Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How are my sleep stages tracked based on my heart rate data?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Sleep is tracked using heart rate and resting heart rate correct?  Sometimes when I'm sitting at my desk working my heart rate registers lower than my resting heart rate measurement so I'm curious if when I lay still trying to fall asleep for a while is the Versa counting me as asleep just because I am at a low heart rate and not moving?  I want it to be accurate because it takes me forever to fall asleep but I can lay still trying for a long time and still be awake.

Thanks!

Moderator edit: Subject for clarity 

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 REPLY 1

Hey @eme27fl, welcome aboard! Cat Happy Oh! That is totally normal. When I'm also working at my desk or just laid on my bed watching TV, my heart rate is registered lower that my resting heart rate, you don't have to worry, because remember that your resting heart rate is an estimated based on your heart rate data from when you’re awake and asleep. Your resting heart rate is usually higher than your heart rate while you are asleep, so don’t be surprised if your resting heart rate is higher than the lowest number that you see in your heart rate graphs.

Now in regards how Fitbit uses your heart rate data to track sleep stages, please review the following explanation: 

Fitbit estimates your sleep stages using a combination of your movement and heart-rate patterns. When you haven’t moved for about an hour, your tracker or watch assumes that you’re asleep. Additional data—such as the length of time your movements are indicative of sleep behavior (such as rolling over, etc.)—help confirm that you’re asleep. While you’re sleeping, your device tracks the beat-to-beat changes in your heart rate, known as heart rate variability (HRV), which fluctuate as you transition between light sleep, deep sleep, and REM sleep stages. When you sync your device in the morning, we use your movement and heart rate patterns to estimate your sleep cycles from the previous night. 

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have further questions! 

Heydy | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Best Answer