Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tasker instructions to automate Drivebit. Automatically log driving.

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.
Hi all,

This is my way of using the Tasker app (found in the Play Store) to automate Drivebit.
If you're like me, and drive a lot for work, you just want to get in and get out without thinking about logging drive times and starting apps.

I found a few descriptions on using Tasker, but they were not really clear on what to do. So I hope this step by step guide to what I did helps people.

I use a HTC One S and I have a car dock, so when I get in the car, I put the phone in the dock. As soon as I start the car, the phone charger gives the phone power. So my criteria (profile in Tasker) is that the phone is on it's right side and it has USB power. This will start DriveBit and automatically push the start button. When I stop the car, turn off the ignition, the phone loses the USB power, and this hits the stop button automatically. 

Download Tasker and Drivebit first.

In Tasker 
1) when in the profiles tab, tap the + button down the bottom. Then because I want to start my app when the phone is horizontal on the right hand side, tap the "state" context. Then select sensor, orientation and then right hand side from the drop down box.
2) tap the Tasker logo to go back.
3) the screen will now ask for a new task. Tap "new task" and give the task a name e.g. "Drivebit Start". Tap the tick.
4) the screen will now go to the "Task edit" page. Tap the + button and select "App".
5) when asked to select the App Action, tap "Load App"
6) select Drivebit from the list of apps.
7) tap the Tasker logo to go back again.
8) now that you are back on the Task Edit page, tap the + again.
9) the screen will now show the Select Action Category. Tap Plugin and and select Drivebit. The next page will give some edit options. Tap the icon shaped like a pencil to edit the configuration.
10) on the next page it will show the Drive bit options. It will show a drop down box with "start" as the first option. Select "start" and tap ok. It will return to the action edit page.
11) Tap the Tasker logo to go back. It will now show the two tasks (load app and configure).
12) Tap the Tasker logo to go back. You will now be on the main page. Tap and hold the Orientation Right Side to open up a second criteria for the action to happen. 
13) Tap add, state,power, power and then select USB. 
14) Tap the Tasker logo to go back to the main page.

This has now told Tasker if the phone is on the right side AND has USB, then start Drivebit and auto start.

Now to set it up to stop when I turn off the ignition or remove power to the phone.

1) On the main page, tap and hold the task name "Drivebit start"
 2) this will open a box that gives the option to Add Exit Task. Select this option.
3) in the next box select New Task and give it a name e.g. DriveBit Stop
4) the edit task page opens, so tap the + button and select "App"
5) select Drivebit from the list of apps. And tap the Tasker logo to go back
6) this will bring you back to the task edit page. Tap the + and select Plugins, Drivebit and then tap the configuration pencil logo.
7) this opens up the Drivebit options so select stop from the drop down box, and tap ok.
8) tap the Tasker logo to go back to the task edit page and tap the Tasker logo again to return to the main page.

That should be it. 

I have tested this and it works fine for me. No accidental launches or other glitches.

Best Answer
5 REPLIES 5

Okay, I'm jonesing to do this...might need to get my IT son's help but I'll give it a go by myself first.

I've had a problem with DriveBit seeming starting 'on it's own' ( which I doubt...I've probably gotten it to start when I was getting my tabata app to start...oh, ah). What made me cranky was that the DriveBit time overwrote the 'Activity' time I'd started when I started my walk. Probably doesn't make much sense, I'm probably just blabbing.

At any rate, this Tasker-DriveBit piece you've put together should help me! Thanks for posting.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Howdy.
I found a few glitches when I was starting out playing with Tasker. Took me a few goes to get it right.

I've now changed phones and had to rewrite the profile.

If you need any help, let me know and I'll try to write a profile to suit.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, can you write a profile that launches DriveBit when the GPS records a speed greater than 8mph?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Sorry but i would not be inclined to go through all this Tasker + Drivebit to count car miles.

for me personally i thought the Drivebit would deal with the problem without going through another app, which it should do anyway.  Why on earth do we need two apps to do what one (drivebit) claims to do.  Unless i can get drivebit to deal with the car journey my Fitbit is in the bin.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

People. This is an old thread. 

Things have changed.

I don't even have a Fitbit anymore.

Oh, and it doesn't bother me if you're not inclined to follow a guide written to solve an issue that is no longer relevant to me. 

If you're going to throw a Fitbit in the bin because a third party app doesn't do what you want it to do, talk to that third party app developer.  Or work it out yourself. 

Best Answer
0 Votes