Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Myfitnesspal double counting calories in Fitbit

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

When I enter data into my fitness pal - which syncs with Fitbit- the  meals are often double counted. Is there a way to edit the information in Fitbit?  It will be correct in the fitness pal app but incorrect in Fitbit. I would appreciate any help. 

thanks!

Moderator Edit: Updated Subject For Clarity.

Best Answer
17 REPLIES 17

Hi, @SunsetRunner! Not sure if this is what you're seeing or not, but sometimes I've found that mfp doesn't delete the old food entry when you adjust something over there. If that's what you're seeing, you can just delete one of the entries on the Fitbit side. It usually resolves within a day or so. You can also try just deleting the Fitbit entry and manually syncing the services again.

MakMak | Community Council

If you find a response useful, please mark it as a solution to help others.

Check out the Lifestyle Forums for ways to get more active!

Best Answer

@MakMak Thank you for this solution. This happened to me too when I moved food items from a meal to another on MFP, fitbit logged them for both meals. This method isn't ideal though because it leaves the calories in data incorrect for the rest of the day which is undesirable.

Is this really an issue on MFP's side? Because MFP displays my food log correctly, leading me to believe that there is something wrong with how fitbit gets their data from MFP, for example, by not checking for removed or rearranged items.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Yes it’s not a MFP issue as that data is correct. But Fitbit incorrectly syncs data and there is no way to edit the data on the Fitbit side.

Katrina
Best Answer
0 Votes

My understanding of how it works is that Fitbit gives mfp permission to edit your Fitbit account (that's why you sign in to Fitbit through mfp) and mfp sends over your information. Especially when you edit a meal after entering it (adding additional food, changing a portion size, etc), mfp has to go into your Fitbit account, delete the old meal, and send over the new meal summary. Sometimes this doesn't seem to work right, for whatever reason. Fitbit doesn't pull in the data, mfp sends it over, so my guess is that yes, it is in fact a mfp issue.

MakMak | Community Council

If you find a response useful, please mark it as a solution to help others.

Check out the Lifestyle Forums for ways to get more active!

Best Answer

Hello there @mlam. Welcome aboard to our Community @SunsetRunner and thank you for your great input @MakMak. My apologies for the late response regrading your concerns.

I was reading the meals logged in MFP side, are double counted in your Fitbit account. This is an odd behavior that I would like to know closer. For this I'm wondering how it goes? Is the issue still persisting? Is this issue happening only with logs coming from MFP? Is there any other third party app connected either to your Fitbit account or to MFP?

If you are still having these troubles, feel free to share a screenshot of what you are seeing to have more context and find a solution.

See you all later!

Roberto | Community Moderator

"Great things are done by a series of small things brought together.” What's Cooking?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@RobertoME

Here is how to reproduce the bug for me:

1. Log a food, for example 1 piece of gum (2 calories) in Snacks on MFP. MFP says total calories for the day is 2.
  2. Check fitbit, a log for snacks of 2 calories shows up.
  3. In MFP, move the piece of gum food from snacks to breakfast. On MFP, the total calories for the day is still 2, same as before because the piece of gum has been removed from snacks and is instead in breakfast.
  4. Check calorie intake on fitbit.
  5. On fitbit, total calories for the day is now 4. 2 for breakfast, 2 for snacks.

I'm running MFP and fitbit on android and PC, issue happens in both. I use no third-party apps in conjunction with fitbit other than MFP, and on MFP I have no apps connected other than fitbit. The issue persists and it's only on fitbit's end.

Thank you for your time looking into this issue.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi there @mlam, my apologies for the late response and thank you for sharing with me the steps to reproduce this issue. effectively I follow your steps and you are correct, the calories are being double counted in the Fitbit Dashboard.

Capture2.jpg

The reason of this is because the integration doesn't tell your Fitbit account you are moving an entry to a different category, so your Dashboard takes this as another log from MyFitnessPal.

I will pass this information on to the team, in the meantime if you need to relocate a food log in MFP, try to either make another entry eliminating the existing one, or delete the duplicate log from your Fitbit Dashboard.

See you around and I appreciate you have brought this to my attention.

Roberto | Community Moderator

"Great things are done by a series of small things brought together.” What's Cooking?

Best Answer

I have an update.

Fitbit doesn't seem to track the change when you move an item from a meal to another in MFP, but it does track deleting an item. So an easy solution to this problem is to never move items in MFP, but instead delete them and add them to the correct meal.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, I have an issue where I enter food into MFP, such as a snack at 80 calories. A few minutes later it will sync to Fitbit app but it shows the snack as 160 calories.  Has anyone come across this before, is there a fix?

Best Answer

Log into your Fitbit dashboard and go to log. There you will see your calories and other macros for each meal. You should also see where Fitbit has created a duplicate line for a meal or duplicates lines for multiple meals. I am unclear why it happens, but if you go to the left hand side of the line that is incorrect you will see an X that you can click on it to delete the duplicate line. When you delete the duplicates, Fitbit will match MyFitnessPal. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

This has been really annoying me. Is there a way to fix this? 

if I pre add a meal so I know what I can eat throughout the day and change it, or delete a meal or adjust measurements it just goes as a double up of calories . Unless I completely delete a meal from Fitbit, and then delete from MFP and try add the meal again it will still add it on top of the original meal so doubles and then some.

so annoying. Please can this be fixed 

Best Answer

I’m having this very same issue!! Also looking for a solution. I can’t even delete duplicate entries because it’s grouping them together 🤦🏻‍:female_sign: And when I delete on MFP and re-add and the re-sync, Fitbit still just adds the calories on top of the old submission. I can’t even get into my Fitbit food log to edit it—just keeps spinning. So annoying. 

Best Answer

This is happening to me now too

Best Answer
0 Votes

This is happening to me too. I don’t generally pay attention this function of Fitbit, but just decided to and realized this was happening. Not really sure how long it’s been going on though since I just started paying attention to it

Best Answer

This has also started happening to me in the last couple of days. Fitbit does not seem to recognise when I delete food from my fitness pal so I end up with duplicate calories. I tried disconnecting and resyncing but it has not fixed the problem.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Happening for me too!

Driving me crazy 

Have updated both apps, disconnected and reconnected but no change!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I tried that I also tried a live chat twice with Fitbit but was unsuccessful. In the end I managed to fix it. For me the issue was the my fitness pal app.

I logged off the app and then deleted the app from my phone. I then reinstalled it, logged in and suddenly I could see all of the duplicated food items. I deleted them and resynced to Fitbit and it’s now working for me. No more double counting.

Best Answer
0 Votes