hey there! Fitbit will still sync distance and calories to MapMyFitness, it won't sync each activity into the third party app even though you have a Surge. However, you can post this idea in our Ideas Board because those suggestions are viewed directly by our engineers and developers and the best of this is that people can vote for them. 

Hope this helps. 

Best Answer

Sylvia,

My Surge connects with MMFvery reliably, but no data seems to migrate from Surge to MMF.  I've read elsewhere that if I go to My Dashboard on MMF and scroll down, I'll find the data.  Sounds good, but for some reason there is no My Dashboard option on either my MMF app or my Fitbit app (there's a Dashboard, but no My Dashboard).  Regardless, the only way I've found to keep MMF updated with my Surge is to manually Log a Workout in MMF.  Lately, I've been spinning quite a bit.  The hooks are all in MMF for workout title, date, kind of workout, duration, and start time.  I cann see why I would need to enter the workout name myself, but Fitbit tracks everything else - none of it transferes as nearly as I can tell.  Shouldn't it?  If not, what value is there in simply being able to connect?

Best Answer

@tomwalker8 Welcome to the Community! Thanks for all those details. This is the data that's going to sync between Fitbit and MyFitnessPal: 

What syncs?
Fitbit > Steps > MFP
Fitbit > Calories > MFP
Fitbit > Aria measurements > MFP
MFP > Logged food > Fitbit
MFP > Activities > Fitbit

Fitbit steps and sleep data can be viewed in the "check-in" section of MFP. checkin.png

My recommendation will be to let Fitbit keep track of your information and log any non step based activity in MyFitnessPal. 

Hope this helps. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I don't think anyone was talking about my fitness pal... they were talking about map my fitness. It would be nice if these could talk in an effective way to each other.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Welcome back @Kyle_w_h! I want to apologize for the previous reply. Currently, MapMyFitness and Fitbit is one way integration. You can learn more about it by checking this third party post

I found this idea suggesting an improvement between Fitbit and MapMyFitness. You may want to upvote for it. If it doesn't have all the details that you wan to see in this integration, feel free to post your own

Thanks for your understanding! 

Best Answer

Jawbone synced automatically with MapMyRun including distances. Why doesn't Fitbit allow this? What's the point of linking the two apps if I have to manually input my distance into the Fitbit after using the MapMyRun app? MapMyRun is far more effective for running, so I don't see the two as competitors.

Best Answer

Hey there @AlexinSA! Thank you so much for your feedback about this integration. Fitbit is always trying to improve its features. You may want to vote for this idea Charge HR and HR connecting with MapMyFitness because those suggestions are viewed by our engineers and developers. 

Thanks for your understanding. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

9 months later this is still a disappointment. Bought the ionic just to learn this. 

Best Answer

A warm welcome to the Community @beenjammin! Currently, the information that's going to sync to other applications is from one account to another not exactly about the Fitbit tracker you're using. You can learn more about what other apps you can link to Fitbit and what data is going to sync by checking this third-party post

Your understanding is truly appreciated. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

When reading the description of the Fitbit Ionic and seeing that it would sync to a MapMyRun, which I use, I was excited. No more running with the phone in pocket. To claim that it syncs with the app but all that will sync is the steps,ridiculous. Just don’t say it syncs. I see friends syncing there runs off their smart watches immediately after.When I read the description of the ionic it got me excited. In reality you have to sit at a desk top to import your run. Not cool! Wouldn’t have purchased this. Fitbit could solve this issue. Others are doing it. Figure it out or don’t say it syncs. This is a running app, we don’t care about steps. We want to see our route and other stats.

Best Answer

I'm looking for a solution!!

Best Answer

It's great to have you here @beenjammin and @2522lbb! Thank you so much for your comments about how can this be improved. You may want to check this post Third Party Apps - FAQ Options, there you'll find more information about how other apps work with Fitbit and which one decide what's going to sync to Fitbit. 

Your understanding is truly appreciated. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Your comments are really not helpful.

I feel that this is an issue with Fitbit and Under Armor, that should be resolved as soon as possible.

Fitbit run, bike, and heart rate data syncs perfect with Strava, why not MapMy products?

Garmin has no issue at all syncing with MapMy product and Strave, or any other fitness app you choose to use.

I had a Garmin vivo that worked perfectly, where I was able to sync to MapMy, Myfitnesspal, and in an odd configuration use Strava to get the workout data into my Fitbit app.

Now that I purchased an Ionic, which I regret, I have lost the ability to have my run and bike data sync into MapMy apps, unless I want to do it manually.  Why would I want to do it manually.

Fitbit as a corporation needs to get over whatever issue they have with Under Armor and fix this!

Patronizing messages on this board such as thank you for joining and please be patient, don't really help. Do they?  I would like to know that a. Fitbit is working on this with Under Armor and b. what the estimated time of completion is. 

That would be helpful.  

I feel that if this cannot be fixed in the near future I should throw my fitbit products in the trash and go back to Garmin.

Best Answer

MapMyFitness activity will pass through MyFitnessPal to Fitbit app, I do this all the time.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I can now get Fitbit Ionic GPS and HR data to pass to Endomondo, then Endomondo passes the data to MapMyFitness.

Oddly enough the workout shows up in the MapMyFitness dashboard but not in the feed and as far as I can tell it doesn't send notifications to your friends.

I was going to get rid of my Ionic and get a Garmin VivoActive 3 HR...but instead I decided to give up on UA programs and just start using Strava Full time.  The Strava premium tools are quite nice.

FWIW I have done extensive testing and found that Ionic/Fitbit works well with Strava, RunKeeper, and Endomondo. I use Strava to get the Ionic workout data into iHealth.  I have an Aria Scale and use MyFitnessPal to pass weight data to iHealth.

At this point I am not convinced anymore that this is a Fitbit problem, I feel that UA i most likely at fault, with some inflexibility on the part of Fitbit.

Best Answer
0 Votes