Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MyFitnessPal is not logging calories properly

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

When I add up my  exercise calories on my Fitbit it is way off on my fitness pal. for instance today Fitbit says that I burned 775 calories through exercise yet my fitness pal says I only burned 548 calories. Why is it doing this. It did it yesterday too.  It is really frustrating. I tried adding exercise to make the calories match up but it just adds it to total calories burned in the day.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
0 Votes
2 REPLIES 2

It's nice to see you around the forums, welcome @Samc46! Note that only steps from your Fitbit will sync to your MyFitnessPal account. 

MyFitnessPal.png

Based on your profile settings (which should be the same in both Fitbit and MFP) the system expects you to burn a certain amount of calories per day. If your activity is lower than expected then you will burn less than that.

If the negative adjustment is on then Fitbit will tell MFP that you have been less active and will reduce the calories you can eat. If it is not set on then it won't adjust the calories down in this case. Whatever it is set to, if you are more active than expected then Fitbit will tell MFP and it will raise the calories you can eat.

Said that, MyFitnessPal pulls your calorie burn directly from Fitbit's total daily calorie. We then project forward to the end of the day based on your calorie burn so far. If this full-day number is different than MyFitnessPal’s estimate for your daily calorie burn, an adjustment will be made to your caloric intake goal. This adjustment can either be positive or negative. If the adjustment is positive, this indicates that your calorie burn for the day as reported by Fitbit is greater than MyFitnessPal’s estimate. If the adjustment is negative this indicates that the partner's reported calorie burn is lower than MyFitnessPal’s estimate.

Since the adjustments are made on MyFitnessPal you should activate the negative adjustment in Fitbit by doing the following: 

Log in to the full MyFitnessPal site at www.MyFitnessPal.com and click the main "Settings" tab, then "Diary Settings." Check the box for "Enable Negative Adjustments" then click "Save Changes.” If you are typically unable to sync your device until late in the day, you may wish to leave negative adjustments "off." You can learn more about the adjustment here.

In case that your both apps are not syncing correctly, I recommend to unlink the accounts and them link them again. Doing this should be able to resolve any issues between the account.

To do that, follow these steps:

1. Sign into your Fitbit dashboard.
2. Go to the Applications settings on your account.
4. Under MyFitnessPal, click "Revoke Access."
5. You can then re-link the two accounts.

If you notice that MFP or the Fitbit app are not syncing or transferring all the data to each other, we might have to do some troubleshooting steps to make them connect. Remember you don't enter any food log from the Fitbit app, but you will be able to see all the food entries from my MFP in the Fitbit app. 

The tile called "Uder/Above" is the summary of your calories eaten vs. calories burned from your tracker. So for better practices use my MFP to log food and the Fitbit app to have all the workouts, you can check what is the data that they transfer in this master post. 

The tile called "Left to Eat" that you have in your Fitbit App will show you the total amount of calories that you have the option to keep consuming during the day, always depending on your Food Plan. You can find an amazing explanation on how the Food Plan works in this post.

PS:  I moved your post to the Third-Party Integrations as there are more chances to get app related replies here.

Hope this helps!

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have consumed 420 calories so far today yet my Blaze is showing 1,345 calories.  How do I adjust this setting so it logs properly?

Best Answer
0 Votes