Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use Versa GPS?

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hello Fitbit,

So I know that the Fitbit Versa does not include GPS. Does this mean that in order for it to track the stats on my run that I have to run with my phone and the Versa?

Moderator edit: Subject for clarity 

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

As @datalore said, to track a detailed GPS map of your run you would need to have your phone with you. Although if you just want basic tracking, steps, pace by stride length etc, your Versa can perform this without having your phone close by. 

Community Council Member

Nathan | UK

Looking to get more sleep? Join the conversation on the Sleep better forum.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
14 REPLIES 14

Yes, it has connected GPS and piggybacks off your phone.

Best Answer

As @datalore said, to track a detailed GPS map of your run you would need to have your phone with you. Although if you just want basic tracking, steps, pace by stride length etc, your Versa can perform this without having your phone close by. 

Community Council Member

Nathan | UK

Best Answer

I have seen a few grumbling about the Versa not having GPS, but I personal find I rarely go for a long run without my phone on me, so I'm good with it not having GPS if that means it's smaller and more affordable for the masses. I have used GPS (without my phone) only once on my Ionic as the shortened battery life made it less desirable. 

Marci | Bellevue, WA
Best Answer

@MarciMas is always the case, you can't please all the people all the time. When the Ionic came out, people were moaning about it not having connected GPS, rather than the inbuilt GPS, wanting a more Blaze-like experience. Go figure.

Best Answer

@SunsetRunnerwrote:

@MarciMas is always the case, you can't please all the people all the time. When the Ionic came out, people were moaning about it not having connected GPS, rather than the inbuilt GPS, wanting a more Blaze-like experience. Go figure.

There's no reason why the Ionic can't have both. User selectable in the exercise shortcut settings where you turn the onboard GPS on/off. That would be great. 

Community Council Member

Nathan | UK

Best Answer

@N8teGeewrote:

@SunsetRunnerwrote:

There's no reason why the Ionic can't have both. User selectable in the exercise shortcut settings where you turn the onboard GPS on/off. That would be great. 

I mean, in theory, the best of both worlds would be for something that switches over automatically from your phone's GPS to the on-board GPS and back.

Best Answer

@DonaldMReifwrote:

@N8teGeewrote:

@SunsetRunnerwrote:

I mean, in theory, the best of both worlds would be for something that switches over automatically from your phone's GPS to the on-board GPS and back.

I agree, but I think that would probably be asking too much. I would be happy to settle for a manual selection if it meant we had a chance of getting the feature in some form. 

Community Council Member

Nathan | UK

Best Answer

For me the problem is not to take the phone with me all the time. Although GPS in connection with an internal memory would have made much more sense.

I see more of a problem with connected GPS on Android 8.
It's like a lottery, if there is a connection to the smartphone, it can get lost during the training.

See this thread: https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Android-App/Android-Oreo-GPS-Issue/td-p/2177717

The problem with connected gps has not yet been solved.

I am therefore very undecided whether I should upgrade from the Blaze to the Versa.

Best Answer
0 Votes

If I want the watch to tell me I ran 3.2 miles do I have to run with my phone? Thanks! 

Best Answer

If you carry your phone with you when you run, then you wouldn't need the watch.

Best Answer

I parsed through the that post but I didn't an instance of what happened on a bike ride last week. My wife and I were starting our ride a 1 bar signal area and her Versa stayed on connecting to GPS for 10 mins. Does the phone need to have both a cellular signal AND GPS signal? Does it help if the fitbit app is open? She was really bummed out since we rode for 25 miles and the Versa only recorded 1.3 miles. 

Best Answer

I feel your Wife's frustration! However I don't have the answer and have been asking this question for almost a month to no avail. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP US!

I simply don't understand HOW to get it to track GPS. I have been wearing my Versa since Christmas, walk/run every day with my watch and phone (GPS settings are "ON" on my Android phone (Pixel 3) yet it has never given route info, once given me distance, and tracks my stride at huge variances Everytime ranging from '16' to 40'! 

When researching how to get GPS readings, whether on this site, the web in general or instructional Videos they all say simply open Fitbit app, take phone with you. There must be settings that must be changed either on Fitbit device, app, or phone to get accurate readings. Will someone knowledgeable about this please respond to help everyone who has similar issues as those of us asking about GPS tracking and the Versa 2 ? I will gladly change to an Apple smartwatch which does this flawlessly if this feature will not work efficiently (and I am an "anti-Apple" consumer!)

Gina
Best Answer
0 Votes

Where on the Fitbit app can I see the result of an activity where I’ve used the GPS? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

In the app you can see the GPS tracking map of you workout in the exercise section—where it says how many days of your exercise goal you’ve done.

Best Answer
0 Votes