Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strava workout equals extra steps

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.
I've been noticing all week that when I manually log a treadmill workout on Strava, it adds about 3,000 extra steps to my step total in the Fitbit app. I'd like to think I'm that awesome, but I don't think I'm taking that many steps in the shower while my Fitbit is sitting by the sink! 😉 It doesn't effect the step count in any challenges, just the dashboard. Anyone else notice anything like that?
Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

My guess is you're taking longer strides on the treadmill than Fitbit guesses you would based on your height and this undercount gets corrected once fitbit gets the distance synced over from strava.

When I record runs in strava they eventually get synced over to fitbit, including the distance of the run.  Fitbit replaces my stepcount recorded during the run with what the stepcount *should* be (distance run divided by stride length).  For me, this usually results in a 10-15% increase in steps.  Since the sync usually happens soon after the completion of the strava activity, the stepcount increase typically happens while I'm taking a post-run shower.  

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
4 REPLIES 4

Hi @Cabingirl

Have moved your post from the iOS to the Third-Party Integration section to increase the chance of getting a solution.

Wishing a wonderful weekend

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thank you!
Best Answer
0 Votes

My guess is you're taking longer strides on the treadmill than Fitbit guesses you would based on your height and this undercount gets corrected once fitbit gets the distance synced over from strava.

When I record runs in strava they eventually get synced over to fitbit, including the distance of the run.  Fitbit replaces my stepcount recorded during the run with what the stepcount *should* be (distance run divided by stride length).  For me, this usually results in a 10-15% increase in steps.  Since the sync usually happens soon after the completion of the strava activity, the stepcount increase typically happens while I'm taking a post-run shower.  

Best Answer
0 Votes
That makes sense. Thanks!
Best Answer
0 Votes