Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Heart Rate accuracy better in Fitbit Versa?

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Have just renewed my fitbit from charge 2 hr to the versa, I'm doing the same interval training on my bowflex max 3 the versa record's much more calories burnt than the charge did, is the versa a lot more accurate?

Moderator Edit: Updated Subject For Clarity.

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I recently switched from the Charge 2 to the Versa and noticed my heart rate reading is higher during exact same workout. Actually also makes it go from “fat burn” to “cardio” as well for same workout. It’s not a huge problem but still concerning. My BPM is off by approx. 17. Would love to know which is more accurate. I guess I’d have to get some “real” heart rate monitor but who wants to do that 🙁

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
29 REPLIES 29

Hi there @Terryjx1, awesome to hear you upgraded your Charge 2 to our newest Smartwatch Fitbit Versa. Note that Our PurePulse heart-rate sensor is present in all our trackers with Heart rate feature. So I'm wondering how much was the difference of heart rate from one tracker to other?

For more help, please refer to our help article section: What impacts my heart rate?

Just a heads up, since your post is related to the Versa smartwatch, I have relocated your post from our Android board to our Versa forum.

Hope this helps and provide more insight about your questions. See you later.

Roberto | Community Moderator

"Great things are done by a series of small things brought together.” What's Cooking?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am returning my Versa as we speak and putting the charge 2 back on. The heart rate reading on the Versa is wild. When wearing the Versa and Charge 2 at the same time the Versa reads much higher. When I manually take my heart rate the Charge 2 is much more accurate 

Best Answer

I have also found that versa heart rate all over the place. I have currently got both the versa and charge 2 on and have up to 11 beats per min difference between the two at some points. Haven’t check difference when exercising yet. Average resting heart rate also went up 5 bpm first day! 

Best Answer
HiI know what you mean my calorie count has gone up by an average of 80 during my workouts wonder if it is correct,  keep me posted on the comparison of the charge and versa.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S6 - powered by Three
Best Answer

I recently switched from the Charge 2 to the Versa and noticed my heart rate reading is higher during exact same workout. Actually also makes it go from “fat burn” to “cardio” as well for same workout. It’s not a huge problem but still concerning. My BPM is off by approx. 17. Would love to know which is more accurate. I guess I’d have to get some “real” heart rate monitor but who wants to do that 🙁

Best Answer

Pretty much the exact same thing for me.  The Versa is seems to be unreliable for HR readings.  One night, apparently my HR spiked to 180 as i was sleeping.  And yesterday just watching TV on the couch it went from 55 to 125 in a matter of seconds. My Resting HR went from 60 to 69 over the past 2 weeks (60 using the Charge HR 2 and now 69 with 2 weeks worth of Versa tracking).

Do i swap out the Versa for a new one or give it a few more days?  Love the look of it and all the features, but i do depend on HR accuracy for my training.

Thanks to anyone who has suggestions!

Best Answer

My resting heart rate went up after swapping from Charge 2 to Versa, glad it might be the watch and not a true rise!  Thanks for the heads up.  I won't go back to my Charge as I love the look, the step count is more accurate with the Versa, and I go swimming with it.

Best Answer

I have actually found that the Versa is more accurate at taking my heart rate...at least so far. I always found my Alta HR was not really reading quite high enough. Maybe Charge HR is different. However, if great accuracy is what you are looking for, you will not find it in any wrist monitor without a chest strap. I have one, but I prefer to just have a good estimate of my heart rate in a more convenient package most of the time. Also, you probably already know this, but if you stop doing what you were doing (or slow down...which tends to happens automatically) to manually check your pulse, it will drop down some pretty quickly...skewing the result.

Best Answer

Completely agree. My heart rate monitor strap is generally much different from my Fitbit Alta HR and I know that the strap is much more accurate. So I'm hoping that the Versa is going to be more in line with my Polar strap as in more accurate.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi all, I just got back from the doctors where he tested my heart rate compared to what the Versa was reading and the Versa was only displaying about 2 beats higher than he was recording both with a monitor and by hand. Mine seems to be pretty accurate as he was getting a reading of 86 while the Versa was showing 88. I did notice my heart rate has been reading higher with the Versa compared to the Blaze I had so we were both curious if the Versa was even accurate at all. Maybe next time you go to the doctors have them test it out and compare against their machines and the old fashioned way and see how it compares. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've had pretty much the same experience with several different Fitbit models. The heart rate reading during exercise can be a bit wacky (sometimes way too high, sometimes way too low), but the reading while not exercising is pretty much right on. Additionally, the resting heart rate really helps me keep an eye on my health. I may not pay as much attention as I should when I'm feeling sick, but I will notice if my Fitbit says my resting heart rate is up.

I kinda chalk it up to the fact that reading your heart rate using a light on the back of your wrist is maybe not the most mature science.

Best Answer

My heart rate on the versa whilst resting was 132. Whilst in the health app on my Samsung phone it was 86!! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

IceI been lucky.  My charge 2 would always skyrocket to 150 or show no reading when I started an exercise.  My versa is much more steady and doesn't have an issue picking up my heartbeat about 99% of the time

Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine has been reading WAY lower during exercise than my charge 2! I can Barely get into Peak Zone anymore.

Best Answer

Because my Bodypump class last week suddenly noted about 150 cals more than normal I got suspicious and decided to wear both my Versa and Charge 2 at the same run. The average BPM isn’t that far off, about 5 beats, but the zones seem to be divided a bit different. 21 minutes peak and 14 minutes cardio on my Versa and 16 minuted peak and 19 minutes cardio on my Charge 2.. I will definitely wear both during another Bodypump class this week and see what happens. But I don’t really like it that two watches from the same brand read differently..

Best Answer

Yes, plus there is a time delay, or gap.  When I wear my polar heart rate monitor and my Versa, the Polar gets higher quicker, and falls quicker.  Would be nice to not have to wear a chest strap for my HIIT, and just rely on my Versa.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Apparently this is a "known issue." The versa is the one that's too high. 3 Months after I received my Versa it went haywire, registering ratings in the 140bpm range for hours on end. When I called to have it replaced, they told me it was a known issue with the watch. I just got my new watch, it's registering me 20bpm higher than my actual heart rate (measured by hand) at rest. The Versa is trash.

Best Answer

I returned my Versa because the heart rate was way higher than my Blaze. I’ve now discovered that the Blaze has 2 Green LED sensors on the back of the watch and the Versa and Ionic went to 1 Green LED sensor. My theory is the accuracy during exercise is better on the Blaze purely because of hardware limitations. 

Best Answer

Or you could just measure your pulse with your finger for 15 seconds and multiply it by 4 to get your bpm... you don't need to buy a heart rate monitor Smiley Wink

Best Answer