Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Fitbit Products with Ubuntu Phone

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

As some of you may or may not know, Ubuntu for Mobile Devices ("Ubuntu Phone"/"Ubuntu Touch") has built-in Fitbit compatibility which as best I can tell, is due to the efforts of Canonical and the Ubuntu for Mobile Devices Development Team...

My question is - just how compatible is ths with Fitbit products?

Has anyone used Ubuntu for Mobile Devices with a Fitbit product?

How much data is captured? Is the data captured in real-time? Can the Fitbit product be used independently (i.e. without connecting to other devices, such as an Android smartphone)? Is there anything worth noting that doesn't work?

The reason I ask is because I am looking at getting some Fitbit products for the wife and I (probably the Fitbit Charge HR, but possibly the Fitbit Surge), and AU$229.95 (US$161.41)-$AU399.95 (US$285.95) (each!) is a lot of money to spend on sometihng in hope that it works or works well...

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@SunsetRunner see the Galileo project, I've been using it for 4 years.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
3 REPLIES 3

@SunsetRunner,

Welcome to the community!

Frankly, I'd be skeptical if they had full (syncing with HR and GPS) support, but you never know.  Fitbit is pretty guarded about the integrity of the data (to the point where they don't allow steps from devices other than Fitbit on challenges), so I'd be skeptical if they could truly sync devices.

That said, the easiest way to figure this out is to track down a friend with a Fitbit (preferably a Surge so you can try out all data, including HR and GPS) and have them log in to their account to see if it syncs.

I hope this helps.

Frank | Washington, USA

Fitbit One, Ionic, Charge 2, Alta HR, Blaze, Surge, Flex, Flex 2, Zip, Ultra, Flyer, Aria, Aria 2 - Windows 10, Windows Phone

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SunsetRunner see the Galileo project, I've been using it for 4 years.

Best Answer

Thanks for that @Rich_Laue!

Obviously the Galileo Project won't synchronize with Ubutun (Touch) smartphones direclty... But it looks like a work-around that might work.

Best Answer
0 Votes