Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Versa 3 crazy with counting stairs

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

My Versa 3 is going crazy with counting stairs. I haven’t even walked 600 steps today and it is telling me I’ve climbed 13 flights of stairs. I live in a ranch style home with no steps. I’m so confused. How do I fix this?  

Moderator edit: subject updated for clarity

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi, welcome to the Fitbit Community forums, @smwdaisy.  

Thank you for sharing all this information about what you've been experiencing with your Versa 3. 

There are some instances when you may get a few extra floors recorded by your watch, as you can see in this article, your device is designed to detect pressure changes based on elevation gain, but other types of pressure changes such as a gust of wind, a weather change, or opening a door can occasionally cause your device to register extra floors. Your device registers 1 floor when you climb about 10 feet, which is the average between residential and commercial floor heights. If you climb long staircases you may find that the floor count on your device doesn’t match the number of floors you climbed when the staircase is taller than 10 feet.

However, it's certainly unusual if you're getting all these steps recorded by you're watch while you're at home. Could you please confirm if you already tried the restart procedure? And let me know if you continue to experience the same inconvenience after the restart. 

Keep me posted. 

Davide | Italian and English Community Moderator, Fitbit

Ti invito a partecipare nelle nostre discussioni! Commenti

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
68 REPLIES 68

Hi, welcome to the Fitbit Community forums, @smwdaisy.  

Thank you for sharing all this information about what you've been experiencing with your Versa 3. 

There are some instances when you may get a few extra floors recorded by your watch, as you can see in this article, your device is designed to detect pressure changes based on elevation gain, but other types of pressure changes such as a gust of wind, a weather change, or opening a door can occasionally cause your device to register extra floors. Your device registers 1 floor when you climb about 10 feet, which is the average between residential and commercial floor heights. If you climb long staircases you may find that the floor count on your device doesn’t match the number of floors you climbed when the staircase is taller than 10 feet.

However, it's certainly unusual if you're getting all these steps recorded by you're watch while you're at home. Could you please confirm if you already tried the restart procedure? And let me know if you continue to experience the same inconvenience after the restart. 

Keep me posted. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, 

thanks for the response. Yes I have done the restart, multiple times and it hasn’t made a difference. 

any other suggestions? 

Best Answer

Wondering if it could be the ac in my car blowing on it. I’m going to try and pay attention 🤷‍:female_sign:

Best Answer

@smwdaisy @inneedofmercy Thank you for your replies and confirming that you already tried the restart procedure. 

I was able to verify that other users have been experiencing this problem with the number of floors recorded. The team of developers is already aware of this and they're working to find a way to improve the accuracy of data recorded by the watch. 

Have a great day.

Best Answer

Hi David, 

my Fitbit is still having this issue. Any word on how to fix it? I definitely did not walk up 127 flights of stairs today and I counted 6. 
thanks

Best Answer

Hi, thank you for confirming that you're experiencing the same inconvenience with your Versa 3, @smwdaisy

In this case, if you already tried all the troubleshooting steps mentioned earlier to improve the accuracy, the best way to get help for this problem is to chat with us online or give us a call. Click here to get connected. 

Have a great day. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

My watch tells me that I go up 200 floors a day while I do not go up, when are you going to solve this problem once and for all?

Best Answer

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about this, @JohnGillet.  

Unfortunately we haven't received other updates regarding this problem with the accuracy of floors on the Versa 3. 

As mentioned earlier, the team of developers is already aware of this and they continue to work to find a solution as soon as possible, but there is no specific time frame to know when this would be resolved. 

Have a great day. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

So you sell products whose full functionality is not operational because of a bug that you do not know how to fix and without notifying buyers? This is not very correct!!

Best Answer

Thank you for your feedback about the product, @JohnGillet

Although many users are experiencing this problem, it's not something that has affected the entirety of Versa 3 users. The team is already aware of the numerous reports about this problem and they continue to work to resolve it as soon as possible. 

Have a great day. 

Best Answer

That's 100% accurate John. That is EXACTLY what they do. 

Best Answer

And why don't you inform potential buyers of this bug that may never be fixed? Future customers have the right to know that all the functionality of your watches is not fully operational because you do not know how to fix the problem!! Don't you mind selling your products knowing that?

Best Answer

@JohnGillet how do you propose that us Fitbit users go about informing potential buyers? 

Before I bought my fitbit in 2014. I spent almost 6 months researching. Downloaded the user manual and looks in this community. 

Best Answer

But what are you waiting for to definitively solve this problem, it's been more than 6 months now!!!

Best Answer

He's saying that Fitbit shouldn't say that the Versa 3 does things, like count stairs, when it can't do so. That's pretty straight forward. 

Best Answer

It's not a software problem, the sensor using things like atmospheric pressure so it can be set off by riding in an elevator or pressure changes from wind or doors opening. As a result, it just accumulates a bunch of random data and tries to guess how many floors that represents. It's grossly inaccurate and they are aware of this, but still advertise the Versa 3 as a stair counting device. It's deeply unethical. 

Best Answer

It is not suppose to count stairs, unless it also is counting steps. 

The hardware simply reports numbers, it is up to the software to interpret. What the numbers mean. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Ma Versa 3 me dit 200 étages montés pendant une journée entière dans un appartement plein pied, sans ascenseur, fenêtres fermées, sans rafales de vent, sans escaliers, sans ouverture de portes... vous pensez que c’est normal?? Il y a vraiment un problème mais on s’en fout, c’est regrettable!!!

Best Answer

Oh please, floors then. And yes the hardware reports numbers and the software interprets, but the result is still not accurate. Software isn't going to work out how many floors were actually climbed with bad data.

Best Answer