Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Counts steps while driving

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I just upgraded from the Blaze to the Versa for the waterproof/swimming feature and have already noticed that it counts steps while I am driving. My Blaze was really good about not counting steps while I drove. Anyone else have this issue or know a fix for it?

Thanks! 

Best Answer
91 REPLIES 91

My Versa never counts steps while sleeping.  Calories, yes, but no steps.  Perhaps you move somewhat more than average while sleeping?  Is it constant over the sleep period?  Web cam? 🙂

Tom
Best Answer
0 Votes

I just move from left to right specially checking my youngest... And suffering from reflux so i need to constantly move as staying on one side hurts my shoulder. Anyhow, the step counts only happens with versa as I have tried gear sport, fit2 and skagen connected hybrid watch. The last 3 count 0 step when I wake up. So i dont really know nor i cany explain how this things happen. Maybe someone from fitbit can enlighten us. I hope.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Asmith09 wrote:

@craigk4 Since you are having very similar issues like me, did restarting it work for you?

Nope

Best Answer
0 Votes

DDac, since Fitbit counts steps as a means to an end...namely to measure activity, would it not be reasonable to count such movement as activity?

Tom
Best Answer

Yes and floors as well. My charge did not do this.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Tom, the steps counts is not really a major issue for me since my best concern is the sleep and hr tracking. But since fitbit is one of the best in fitness and health tracking, i just found it odd to see this kind of flaws specially when compared to the likes of samsung who is best at smartwatches. I tried to figure it out but i gave up. I'll leave it to fitbit guys to fix it. As of now, i think they should fix the fitness and health related issues of the versa.

P.S. fitbit asked me if there was any movement or vibration while im asleep. And of course i do move when i change position when i sleep but not vibration or whatsover. Could it be the accelerometer sensor is behind this? Too sensitive to movements? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Please vote for this feature suggestion here: https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Suggestions/Add-quot-Driving-Mode-quot-Feature-to-avoid-erro...

It's a shame that this Driving feature has been suggested for over 4 years and is always in the top ten of feature suggestion list, however all we've received is a "Reviewed by moderator" tag. 😞

Best Answer

Wow! Surprised to see that this issue has been there for ages...😯😮

Best Answer
0 Votes

You can simply add the driving activity after you are done (assuming you know about when you started and finished driving) and Fitbit will automatically remove the steps and stairs during that time period.

Best Answer

I have the same problem, recorded 2000 steps in a one hour drive and the road is not bumpy!

Best Answer
0 Votes

My versa counts steps while I'm asleep..i think it must be set so that it thinks that the slightest movement equals 1 step..

How do I correct this problem. 

Thanks

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, I asked Fitbit guys numerous times and still got no answer. Some said it is becaus of the movement of your hand even your body is in stationary. I have to agree with that because I notice when I was folding my laundry which requires me to move my hand constantly. Fitbit counted steps to the point where I reaches my fitness step goals. It sounds crazy right? Honestly, I ran out of idea how and why it happened. Because with my other fitness tracker, it never happened as far as my awareness is concern. I was thinking probably the accelerometer is to sensitive with the slightest movement? Im not too sure though. Happy weekend! Cheers!

Best Answer
0 Votes
Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes

It is so random! I am getting too few steps when I am actually moving. 25 minutes on the elliptical last week was 96 steps.

Best Answer

I was having the same problem. Go to tools ( setting button) button scroll down to (About) and press (shutdown). Then when you're done driving press start.

Best Answer
It’s not just driving. It’s elevators, walking in the neighborhood and all the time!

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes

I just added the drive bit app to my phone. Suppose to work. Maybe that will help.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you! I've tried logging a drive, but it doesn't remove steps! I didn't know you could turn it off.

Best Answer
0 Votes

By far the worst suggestion I've ever read. Lol... What's the point of using the 24/7 HR monitor if you shut it off while driving? I mean the whole idea of 24/7 of heart rate monitoring and the HR score if your watch is off? 

Seriously, I feel like Fitbit is not talkinh these into consideration. Even my syncing function takes a phone restart every time i want to sync my watch. (Though I dont mind, its a little issue) but counting steps with virtually doing nothing is not acceptable... Even by just swinging your hand will count it as a step. Lol 

Best Answer
0 Votes

You can log the drive afterwards and it will adjust your steps.  It is inconvenient but at least it will true up your steps to a more accurate number.  

@DDac wrote:

Someone suggest to add "driving" to some sort of exercise mode. But it doesn't automatically detect it when you're driving. So you have to manually go to driving then hit start which i feel like inconvenient. What if i missed hitting the start button? Do i have to pull over or hit the start button while driving which is quit dangerous because you have to swipe here to there to get to that driving mode. It distracts you while driving. So i didnt find it helpful in my case. I really hope versa will take this issue seriously since they are known for fitness and health rather than smart watch e.g. txt, call and other social media notifications.

Best Answer
0 Votes