Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RESOLVED: Steps count increase while charging Fitbit Versa

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Fitbit Update: 9/09

Hi, Versa Fam! 

Thanks so much for your patience while our team continues to investigate and work on this issue. We're still working on this and I hope to have more information for you all very soon. 

As soon as there is a fix in place, I will make sure to announce that here. Please stay tuned and subscribed to this thread for updates. 

Fitbit Update: 7/25

Hey, everyone!

I know many of you are wondering what the status on this bug is and I'm here to reassure you this is still being worked on by our team. For anyone still getting ghost steps on their Versa's, we are definitely working towards a fix. I don't have a timeline for when the fix will be released, so I appreciate everyone's patience for the time being. I recommend if possible, placing your Versa on a different flat surface without any vibrations to prevent the extra steps. 

Fitbit Update: 6/21

Hi, everyone!

Sorry to hear that some of you are accumulating unwanted steps while charging your Versa's. Thank you for taking the time to report this issue here on the forums. Our team is aware of this affecting some of you and is working towards a fix on a future firmware release.

Thanks for your patience for the time being. Smiley Happy

Want to get more steps? Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
602 REPLIES 602

I have had this Versa for 6 days. Worked great the first 3. Moved the charger off the night stand with my fan hoping that would help and it still gave me 24K steps when I’d only walked .9 mile. Paid too much for it to randomly add steps- near a fan or not. Will return this afternoon. My Blaze that I lost , NEVER did this. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've had my Versa since they were first released, and have never had this issue.  It sounds like a dropped bit or something, during an update.  Not hardware, or it would affect everyone. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

So since I discovered this mystery step problem when I purchased mine in early May, I have read thru a few different threads and many posts.  I think I can summarize the following.

-While many of us have accumulated thousands of unwarranted steps while the Versa was sitting on the charger, some users report accumulating unwarranted steps while simply sitting out on its own, or even wearing it while remaining relatively innactive

-These mystery steps do not show up on the step graph, seemingly eliminating external vibration sources as the culprit.

-People's replacement Versa's are still sometimes exhibiting the same problem however some people report owning a Versa for several weeks now and not having ever experienced the problem.

-It was suggested in one post I read that some Ionics may also be exhibiting the same problem but nothing on earlier models such as the Charge series or Blaze.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Has there been any progress in resolving this issue?? I got my Versa on June 6 of this year and, within the first week, I was already getting 'ghost steps' . The daily graph/breakdown of steps gives the accurate number but the dashboard and list of days gives a completely inaccurate step-log. (And, no i dont place it by any other electronic device nor anything that moves/vibrates) Unfortunately it took me a few weeks to realize this was even happening. 

I would hope some sort of resolution has been found since June 21 when you first addressed this problem.

Amy Collins 

amyjane11206@gmail.com

Best Answer

I have changed my charging ports repeatedly and it hasn't made any difference in logging 'ghost steps' to MY versa.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I got the Hiking Boot badge for the first time today because of this problem.  It's really disappointing because I'd much rather get that badge legitimately...I'm up to 36,890 "steps" and I haven't worn ANY fitbit today.  Add me to the list of people who REALLY want this fixed.  I am seriously considering returning the Versa.  For now, I think I'm going to remove it from my account and go back to my Blaze. This is what I get for wanting the prettier one...

Best Answer

Fitbit, shouldn't you consider pulling this product from the market until this issue is solved?  I can only foresee more and more disgruntled users.

Best Answer

I was on the phone with support today. They told me these ghost steps a firmware issue and they are working on a fix. My original one worked until the first firmware update. Problem is, fitbit has no way to roll back to a previous version of the firmware. So it looks like we are stuck till the figure this out. I asked about returning it for a refund, but it turns out, I am past the return window since I let them replace it so many times... I'm on my 3rd... 

Best Answer

Ok, so at least it sounds like they've recognised the problem. If it's firmware, then it doesn't sound like the world's most difficult problem to solve so hopefully we won't be waiting long.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I can say my ghost steps happened both before and after the early May firmware update. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Really hoping that they fix this issue soon.  I woke up to 22K steps this morning with it buzzing on the charger.....

Best Answer
0 Votes

my fitbit was on charge last night and woke up to 63,000 steps.

Best Answer

Hello all, I hope you are doing fine.

As mentioned by our friend, our team is aware of this issue and is working to find a solution for it. Your patience will be much appreciated while they find a fix.

In other hand, if you are placing your units in a surface that have a fan or anything that might be buzzing or vibrating near, I recommend placing the Fitbit on a different surface to avoid the unwanted information.

If there is anything else we can do for you, let us know. Robot Happy

Alejandra | Community Moderator, Fitbit

If you like something I recommended, I encourage you to mark that reply as "Best Answer". 🙂

Best Answer

Yeah when I had only 9567 steps, and I left the Versa to charge for 1 your, and then I had over 40k steps...

it’s annoying

Best Answer

I'm not sure how that will help. The steps show up to my totals, but aren't shown as "activity". I'm really not understanding how this is happening. I work nights, so I put my Versa on the charger after 8am and didn't put it back on till about 4pm.  No activity is shown in that time, yet 63,000 steps were added. Screenshot_20180704-164651.png

Best Answer
0 Votes

Just got my Versa early June. Just had steps show up mysteriously this morning for the first time. Although they do not show up on the graph. I know a fix is coming. But I’d there anyway to zero out the steps in the meantime? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Laying down for a hour watching tv and had 14 steps registered. Shaking my protein counted 114 steps.

Do you guys have a release date for this fix? Otherwise I will return it back to store.

Best Answer
0 Votes

My Versa counted over 400 steps while charging and i can't delete them e.g by overwriting with an activity. The step diagramm is empty but it still says i walked 421 steps today.

38a7bd30-f4ee-4159-9d38-3b89d8686cdd.jpg
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi everyone!

I would like to know if there was a fan or anything that may have been buzzing or vibrating on the same surface that your Versa were placed. If this is the case, as recommended in my previous post, please place your units on a different surface without vibrations and see if this persists.

Catch you later. Man Happy

Alejandra | Community Moderator, Fitbit

If you like something I recommended, I encourage you to mark that reply as "Best Answer". 🙂

Best Answer

Hi Alejandra,

Not the case at all. The steps count works fine, if you make 20 steps it counts the 20 steps but also counts other movements as steps when in fact they don't.

I understand that "steps count" in your wrist is not an easy thing to do when it stands to accuracy but Versa is a little bit overkill 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes