Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PurePulse 2.0 news and reviews

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Fitbits description about it:

24/7 Heart Rate Tracking with PurePulse 2.0

With an all-new multipath sensor, Sense delivers PurePulse 2.0—Fitbit’s 24/7 continuous heart rate tracking for exercise, sleep tracking and everything in between.

Here are some mentions in different reviews since the Sense launched regarding PurePulse 2.0, with key points underlined:

"The Sense boasts improved heart rate tracking with its PurePulse 2.0 technology, which uses a new multi-path heart rate sensor. Basically, that means it’s checking your heart rate in more ways and in more places, which, when combined, should provide a more accurate picture of what your heart is doing. This is something I would have liked to spend more time testing, but early results were promising. I would spike my heart rate doing some exercise and then would manually count my beats per minute using a stopwatch and compare it to the Sense. Not only did the Sense generally stay within a few BPM of my manual count, but it would usually get up to speed faster than the Garmin Fenix 6 Pro Solar, which seemed to have a bit more lag."

- The Verge

https://www.theverge.com/21450123/fitbit-sense-review

"Sense uses Fitbit's new PurePulse 2.0 heart rate monitor, which the company says has an improved algorithm to offer its "most advanced heart rate technology yet." However, I didn't have the best experience with it during my workouts. 

To test it out, I wore the Sense, Apple Watch Series 6 , and Polar H10 heart rate monitor, and compared my stats. Throughout three separate runs, I found my average heart rate on the Sense was always off by about 10 to 20 beats per minute (BPM). Now, contrast that with the measurements from my Apple Watch and Polar strap — both of which were only about one to two BPM off from one another.

Throughout my runs, I noticed the Sense struggled to keep up with change in pace in real-time. For example, when I was at a light jog, the BPM on the Sense matched the rest of the devices. But when I'd ramp up my speed and increase my heart-rate, it would take a while for it catch up with both the Apple Watch and the Polar H10.

I also tested it during a quick, 15-minute kickboxing session and ran into the same issue. But this time, the average BPM was off by about 20 BPM."

- Mashable

https://mashable.com/review/fitbit-sense-smartwatch-review/

"We took the Sense for a pretty intense spin session and noticed no unexpected dips in heart rate that indicate an issue with fitness trackers. Our heart rate shown on the watch face mirrored our efforts on the bike, with only a slight delay as you'd expect from any wrist-mounted heart rate monitor."

- Techradar

https://www.techradar.com/reviews/fitbit-sense

"My “biggest” problem with the Sense, however, was heart rate-tracking during exercise. This may be due to the new Pure Pulse 2.0 algorithm, but in general, my workouts had average bpm readings that were about 5 bpm lower than my Apple Watch SE and the Polar H10 chest strap. That’s not that serious of a change. However, I did notice that sometimes the Sense lagged by as much as 10-15 bpm compared to the Watch SE and Polar H10. This wasn’t uncommon in the early days of wearables testing, but I can’t remember the last time I saw two trackers that were more than 5 bpm apart in real time.

This lag didn’t occur all the time, or even in every type of exercise. I only encountered it while running outdoors. Upon reviewing my heart rate data after my runs, however, the graphs from the Fitbit Sense, Apple Watch SE, and Polar H10 corresponded with each other. That leads me to believe Fitbit’s exercise app might struggle to keep up with real-time data for certain exercises. For instance, I didn’t have this problem with strength training, walks, or yoga sessions. This isn’t going to be a problem for everyone, but if you are someone who trains according to heart rate zone, it’s not ideal. I’ve asked Fitbit whether this might be an exercise app issue, but have not yet received a response. Regardless of whether it’s an algorithm or app issue, it’s more of an inconvenience than a sign the Sense is irredeemably inaccurate."

- Gizmodo

https://gizmodo.com/the-fitbit-sense-is-one-hell-of-an-ambitious-smartwatch-1845097433

"First example, this relatively easy paced run , compared to the Garmin HRM-PRO chest strap and Apple Watch SE, both of which were fairly similar, except the Fitbit Sense was often 20+ bpm high..... // .. You can see how for the first 10-12 minutes it’s all over the map – in some cases by 20BPM. It’s nuts.... // ... having a third device to compare against (more soon), I can say without question the Fitbit is wrong here./// .... Or we can go with one of my other faster paced workouts, with a few intervals tossed in. And the Fitbit Sense was wrong almost the entire time, by at a minimum 10bpm (which, is a lot). And sometimes 15-20bpm. It’s the yellow line at the bottom. /// ...In fact, the only thing that performed worse than it was the Whoop 3.0 strap, because…well, Whoop. In fact, during a few runs, I started wondering if Fitbit had licensed the tech from Whoop, since it was often equally as bad and often failed in semi-similar ways. The yellow line of the Fitbit Sense, and the blue line below are similar during these intervals. Low, slow, and inaccurate. // .... Look, it’s bad. And even when it somewhat appears close above – that’s only because you’re skewing your expectations by the parts it’s 10-20bpm off. Being 3-5BPM off looks ‘normal’ by comparison, but that’s still wrong. And bad."

- DCRainmaker

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2020/09/fitbit-sense-in-depth-review-all-the-data-without-the-clarity.ht...

Conclusion:

It seems to me like the PurePulse 2.0 really won't be much better than the old one, and won't be enough for those/us who do intense gym workouts and HIIT. While it is a mixed result, some of these reviews point out the same issue that is found in the Versa 2, which is that it rarely keeps up with the BPM during intense workouts. This means that I will continue to have to bring my Polar H10 to the gym.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My History:

I bought the Versa 2 on release day and was extremely hyped about it. Quickly I realized it's flaws however ,especially considering the HR monitor. It just wouldn't measure my HR correctly during workouts.

Several indepedent tests had the same result as me;

The HR monitor on the Versa2 worked fine while doing nothing, but as soon as I hit the gym it totally missed everything. Weird part is; it got it mostly correct whenever I was running. No matter if I was outisde running or on the mill, it was pretty accurate with a variation of 2-3 BPM from my H10. But as soon as I did a gym workout session, it completely missed.

Compared to the Polar H10, which is highly accurate, the results during one month of gym workout 6 days a week was:

- missed average HR of 15-20 BPM

- missed peak HR of 15--20 BPM

- missed burned calories with 200-300

Where the Versa 2 showed lower numbers than the H10.

I've discussed thjs issue in the forums and had several other avid gym-goers with other types of accurate HR monitors try it out, and they all had the same results. Obviously I scoured the forums and talked to customer service about this issue and did everything they recommended as well as everything they didn't; having the watch sitting lower down not so tight, having it higher up real tight, switching arms, all kinds of different distances and tightness levels etc. I even tried shaving where the watch sits to ensure maximum readibility.

Best Answer
26 REPLIES 26

Same experience with my two Versa 2. In spinning class the HR was sometimes 150% of my HRmax !!
So my hope is this new PurePulse 2.0 technology. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

If anyone finds more reviews regarding this topic, please post it. Especially if the review tests the PurePulse 2.0 thoroughly!

Best Answer

Here is good review about Fitbit Sense and Pure Pulse 2.0 accuracy as well:

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2020/09/fitbit-sense-in-depth-review-all-the-data-without-the-clarity.ht...

Best Answer
0 Votes

I did a hiit workout this morning with the Versa 3 and did not note it to be any better than my old versa 1. Similar to other watches, it just can't "keep up" with the changes in heartrate the way a chest strap can. It also seemed to be a bit lower than the manual counts I had. 

Best Answer

@Rimvydas 

Thanks, I'll add that to the original post!

Best Answer

@scottytunesSorry to hear that, and thanks for being an early adopter. Now I know not to upgrade the Versa 2.

Really shameful from Fitbit. This is one of the core features in my eyes.

Best Answer

My conclusion is that optical sensors will never be able to deal with accurate heart rate readings particularly when exercising, and PurePulse 2.0 is not any better.

My Versa 2 is overestimating my HR by 15 or 20% when I am running.

Therefore, only a chest strap can be accurate, but unfortunately, Fitbit doesn't support external ones (has never done and will probably never do). With Garmin watches, it's possible to buy a cheap chest strap and connect it via ANT+.

Best Answer

@Mithras90 true, however, there's an exception - PolarOH1, an optical sensor which isn't worn on the wrist and gives really great results comparing to the chest strap. The wrist isn't the best place to wear an HR sensor. Connecting external sensors is an essential feature of a sports watch so Fitbit devices are not something I would buy for serious training.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@t.parkerIndeed. I honestly didn't even think of checking if Versa2 had plugins for external devices because it was so fricking obvious to me that it ought to have it. Guess how dissapointed I was when realising I couldn't connect my Polar H10. Any serious fitness-watch must be able to connect to other devices, that was such a given to me that it didn't even dawn om me that there was a possibility that the Versa2 couldn't.

@TomtomatoYeah it's a mystery why Fitbit hasn't incorporated ANT+, or even made an attempt to connect to external devices.

You are correct, optical sensors won't ever be as accurate as a chest strap, however the PurePulse 2.0 technology get's beaten by other wrist watches. Apple smacks them out of the water in most reviews. Even if it's not possible to ask that they perform as a chest strap, I really think they ought to perform at least as good as their direct competitors.

Best Answer

Or, at least as good as previous models. My OG Versa was super spot-on, during all workout types. 
I’m sad my Sense is struggling! 
I am seriously considering returning it unless they address the heart rate in accuracies. I have until the 13th. I really love my Sense and I don’t want it to not be accurate!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Beezy1978 Do you have an update on this? Have they fixed anything through software updates? Or is it still just as **ahem**ty?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Did you return it? I just bought one (actually 3) and having issue with the heart rates on all of them. Thought I got a lemon but doesn't seem that way. I'm so disappointed. My OG versa (versa 1) worked perfectly fine.. until it died. This is so frustrating. 

Best Answer

Can confirm nothing has been fixed. Bought 3 Senses in December and they're all terrible with the HR when it comes to exercise.  Wore one on one wrist and one on the other and for at least half of the workout they were 20-30bmp off from each other and not always one higher than the other sometimes they would switch. So ridiculous. 

Best Answer

Have the issues resolved itself for you with any update or similar? 

My versa 2 has become even worse than before, and simply won't register any bpm above 130 at all. It's like it degraded over time. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@JamieF. , please forgive my curiosity – why did you buy THREE Sense? 😆

Best Answer
0 Votes
Because they all didn't work!! Thought eventually I'd get one that worked
properly. Returned them for a Versa 2 (and didn't update). Much more
accurate with HR during exercise.
Best Answer

@JamieF. Interesting. I've had two Versa 2's in a row that were great out of the box, but after Firmware update with zone minutes, Heart rate is almost as bad as Versa 3. You're just using yours as is shipped and no zone minutes?

Best Answer

After testing several fitbits, polar and Garmin, I'd recommend getting the Garmin Venu 2 if you want accurate tracking.

My findings are that Fitbit has by far the most accurate sleep tracking (they're miles ahead of everyone else), but everything else is off by so much that I don't understand how they haven't been sued to hell and back 😂 (Fitbit basically over estimates absolutely everything by quite a significant amount, at least in my case. People do have different metabolisms, so their caloric estimation might be correct for others)

Polar seems to have the most accurate tracking of calories (only about 150 kcal over my actual caloric needs per day), but there's so much manual input to get the right settings, so it's way too easy to put in the wrong stats, which leads to wrong caloric estimations etc... It does everything pretty well, and it also gives you one of the best "are you ready to train, or do you need to rest" estimates.

Garmin is the overall winner. It under estimates calories by a small amount (about 200 kcal per day in my case).

Sleep tracking is great (but it doesn't pick up deep sleep and REM as well as Fitbit does, but you get all the same stats and more for free, compared to fitbits premium subscription)

Heart rate tracking is very good, but like most wrist based sensors (except the apple watch) it will struggle with strength training. Fortunately you can wear a chest strap for the most accurate HR tracking possible for consumers.

So, over all, if you want a wrist based tracker for your general health, go with the Venu 2 (the older watches have worse sleep tracking and not as good HR sensor). You can also go with the polar ignite 2, but Polar watches have very bad touch screens. (Venu 2 is about double the price of the Fitbit versa though, but you'll get that back by not needing a subscription fee to see all your stats)

Or you can go with the Apple watch, if you're an apple user. That thing has a heart rate sensor form the future... It's spot on with any form of training. It's really expensive though, and has horrible battery life. You'll also need to download several different third party apps for it to work like a fitness tracker.

Ps. To know your actual real life caloric needs, you can get an app called MacroFactor. You log what you eat and your bodyweight every day, and it compares the two over time and works out what you actually burn, instead of giving you an estimate. It's a subscription service though.

Best Answer

It seems Fitbit team are focusing on developing their new product and no longer taking care of the ongoing products.

I wish Fitbit can learn from Apple watch's heart rate sensor. Apple watch wins in almost every review in heart rate accuracy. But everything else of Apple products sucks.

Best Answer