Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SpO2 Sensor and Data Gathering and Recording Ability.

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

SpO2 Sensor and Data gathering.

Me and my wife saw SpO2 capability shown with the Versa 2 and is one of the primary reasons I broke down and shelled out over 160 dollars on a watch. Before that, I was fine with a 20 dollar digital device that told me the time. I had always said that the moment I could get recording oximetry from a smartwatch I would break down and buy it. I thought I had found that option when I saw the details of the Versa 2.

Unfortunately, My hopes of a smart watch with recording oximetry may be dashed. I'm growing more concerned as I continue to research information about my new watch. I keep seeing a long winded back and forth barrage of messages asking about SpO2 function and if and or when it will ever be enabled. This Sensor and the data it does or doesn't collect has been an issue, apparently for years on multiple versions of FitBit product.

It would be nice if someone from FitBit could provide a strait answer as to when this will become available, with out linking us to more adverts or "News stories" talking about the "Potential" of this magic sensor to do what it's supposed to do. 

"PS: Links to non answers are not helpful and shouldn't be counted as an answer"

A simple yes or no answer, or... a date as to when we can expect it, would be nice. Or perhaps some additional information as to why, this isn't already working.

I am disinterested in fancy applications or services (payed for or not) that interpret the data for me, I have a brain and basic analytical skills, all I need is a recorded graph of the data collected by my watch including Pulse and SpO2 along side the time at which the readings were recorded.

I'm not asking FitBit to diagnose any medical condition. I ask that it only provide the data that the SpO2 sensor collects and the ability to record it. This would allow me to see if my oxygen saturation is dropping during the day or at night, with out having to physically check it all the time.

It's not like FitBit is going to be sued over the heart rate sensor because some one might try and use that info to diagnose heart failure or some other medical condition. With that in mind, I can see no reason to keep us from being able to access and record SpO2 data that our watches are gathering. There isn't any intrinsic issue with SpO2 data that makes it any more medical in nature then pulse rate.

Is the real problem that Fitbit, made a mistake in their advertising, insinuating that their product could help diagnose sleep apnea?  Why couldn't you just provide the information that the sensor collects, with out talking about medical conditions.  It is true that SpO2 data can be used to detect Sleep Apnea, However, drops in oxygen saturation are not always present in sleep apnea so it wasn't smart to get your selves tangled up with the FDA when you could have just turned on the data from the sensor and allowed your customers to use it how they see fit.

The lack of clarification and further details on this question is causing a great deal of frustration from your customers.

I just got the watch yesterday. You all do understand that "returning a product" isn't exactly the best advice to give someone when they ask you about when your going to let them use an advertised feature of the product you sold them.

Unless you have ulterior motives such as locking away this information so that it can only be accessed by a paying tier level, providing us with some actionable information that was promised is not asking too much.

An answer to this question will hopefully be forthcoming. However, I am not holding my breath for one, especially when I don't have a functioning blood oxygen sensor enabled.

Sincerely,

New, already annoyed, customer.

Best Answer
3 REPLIES 3

I agree with you.  I was debating on getting a Garmin Vivosmart 4 with its Pulse Ox2 sensor/data.

Best Answer

Same here! So fed up with fitbit.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I appreciate your write-up looking for SPO2.  By now, I'm sure you searched these forums and found threads requesting SPO2 going back to 2017.  Based on their total quietness in response to the multitude of request,  I can only assume, fitbit has no intention of providing instantaneous  SPO2 reading.  I would guess, fitbit has looked at the data and found it to lack the necessary accuracy to make the data available.  They have come up with what appears to be an averaged calculated value they call EOV. (estimated oxygen variation).  I have no idea what fitbit considers a low or high fluctuation.   When I purchased my  Charge 3, and found the advertised SPO2 was missing, I inquired and was told by fitbit, it would be available in an upcoming release.  Ive been waiting for over a year. Others have been waiting 2+ years.   This says a lot about fitbit, as a company and the Sr. management team running the company.  

Best Answer