Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Indoor Rowing - integrating with ErgData (Concept2)

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

It has been discussed how indoor rowing should be one of the exercises available on Fitbit, but since it may be tricky to implement that (guessing by the terrible data I get on my Charge 3 when I use my Concept2) I have a much simpler solution.

Wouldn't it be possible that Fitbit, while importing all of the other data from ErgData, would simply import the much more reliable heart rate provided by a heart rate sensor connected to the rower (I use a Tickr but the rower accepts many other brands)?

Fitbit adding it's poorly heart rate measurements, while rowing, to the exercise itself, is providing me with terribly inaccurate stats like an outstanding cardio fitness level, when what's actually happening is Fit combining a 10km ride with a heart beat which doesn't get over 105.

Couldn't you just import the complete set of data from ErgData?

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi again.

It doesn't make any sense but I totally understand.

As a brand Fitbit probably doesn't want to recognize that other brands may be giving much more accurate data in such an important selling point of this product, even if that has a toll on its users experience.

It's a shame that only now I've discovered that Fitbit is more of a toy than a fitness device and it's costumer support is so passive. I would return it in a breeze if that deadline hadn't already passed.

Live, learn and try to educate others so they don't make the same mistakes.

EDIT 5/3/2020 - 14:45: Concept2 support answered me on your attempt to push responsibility to a third-party on a shortcoming of your software/hardware. Concept2's answer to your "It's up to the owner of the third-party app to implement or update features for their app..." is "...it's not possible to send over heart rate to Fitbit from third-party sources - they appear to only support heart rate from their own devices recorded at the time." which is just sad because it's not a technical impossibility. It's a choice. From someone deeply deeply sorry for acquiring a Charge 3 who's now saving to buy a proper Garmin device, thank you for your help.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
9 REPLIES 9

@SunsetRunner Welcome to the Community. Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback and Fitbit and ErgData. 

Fitbit doesn't own or maintain third-party integrations. It's up to the owner of the third-party app to implement or update features for their app. Unless there's some sort of limitation on Fitbit's side (e.g. no Fitbit SDK), then it's safe to assume that the owner of the app is the one to contact if you're interested in seeing the integration improved. Learn more about it by checking the Third-Party integrations - FAQ

I'll be around if you have any additional questions. 

Want to get more active? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SilviaFitbit thank you for reaching out to the community.

Just to be clear, when an app like Strava imports Concept2 ergdata it completely shows on Strava (the same happens with Training Peaks, etc) that means that the app is taking the HBR from my log and using it to calculate important stuff like my performance, need to rest, etc. When the Fitbit app imports a Concept2 log and posts it as an exercise on my feed it ignores the imported heart beat record from the log (which is being measured by a Heart Beat Monitor) and uses its own heart beat log (from the Charge 3) for the exercises's period of time and then uses it to calculate terribly inaccurate stats like my cardiofitness level, which means nothing at this point because I'm rowing miles and miles with a fake 100-105 heart rate.

Considering this, can you confirm that it's a Concept2 shortcoming in the interface, when all other apps show the complete log from my activity? Are they totally in control of what is recorded as an exercise in the Fitbit app?

Thanks once again.

V

Best Answer

@SunsetRunner Thanks for getting back. 

I appreciate the clarification made. As you mentioned, Fitbit doesn't have an option to track rowing activity, therefore the information that you'll get won't be accurate at all. In this case, you may want to manually log the activity but you won't receive heart rate data. 

I'll be around if you have any additional questions. 

Best Answer

Hi again.

It doesn't make any sense but I totally understand.

As a brand Fitbit probably doesn't want to recognize that other brands may be giving much more accurate data in such an important selling point of this product, even if that has a toll on its users experience.

It's a shame that only now I've discovered that Fitbit is more of a toy than a fitness device and it's costumer support is so passive. I would return it in a breeze if that deadline hadn't already passed.

Live, learn and try to educate others so they don't make the same mistakes.

EDIT 5/3/2020 - 14:45: Concept2 support answered me on your attempt to push responsibility to a third-party on a shortcoming of your software/hardware. Concept2's answer to your "It's up to the owner of the third-party app to implement or update features for their app..." is "...it's not possible to send over heart rate to Fitbit from third-party sources - they appear to only support heart rate from their own devices recorded at the time." which is just sad because it's not a technical impossibility. It's a choice. From someone deeply deeply sorry for acquiring a Charge 3 who's now saving to buy a proper Garmin device, thank you for your help.

Best Answer

And to complement your answer: Fitbit doesn't have an indoor rowing activity. Ok, that's fair. But it imports activities (like any other top brand app) from Concept2 and names them Indoor Rowing, showing it's length, duration, calories burned, etc. There's no excuse (apart from the marketing one) to not discard Charge 3 terribly inaccurate readings on heart rate when rowing and use the ones provided by Concept2 on their data.

Sorry for any inconvenience, I'm just so terribly frustrated that I hadn't bought a Garmin device by now, since they all understand this and allow ANT+ devices to connect to their fitness trackers, even if they're not made from Garmin. I guess Garmin is more worried about user experience than e-marketing.

Best Answer

@SunsetRunner Thank you for getting back. 

I truly appreciate that you shared the reply you got from Concept2. I understand that this can be frustrating. 

This type of feedback help us improving our features offered, we always welcome feedback and this is why we have our Feature Suggestion board, in case you would like to post your idea, please do so. Our team reviews these ideas and the status changes based in Fitbit's plans. 

Hope you could give Fitbit another opportunity in the future. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am using the Concept2 rowing machine and the concept2 Bikeerg. Fitbit is synchronizing the data of the rowing machine quite correct, but with the Bikeerg the amount of calories is much too high. Where the Concept2 indicates about 300 - 400 calories, the Fitbit dashboard shows values between 3000 and 4000 **ahem** if a decimal point has been moved. Has anybody else this problem with the Concept2 Bikeerg?

Best Answer

Hi 

I’m having the same issue for both indoor and water training. It’s so frustrating. Did you receive any advice? If it can’t be sorted them I’m returning my watch and buying a garmin.

thanks

Best Answer

Old post, but content is still relevant.  I was rowing last night ( C2 PM5) and heart rate was way up. >140.  Fitbit asked 110 BPM. Would you say fitbit is accurate or just lagging  ?  Should the charge4 body be on the inside of my wrist? I do like a lot of the fitbit world, but this is a deal maker/breaker.

Best Answer