Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RESOLVED: Steps count increase while charging Fitbit Versa

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Fitbit Update: 9/09

Hi, Versa Fam! 

Thanks so much for your patience while our team continues to investigate and work on this issue. We're still working on this and I hope to have more information for you all very soon. 

As soon as there is a fix in place, I will make sure to announce that here. Please stay tuned and subscribed to this thread for updates. 

Fitbit Update: 7/25

Hey, everyone!

I know many of you are wondering what the status on this bug is and I'm here to reassure you this is still being worked on by our team. For anyone still getting ghost steps on their Versa's, we are definitely working towards a fix. I don't have a timeline for when the fix will be released, so I appreciate everyone's patience for the time being. I recommend if possible, placing your Versa on a different flat surface without any vibrations to prevent the extra steps. 

Fitbit Update: 6/21

Hi, everyone!

Sorry to hear that some of you are accumulating unwanted steps while charging your Versa's. Thank you for taking the time to report this issue here on the forums. Our team is aware of this affecting some of you and is working towards a fix on a future firmware release.

Thanks for your patience for the time being. Smiley Happy

Want to get more steps? Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
602 REPLIES 602

@nitesh2cool wrote:

I wonder what your development team is doing but the quickest fix would be.

if (fitbit charging)

disable step count;

else

enable step count;

I wonder how hard can this be! If your fitbit is charging its not on the hand and there is no need to count steps, that's it. Btw I am a embedded software developer and if you need a developer hire me !! I really would like to know why are you guys facing so much issues fixing this software bugs.

They need to get beyond this:

int main()
{
  printf("Hello world\n");
  return 0;
}
Best Answer
Exactly you can't wear the thing while it's charging
Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine did this today.  I have only had it a week and it didn't do it the first time I charged it but it did this time. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi everyone, if you are new to the thread and are having this issue then feel free to check the suggestions shared here to help resolve the issue. If you have already tried them please let our Support team know so they can further assist you.

I'll be around!

Alvaro | Community Moderator

If a post helped you try voting and selecting it as a solution so other members benefit from it. Select it as Best Solution!

Best Answer

Thanks! I called support yesterday and they are sending me a new tracker.

Best Answer

Why don’t you just add a couple of lines of code under >settings >about. It could be a single yes/no question: Reset Steps Only? Selecting “Yes” would zero out the steps so far for that day.

Best Answer
0 Votes
If they can do that, they can much more easily automatically discount steps while watch is on charger or not on wrist, and that would be a far better solution, unless ghost steps are also happening while you are wearing the watch (eg sitting down and the step count starts going up).

Sent from Mail for Windows 10
Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes, the ghost steps occur when the watch is being worn and one is sitting without moving their arm at all. This happened to me with 4 different versas. I finally gave up and demanded a refund.

Best Answer
0 Votes

So your product has genuine issues. You cudnt deliver what you promised. Can we please have our money back? I can pack it with the box and send your like I received it. I don't want replacement. Please give me my hard earned money back.

Best Answer
If you are in the UK, Fitbit cannot unilaterally relieve you of your right to a refund. Consumer protection laws stop them doing that. As for the Land of the Free, I don’t know the situation there.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10
Best Answer
0 Votes

This is really frustrating!  I haven’t even had my Versa for 2 weeks & it’s already having trouble.  I returned my Charge 2 because it stopped counting floors...only owned it since May 2018.  I think I’m done with Fitbit products.  They just aren’t reliable.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Can we get this issue sorted quick.

My Versa is less than 1 week old and already noticing ghost steps while sleeping on public transport, and typing. I cant seam to force replicate the ghost steps using same activity.

23000 steps so far, walked no more than 3 miles and been on bus for 3hours.

I woke up this morning with 632 steps, I expect some steps but its accuracy just now seams to be as low as 60/70%.

This isn't acceptable for a £200 piece of equipment that is supposed to help with health and fitness.

I have supposedly burned 5000 calories due to these steps.  This is completely inaccurate for what should be an essential feature of the product.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Fibit don't do quick; look back at the beginning of these posts. It's been literally months and months!!! My advise, return it if you can.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Return it and get your money back if you can and buy a fitness tracker from another company.

They just say that they working on it for several months. 

I would return mine too, but I have it too long to return it.

I‘ve just charged my Versa and got more than 10.000 ghosts steps just from charging. 

Also if you use the bike riding activity you get ghost steps and floors every time.

Best Answer
0 Votes

They told me I had mine too long too... but I found a way. Anytime I post how I got a refund the moderators delete the post.

@SunsetRunner wrote:

Return it and get your money back if you can and buy a fitness tracker from another company.

They just say that they working on it for several months. 

I would return mine too, but I have it too long to return it.

I‘ve just charged my Versa and got more than 10.000 ghosts steps just from charging. 

Also if you use the bike riding activity you get ghost steps and floors every time.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Ugh, I’m sorry, that is so frustrating. I didn’t have any problems with mine until the last week. I suggest calling support; they were super helpful for me and I was on the phone for less than ten minutes. I’ve been using various fitbits since 2012 and I love them.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@BlondieEsq wrote:
Ugh, I’m sorry, that is so frustrating. I didn’t have any problems with mine until the last week. I suggest calling support; they were super helpful for me and I was on the phone for less than ten minutes. I’ve been using various fitbits since 2012 and I love them.

I spent a lot of times on the phone with support. They were always friendly and tried to help. But after having to get replacement Versas 3 times (4 separate devises) all with the same reoccurring issues, over the course of several months, I gave up and demanded a refund.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Wow, I can’t blame you! FOUR?! That is insane. And really disappointing. I’m hoping my next one works... 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I will cross my fingers that you get a good one... I was never that lucky.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Is the problem of ghost steps been corrected and if so how also why hasn't
the solution been shared with the rest of us. I know run on sentence...
Best Answer
0 Votes