Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Airplane Mode?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Will this device have an airplane mode of sorts? Ability to disable wifi or bluetooth in circumstances where we don't want it enabled. Ex. Some office workplaces have banned such devices due to what they feel could be interference. Some users also believe there could be health risks. 

Appreciate any information on this. 

Thanks, 

JT

Best Answer
38 REPLIES 38

Going by the Ionic I would say no as that doesn't have an airplane mode. The Versa will be running the same OS so I would expect it to be the same. 

Community Council Member

Nathan | UK

Looking to get more sleep? Join the conversation on the Sleep better forum.

Best Answer

Hi @Rebeljt I'm really curious as to why "Some office workplaces have banned such devices due to what they feel could be interference." Interference with what? Can you name a few of these companies? This is head scratching to me, thus I'm seeking to understand, then we can better educate. I visit many different company (Microsoft, Amazon, eBay, Facebook, to name a few) and know they support employees wearing trackers and in some cases fund the purchase of trackers as part of their wellness programs.

Marci | Bellevue, WA
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Rebeljt, I have got to agree with @N8teGee on this one -- I think it is highly unlikely that there will be an airplane mode, or anything similar, to turn off Bluetooth.  (And BTW Fitbits are all absolutely fine on airplanes...and there are no issues, because the Fitbit device does not receive any data...)

@MarciM, unfortunately, quite a few companies don't allow any Bluetooth devices, inc Fitbits.  I think it is quite a common ban on military bases.  I don't think there is a lot of logic (let alone evidence) to this. but I do think it is not that unusual.

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

Best Answer

I used to work in secure command centers in the military, pre smartphones but during the cellphone era. We had to check our phones in and retrieve them on the way out. I would suspect anything above a basic step tracker might be subject to the same rules, however that is an educated guess.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Rebeljt As @N8teGee pointed out here, Versa will be using the same Fitbit OS as Ionic so there will be no option for Airplane mode right now.

If that were to change in future plans, I will make sure to update this thread. Thanks for your question.

Erick | Community Moderator

It's all about the food! What's Cooking?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Is there a way to turn off the notifications at least. My school has banned watches of this sort as well. 

Best Answer

@PhilipIreland call/text/email notifications can definitely be turned off.

Erick | Community Moderator

It's all about the food! What's Cooking?

Best Answer

They both transmit and receive data. via bluetooth and wifi. So technically  they do need an airplane mode, or an off switch.,

Best Answer

According to the user manual of the Versa, there is a possibility to shutdown the watch via menu. To start again just push a button. So switching off is possible.

Versa, Charge 2, Aria - Android & iOS | früher Flex 2
Best Answer

Yeah, I figured there had to be a power switch! 😄 Though I doubt anyone will actually turn it off. Heck most people don't put their phones on airplane mode.! 😄

Best Answer

This is something simple to implement, even if it is for a minority of users I think it should be included.

I have recently stopped wearing my versa after learning about the constant bluetooth polling.

Up to once per second.

Is there an official way to contact them apart from a forum?

Best Answer

Does Fitbit have a sleep tracker with airplane mode. My ionic apparently does not have this and I am not going to run the risk of wearing 1% of the radiation of a mobile 100% of the time. Love my Fitbit but I don’t use it as a phone and don’t want ANY skin tight radiation.

Best Answer

Adding an Airplane Mode would be a very good idea. The lack of such is somewhat odd. 

I would like to have sleep data, but I'm not gonna wear my watch at night if it'll keep irradiating my wife and myself. 

Airplane Mode would be also good to have for times when we would like the watch on, but would like to extend the battery life by not having any radios on.

Please allow us to turn radios off when we wish to do so.

Best Answer

It would be awesome if they come up with flight mode.  I used to wear polar chest straps wore that thing like a lot.  Got breast cancer on that side where that device kept going in. i know there's no studies about it.  Last year i bought versa but then found out i can't turn off bluetooth on the device it self. So i bought garmin vivoactive 3, display sucks but i can turn off bluetooth on the watch. i can sleep with it now without worry. i just hope fitibit would add the flight mode setting to turn off any signals. it's easy a bunch of if statements on their code. just software update..easy peasy

Best Answer

I would really appreciate this option as well. Could easily be added beneath "Screen Wake" and "Notifications" settings (accessed via pressing and holding the back button). Would be a great way to save battery life when you're away from wifi and don't need to sync with your phone.

Best Answer

totally agree. no one wants to sleep with constant EMFs. Airplane mode is a must!

Best Answer

https://www.change.org/p/adam-pelligrini-i-would-like-fitbit-to-update-software-on-the-watch-to-have...

click on the link for the change.org so they it can be an option for bluetooth to be turned off.

Best Answer

@ErickFitbit is there any new info on this matter? Cause I am deciding to buy a new smart watch and that is what turns me off from ionic and versa. I would love a wifi and bluetooth switch off, can you share is there a future date when this will be an option?

Best Answer