Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I or shouldn't I enter exercises and/or steps as a calorie adjustment in MyFitnessPal?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I am a very new Fitbit user (just got my Charge 2 on Friday). I've been using MyFitnessPal for a few weeks with mixed results, so I bought a Fitbit so that I could get a more accurate reading of how many calories I'm burning every day and during workouts. I've seen several posts on these forums with mixed answers, and I'm looking for as clear a response as possible:

Should I be recording my exercises manually on my Fitbit (clicking to the exercise screen, holding the start button to begin, and stopping when I'm done), or should I avoid using this feature for specific workouts? I ask because it's 5:08, I'm currently at 2,084/2,500 calories burned on my Fitbit, and I'm at 2,199/2,000 daily calories in MyFitnessPal, but MFP says I still have an allowance of 263 calories.

Thanks in advance!

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 REPLY 1

I always manually record my workouts they way you described on my Fitbit but I also have it set up (in the Exercise tile) where it automatically recognizes if I've ran, walked, done the elliptical machine, biked, done any sport or aerobic workout for more than 10 minutes. 

What your seeing is that at 5:08 you've already eaten all your calories for the day (2,000 goal) but that you've only burned 2,084 out of your 2,500 goal. Keeping your deficit in mind of 500, MFP is saying that you still have an allowance of 263 calories because Fitbit is estimating that you are going to burn more than your BMR (set when you entered your age, weight, activity level) between 5:08 and midnight and is giving you extra calories in the form of a Calorie Adjustment. 

Personally I think MFP overestimates my BMR calculation so I don't follow MFP's calories. I follow Fitbit's. 

Best Answer
0 Votes