Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does it fare in sea water?

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Since the Versa is waterproof for swimming.  How does it fare in sea water?  Will salt water affect the wristband material?

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

It depends which wristband material you use. The elastomer band is fine in sea water. I wouldnt use the leather or stainless ones in sea water. The woven bands I have no idea.

Community Council Member

Helen | Western Australia

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
8 REPLIES 8

It depends which wristband material you use. The elastomer band is fine in sea water. I wouldnt use the leather or stainless ones in sea water. The woven bands I have no idea.

Community Council Member

Helen | Western Australia

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

Hi @Mirage913 I swim in the ocean with my Ionic and no issues, should be the same for the Versa. I have read that the woven band is not waterproof, thus you should use the classic band for swimming. 

Marci | Bellevue, WA
Best Answer

I've heard that it's fine, but you may want to clean the salt from the tracker after your swim to avoid buildup.

Kristen | USA Cruising through the Lifestyle Forums

one cruise ship at a time!
Best Answer

Thanks everyone! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I was just at the beach for a week and my band ripped on the last day of the trip.  It was the classic band and while this could have been a coincidence in timing it is good to be aware of. Also I contacted Fitbit and they gladly replaced the band for me  

Best Answer
0 Votes

I used my Versa for swimming in the pool multiple times over several months with no problems.  Then I used it to swim in the ocean the other day (in shallow water up to 10 feet) and immediately began having problems with the battery not holding a charge for longer than a few hours.  Not sure if it was just coincidence but I'm glad that fitbit is replacing my Versa at no charge since it is under warranty.  However, based on that experience, I will not go swimming in the ocean with my new one.    

Best Answer

Sea water wasn't kind to my fit bit.  I've worn it swimming and in the shower without issues.  But wearing out in the ocean today-- not even submerged often or in deep water-- damaged it so that it wouldn't turn on.  Thank goodness for Fitbit's great warranty and customer service-- replacement is already on the way!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Very bad. Don't do it. It just died after a month of swimming. Thanks god it was on warranty, they set another one. Not trying again. 

Best Answer
0 Votes