Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RESOLVED: Steps count increase while charging Fitbit Versa

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Fitbit Update: 9/09

Hi, Versa Fam! 

Thanks so much for your patience while our team continues to investigate and work on this issue. We're still working on this and I hope to have more information for you all very soon. 

As soon as there is a fix in place, I will make sure to announce that here. Please stay tuned and subscribed to this thread for updates. 

Fitbit Update: 7/25

Hey, everyone!

I know many of you are wondering what the status on this bug is and I'm here to reassure you this is still being worked on by our team. For anyone still getting ghost steps on their Versa's, we are definitely working towards a fix. I don't have a timeline for when the fix will be released, so I appreciate everyone's patience for the time being. I recommend if possible, placing your Versa on a different flat surface without any vibrations to prevent the extra steps. 

Fitbit Update: 6/21

Hi, everyone!

Sorry to hear that some of you are accumulating unwanted steps while charging your Versa's. Thank you for taking the time to report this issue here on the forums. Our team is aware of this affecting some of you and is working towards a fix on a future firmware release.

Thanks for your patience for the time being. Smiley Happy

Want to get more steps? Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
602 REPLIES 602

Hello everyone!

I hope you are doing fine. As mentioned in previous post, our team is aware of this problem and are working to resolve it as quickly as possible, sorry for any inconvenience it's caused and appreciate your patience and look forward to getting you back on track.

Please let me know if there's anything I may do to assist you in the meantime. Robot wink

Alejandra | Community Moderator, Fitbit

If you like something I recommended, I encourage you to mark that reply as "Best Answer". 🙂

Best Answer

@AlejandraFitbit wrote:

Hello everyone!

I hope you are doing fine. As mentioned in previous post, our team is aware of this problem and are working to resolve it as quickly as possible, sorry for any inconvenience it's caused and appreciate your patience and look forward to getting you back on track.

Please let me know if there's anything I may do to assist you in the meantime. Robot wink

Simple short-term fix:   If charging is detected then disable step counts.  

Several lines of code in a class.

Long-term diagnostics and fix:  Seems to be by the comments that it only occurs under certain conditions.  Could it be some chargers switching frequency is aliasing with the Versa's internal power supplies switching frequency?  Any properly equipped electronics lab will have the equipment to verify this. You can forward this to your product development team along with my contact info.

Best Answer

It seems like a stretch but I suppose it's possible there is somehow switching power supply frequency interference, although one would think the Versa power input circuitry should have sufficient noise filtering to eliminate line AC ripple BUT many users report getting unwarranted steps while the Versa is not on the charger so no I don't think that is it.

Given the wide spread nature of this problem, I really think Fitbit should be able to duplicate this issue in house and nail down with certainty, the root cause. 

@KB9WNS wrote:

@AlejandraFitbit wrote:

Hello everyone!

Long-term diagnostics and fix:  Seems to be by the comments that it only occurs under certain conditions.  Could it be some chargers switching frequency is aliasing with the Versa's internal power supplies switching frequency?  Any properly equipped electronics lab will have the equipment to verify this. You can forward this to your product development team along with my contact info.

Best Answer

@geepondy wrote:

It seems like a stretch but I suppose it's possible there is somehow switching power supply frequency interference, although one would think the Versa power input circuitry should have sufficient noise filtering to eliminate line AC ripple BUT many users report getting unwarranted steps while the Versa is not on the charger so no I don't think that is it.

Given the wide spread nature of this problem, I really think Fitbit should be able to duplicate this issue in house and nail down with certainty, the root cause. 

@KB9WNS wrote:

@AlejandraFitbit wrote:

Hello everyone!

But it seems to be much more prevalent when connected to certain chargers.    People are reporting lots of mystery steps when charging from some devices but not others.  Could it be an issue of inadequate hardware filtering?  Tolerance stackup?  One of the production lines with a wrong setup or part or missing part?

My Blaze will record a few extra steps now and then.

Remember, 2 million+ Versa's have been sold so if this is a major issue this board should have been completely lit up. 

p.s.  I have done hardware/firmware development for 35 years currently working in aerospace and an EXTRA class HAM.

Best Answer

Those are interesting thoughts, particular the possibility of a batch being built with a wrong or missing part.  I recall a problem in the production line where I work, with an incorrect value resistor threw the circuitry timing off just enough so that some units would fail while others wouldn't.  The only thing though, I read here of people receiving replacements (I think at least one user said more than one?) that exhibited the same problem.  You would think that would eliminate a batch issue problem although the product hasn't been out all that long.  Yes with that many units sold, if a huge problem, it would have made it to youtube or some other social media outlet.  Glad I returned mine while I could but would be willing to give it another go, if they conclusively can solve this issue.

@KB9WNS wrote:

@geepondy wrote:

@KB9WNS wrote:

@AlejandraFitbit wrote:

Hello everyone!

But it seems to be much more prevalent when connected to certain chargers.    People are reporting lots of mystery steps when charging from some devices but not others.  Could it be an issue of inadequate hardware filtering?  Tolerance stackup?  One of the production lines with a wrong setup or part or missing part?

Remember, 2 million+ Versa's have been sold so if this is a major issue this board should have been completely lit up. 

p.s.  I have done hardware/firmware development for 35 years currently working in aerospace and an EXTRA class HAM.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@geepondy wrote:

Those are interesting thoughts, particular the possibility of a batch being built with a wrong or missing part.  I recall a problem in the production line where I work, with an incorrect value resistor threw the circuitry timing off just enough so that some units would fail while others wouldn't.  The only thing though, I read here of people receiving replacements (I think at least one user said more than one?) that exhibited the same problem.  You would think that would eliminate a batch issue problem although the product hasn't been out all that long.  Yes with that many units sold, if a huge problem, it would have made it to youtube or some other social media outlet.  Glad I returned mine while I could but would be willing to give it another go, if they conclusively can solve this issue.

@KB9WNS wrote:

@geepondy wrote:

@KB9WNS wrote:

@AlejandraFitbit wrote:

Hello everyone!

If FitBit wants to send us of several returned units I would be more then glad to run some tests in my lab including radiated and conducted susceptibility tests.  I got the equipment necessary for consumer level devices at home.  We have equipment for RTCA DO-160 testing at work although I don't think it would survive that level of testing and would more likely emit the "magic smoke"

Best Answer
0 Votes
It's not vibration.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I will be receiving my new Fitbit Versa Tuesday, I will be watching closely to see if it adds steps during charging.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Runtu wrote:

I will be receiving my new Fitbit Versa Tuesday, I will be watching closely to see if it adds steps during charging.

If it does, document the extra steps including which charger, brand, model number and the UL listing number of the charger you used.  The Versa may be sensitive to certain types of chargers and could be useful for FitBit to know.

If it continues to add lots of steps use a different brand of charger and see if it continues to add steps.

It is normal for an occasional step or two to be added.  Not normal for hundreds to thousands of steps.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Will do. I will be charging it as soon as I received very it, then set it up and wait till it needs charging again, then document changes. If all goes well we plan on purchasing another one.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Fitbit,

While I was riding my Motorbike the steps count increase, is there an button to stop counting the steps while we are not doing anything?

@AlessFitbit wrote:

Hey, everyone!

I know many of you are wondering what the status on this bug is and I'm here to reassure you this is still being worked on by our team. For anyone still getting ghost steps on their Versa's, we are definitely working towards a fix. I don't have a timeline for when the fix will be released, so I appreciate everyone's patience for the time being. I recommend if possible, placing your Versa on a different flat surface without any vibrations to prevent the extra steps. 

Hi, everyone!

Sorry to hear that some of you are accumulating unwanted steps while charging your Versa's. Thank you for taking the time to report this issue here on the forums. Our team is aware of this affecting some of you and is working towards a fix on a future firmware release.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Hazrul wrote:

Hi Fitbit,

While I was riding my Motorbike the steps count increase, is there an button to stop counting the steps while we are not doing anything?

@AlessFitbit wrote:

Hey, everyone!

Hi, everyone!

What type of motorbike?   

My Blaze will add extra steps on my V-twin motorcycle when idling such as at stop lights.  Many Hogs will add steps to any fitness tracker especially when idling.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@AlessFitbit wrote:

Hey, everyone!

Hi, everyone!

I am STILL having issues. None of the things suggested helps at all. I'm so tired of seeing "move it away from any source of vibration"!

My versa is on my arm. I am not vibrating. I was seated for 2 hours this evening, I did not move and accumulated over 5000 steps.... again, I am pretty sure I don't vibrate, nor Did I do anything that should register as a step.

There are many issues with the Versa, but these ghost steps irritate me the most. I feel like should have purchased a cheep knock off tracker, it probably would have worked better!

I let support drag it out so long I can't return mine. Anyone who can return probably should! This is rediculous!

Best Answer
0 Votes

On Wednesday from 6 pm till 11:40 I was in car driving 630km. I did not have stop from 8 pm till 11:40 and was just driving my car. As you can see i “made” some steps. Is ther any chance Fitbit can make some “driving mode”? D2BD49E3-4E05-4427-B0C5-16CC87C57050.jpeg

Best Answer
0 Votes

Before anyone comments, yes I have read this is a bug but my Versa was on the charger with NO CHANCE of any vibration and it counted 975 steps. Is there a way to erase these steps prior to exercising? There seems to be a lot bugs  with the Versa that I am really regretting this purchase. 

Best Answer

Exactly, they got our money and we got junk!! The kept stringing me along till it was to late to return. I let them string me along because I really wanted to like the Versa, but it's been so bad for so long, I'm thinking about buying a different brand and cutting ties with fitbit.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have heard a lot about shopping carts. Apparently if you take a shopping cart that has no anti static wheels, static electricity will actually shock you while using the cart. Most shopping centers are now purchasing anti static wheels, because if this static it is a possible cause to your friends issue. It has been documented.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Alejandra, I think after more than three months since this conversation started, and considering the number of people affected by the problem, it would be reasonable for us to have a commitment from Fitbit as to when this problem will be solved.

Best Answer

Hello everyone, I hope you're doing well. Smiley Happy

I appreciate your participation in the forums and for sharing your experience with us. Please note that as mentioned earlier by @AlejandraFitbit, our team is aware of the issue and is working towards a prompt and proper resolution. Keep in mind that some issues are more difficult to resolve than others, which means it will be irresponsible on my part to provide you a specific timeframe for when this situation will be resolved as it might take longer than expected. 

Once we have more information to share with you about this situation, we'll make sure to post it here in the official Forums. Thanks again for your patience and understanding, I hope you have a great day. 

Marco G. | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did you find my post helpful? Vote for it or mark it as a Solution! Robot wink

Best Answer

Okay, I said I would start posting my experience as soon as I received my new Versa.  I received my Versa yesterday, I took it out of the box, I charged it to 100% before doing anything, then proceeded with the set up.  I did not touch my Versa until all the updates were in and the download complete on Versa.

I charged it with a UL certified charger, did not see any increase in steps (ghost steps). I set it up according to the instructions, so far so good.  The one thing I did that most don't do, is actually measured out my actual stride and put it manually in my dashboard.

I wore it all last night, did not get many steps because I received it late in the day, but did do what some of you did, sit on the couch, went for a drive and did a few things around the home, still no ghost steps.

I wore it last night to have it record my sleep, still no extra ghost steps and the sleep recorded was pretty accurate.

It is at 79% battery life right now, I am also doing my 250 steps per hour as I set that also in my dashboard.

I worked at my computer a bit today, no ghost steps recorded, not even a single one unless I take a step.  I am receiving my notifications, I chose not to add any music.  I have also changed my face clock about 10 times, all still going strong.

I average 11,000 steps per day.  We wills see once the day is complete.  I will be working out around 4:00 today, will be watching closely.  I am also right now at 5 stairs completed.  No ghost steps.

My version of the watch says 32.32.10.15 Model number FB505.

I also have been syncing it today, 4 times to just check the software and the Versa.  I will get back to you all tomorrow.

Best Answer
0 Votes