Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

it feels like no fitness tracker company "gets" it....

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

It feels to me like no fitness tracker company "gets" it.

If you want to go beyond a simple tracking of your steps, it takes voodoo and magic to do it.

I have:

Fitbit Charge HR

Nokia Steel HR

Garmin Forerunner 235

I wear my Fitbit Charge HR for every day use.  I love the Fitbit app, the challenges, and the fact that my friends are on there.

I wear my Nokia Steel HR when I want a more stylish watch.  It doesn't integrate directly to Fitbit, so I have to use http://www.fitnesssyncer.com to transfer all of my steps and sleep data back to Fitbit, but Fitbit puts a hold on the data for several days so it can't be used for any challenges.

If I go for a run, bike or outside row, I use my Garmin Forerunner 235 as I want the GPS data, I want to be able to upload it to Strava and Garmin Connect and any other GPS app friends may use.  I use https://tapiriik.com/ for that.  This data doesn't really show up on Fitbit very well, it's in the log, but that's it.

I'm not the only one with this "problem", I see tons of posts with people just wanting to integrate their data.  Fitbit, and the others, aren't a total picture of health and activities, more they are a snapshot of your active life based mostly on their own devices. 

I understand the hesitation to branch out and allow people to integrate this information, your end goal is to have others buy your device rather than going elsewhere.  But if there are gaps in the functionality of your devices, either provide that functionality or give people the ability to integrate their full active life.  It just makes sense.  There has been this gigantic gap in fitness tracking since the beginning, it's time it changed.

Best Answer
5 REPLIES 5

Hi @sspeed. I hear what you’re saying but must ask ... for style, function and built in GPS, have you checked out the Ionic? It’s a beauty!

Best Answer

I've seen the Ionic.  It's not bad if you like digital watches.  The Versa is cleaner looking.  Neither are stylish watches you'd wear with a dress outfit like the Steel HR.  Here's the problem though, from the posts I read, if I go for an outdoor row for instance, you can't classify that as a row.  Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems run or ride was the only option?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello again, @sspeed. A couple points:

The Versa offers many clock faces ... many of which are analog. I can provide a couple screen shots if you wish. 

The Versa will support 15 exercise modes. Rowing is not on the list, but 
I’m guessing that if it is on your wrist when you row, the movement will be picked up. However, rowing has been mentioned several times in the Feature Suggestion Forum. Check it out and add your vote to the suggestions. This is where the Fitbit developers judge interest in a new feature. 

Here is the list of currently recognized exercises:

• Run
  • Bike
  • Swim
  • Weights
  • Interval Workout
  • Workout
  • Spinning
  • Golf
  • Hike
  • Tennis
  • Stairclimber
  • Pilates
  • Circuit Training
  • Bootcamp
  • Yoga
  • Elliptical
  • Walk
  • Martial Arts
  • Kickboxing
Best Answer

Thanks for your response.  Unfortunately rowing is one of my main aerobic activities.  I've learned a painful lesson over the years not to buy anything on the hopes of future functionality.  I realize there is a forum to vote for the feature, but often it seems like those votes go in to limbo land.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

Welcome to the Forums @sspeed. Thanks for being around @SunsetRunner.

@sspeed Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and feedback on the matter. Please know that we are always looking for ways to improve and suit all of our users needs and wants.

I understand why you feel that way about the Feature Suggestions board but I can tell you that we do take them all into consideration and they are not ignored. You can read more about the way that board works in this FAQ.

If there is anything we can help you with, please let us know.

Lanuza | Community Moderator

Remember to vote for posts that helped you out! Tired of the same workout music? Try a Podcast! 🙂

Best Answer