Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Left button on Versa acting up after swimming

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Earlier today I went swimming while wearing my Fitbit. It was fine at first but the more time I spent in the pool, the more I realized my Fitbit started to vibrate all willy billy like pulling up my card and asking for my pin, even when I do nothing. The biggest thing however is the left button (the one used to go back to the home screen) no longer wishes to do its job and won’t let me go back to the home screen when it’s pressed. I tried restarting it but that didn’t work. If anyone can suggest any ideas on how I can fix this, I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks. 

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
39 REPLIES 39

@keithisok Welcome! It's nice to have you on board! Sorry to hear about your Versa's button not working after swimming. Thank you for trying to restart your watch. I am not sure if you were actually able to restart it but you can try the following:

1.- Press and hold the back (left) and bottom buttons until you see the Fitbit logo on the screen. This should take less than 10 seconds.
2.- Let go of the buttons.
3.- If your Fitbit watch doesn't work normally, use the instructions in How do I turn off my Fitbit device? to turn your watch off and on again. 

Also try using some compressed air at a distance to clean the left button area.

Let me know how it goes!

Alvaro | Community Moderator

If a post helped you try voting and selecting it as a solution so other members benefit from it. Select it as Best Solution!

Best Answer

I am having this exact same issue.  It's like the left button doesn't even exist!  It won't even recognize I'm pressing it for a restart.  

Best Answer

Same here with my wife's one. It feels like it pushes in correctly (identical to the other buttons) but completely unresponsive even after a restart.

Best Answer

I hope it's not caused by moisture. At this point, try factory reset. Go to settings on your watch, scroll down to About and tap factory reset. Sync your versa before hard reset.

Marrrmaduke | Canada
Charge HR, Blaze, Charge 2, Charge 3, Inspire HR, Versa Lite, Versa SE, Aria

Best Answer
0 Votes

I’ve had the exact same thing happen. First time I’ve gone for a swim with it and 700m in it starting repeatedly vibrating and then the buttons stopped working properly. They seem sparadic in whether they feel like working or not and the left one doesn’t work at all now! It also keeps randomly vibrating and opening the notifications on/off page! HELP!!!! I’ve only had it for a couple of weeks 😞

Best Answer

@imy_wood Welcome to the Fitbit Community! I hope you're doing well! Sorry to hear that your Versa is acting erratically. Try restarting your tracker. Also use compressed air to clean the button area on your device. 

Let me know how it goes!

If a post helped you try voting and selecting it as a solution so other members benefit from it. Select it as Best Solution!

Best Answer

If it happened after swimming/ getting it wet, it's because you have water damage. For some reason Fitbit is choosing to ignore the fact that the Versa isn't as water-resistant/ "swim-proof" as they claim. It seems like the only option is to call customer service and press them for a replacement (unless you're able to get a refund from where you purchased it, or just give up all-together and purchase a different watch, as a lot of other's are choosing to do).

Mind you, you'll have to spend a stupid amount of time with them trying to trouble-shoot/ "fix" your problem -going through all the steps you already tried- for them to still ignore the real issue. You'll then be stuck with the dilemma of trusting the replacement in water/ and probably repeating this cycle with them, or deciding it's not worth your time and not wear it for a function you specifically purchased it to perform/ one they market it for. It's completely frustrating. I just received my 2nd, and will probably go swimming with it today to see if it's any better than the first, but I don't have high hopes based on other's comments on this forum.

See my thread here: https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Versa/Versa-water-damage/m-p/2945727#M46572, and an even larger one here: https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Versa/Fitbit-Versa-not-working-after-swim/td-p/2690088

Best Answer
Thankfully I bought it with John Lewis who have replaced it for me. Let me know how your replacement does on your swim! I haven’t tested my new one out yet but I fear it might be the same old story. At least with JL you have a 1 yr warranty and good customer services!

Frustratingly, I had an Ionic which was a gift and sold it and swapped to the versa because it’s better looking but now I’m regretting my swap!

Get Outlook for iOS
Best Answer
0 Votes

I tried all of those steps and it's still acting up anything else I can do

Best Answer

@fallonelaine sorry to hear that your Versa isn't working even after the troubleshoots and for the late reply. At this point the best thing to do is letting our Support team knows about this issue. I noticed that you already have a case with them so I wanted to know if they were able to assist you.

I look forward to your reply!

Best Answer

I have tried resetting several times and used compressed air. The left button is not working, to the point of its like it’s not even there. How do I open a case with the Fitbit Support team???

Best Answer

@GoBlueBarrett Please take a look at this link.

Marrrmaduke | Canada
Charge HR, Blaze, Charge 2, Charge 3, Inspire HR, Versa Lite, Versa SE, Aria

Best Answer

How can fix the left button it's not working with me I tried all the previous things but the same problem 😭

Best Answer
0 Votes

This is exactly what mine is doing. Did you find a solution?

Best Answer

Same. Exact. Thing. Is happening to me. Went swimming today - the watch started acting erratically vibrating over and over again while swimming. Now the left button doesn’t work at all. 

If it’s not waterproof- they shouldn’t have a section for “Swimming” under exercise. 

Turning it it on and off doesn’t help. Trying to reset it now. If this doesn’t fix the problem I’ll be calling tomorrow. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am having the same problem with the left button even after restart and resetting to factory settings. Any other solutions???

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes, Take it back and get a refund/replacement.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Actually I bought it from USA and shipped it to Egypt and that was last November. I don’t think that I can ship it back and does the warranty cover a full year?

Best Answer

I have a Fitbit Ionic [which appears to be the top-of-the-line model], which is also supposed to be water-proof. However, after swimming with it on, using the "Exercise: Swim" option, it bit-the-dust. Apparently, it's not water-proof. Sad, because it was one of the reasons I spent close to $300 for the Ionic.

Best Answer
0 Votes