Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RESOLVED: Steps count increase while charging Fitbit Versa

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Fitbit Update: 9/09

Hi, Versa Fam! 

Thanks so much for your patience while our team continues to investigate and work on this issue. We're still working on this and I hope to have more information for you all very soon. 

As soon as there is a fix in place, I will make sure to announce that here. Please stay tuned and subscribed to this thread for updates. 

Fitbit Update: 7/25

Hey, everyone!

I know many of you are wondering what the status on this bug is and I'm here to reassure you this is still being worked on by our team. For anyone still getting ghost steps on their Versa's, we are definitely working towards a fix. I don't have a timeline for when the fix will be released, so I appreciate everyone's patience for the time being. I recommend if possible, placing your Versa on a different flat surface without any vibrations to prevent the extra steps. 

Fitbit Update: 6/21

Hi, everyone!

Sorry to hear that some of you are accumulating unwanted steps while charging your Versa's. Thank you for taking the time to report this issue here on the forums. Our team is aware of this affecting some of you and is working towards a fix on a future firmware release.

Thanks for your patience for the time being. Smiley Happy

Want to get more steps? Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
602 REPLIES 602

Hi.  We appreciate the fact that Fitbit acknowledges this problem but with all due respect, many, many of us have posted that the steps mysteriously show up but are not present in the step graph activity chart.  If steps caused by an external vibration source then the step activity, false or not, would be present in the step graph.

Please do not continually tell us to move our trackers to a different location when that is so obviously not the problem. 

@AlejandraFitbit wrote:

Hi everyone!

I would like to know if there was a fan or anything that may have been buzzing or vibrating on the same surface that your Versa were placed. If this is the case, as recommended in my previous post, please place your units on a different surface without vibrations and see if this persists.

Catch you later. Man Happy

Best Answer
Agreed! Plus, when I emailed back and forth with support, their suggestion was to add in a "driving" activity with 0 calories, and said it would delete any steps during that time period. However, there were no steps on the graph while it was charging anyways- 22K steps just mysteriously appeared overnight. The support tech said that it took the steps out on his end, and mine would update in a couple days. That was 4 days ago, and my 35K steps for the day are all still there. 😕 Frustrating, because I "earned" several badges that I really shouldn't have. Hoping an update is coming out to fix these issues soon!
This electronic mail (including any attachments) may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and/or otherwise protected from disclosure to anyone other than its intended recipient(s). Any dissemination or use of this electronic mail or its contents (including any attachments) by persons other than the intended recipient(s) is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by reply e-mail so that we may correct our internal records. Please then delete the original message (including any attachments) in its entirety. Thank you
Best Answer

Yes. This happened to me over the weekend. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

That's the main reason I sent mine back too. I was adding steps while I was driving, so I just went back to my Blaze. Not sure why the Blaze can keep more accurate count but the Versa can not!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I just charged by Versa for about 30 mins and when it was done my step count was way high.  this is a big issue!

When will an update firmware be available for Android. 

Best Answer

I woke up to 'only' 23000 steps.  I guess other folks do more sleep-walking than I do...

In all seriousness, if folks have used the 'Add a Driving Activity' approach, did it work?  And if so, what start/end time did you use?

This is something of a deal-killer for me.  Like many people, I bought my FitBit (3rd one in 5 years) for one purpose: counting steps.  If it can't do that reliably, I will find another solution.  

Best Answer
0 Votes
No it doesnt work, probably for the same reason the fake steps don't show
up in your phone app records.
Best Answer
0 Votes
No, it did not work at all. I chatted with FitBit support the other day, and he walked me through how to do it. He said that "it worked on his end", but he wasn't sure why my total steps were still showing 30K.....he brushed it off and said they should be cleared off in a few days. They never cleared off, and I also earned top badges because my FitBit thinks I had 35K steps in 1 day. Very frustrating.
This electronic mail (including any attachments) may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and/or otherwise protected from disclosure to anyone other than its intended recipient(s). Any dissemination or use of this electronic mail or its contents (including any attachments) by persons other than the intended recipient(s) is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by reply e-mail so that we may correct our internal records. Please then delete the original message (including any attachments) in its entirety. Thank you
Best Answer
0 Votes
So Fitbit support is still trying to blame us, the users? I spend $250 on
this special edition on preorder, after tax.
This needs to be recalled, and I need to be reimbursed. I'm waiting for a
replacement but have no faith the new unit is going to work, considering
its on the same f'd up operating system.
Best Answer

They are aware of the issue and have acknowledged it. They are "working on a fix" is what i have been told, in the meantime we have a junk peice of equipment that is pretty much useless. 

Best Answer
Yesterday I deleted the fitbit app from my phone. It corrected the problem with my phone and also resolved the issue with my fitbit dying quickly. It is definitely an issue with the app.

Tracey Hearn
(302) 841-3898
Best Answer
0 Votes

This issue is not shared by everyone.  I have never seen the issue while charging, however, I wear my tracker at night and charge it (when necessary) during the day.  It only takes a little over an hour to charge, and I've never seen steps added during a change.

Best Answer
0 Votes

After reading through some of these comments, I'm guessing we will continue to have an issue with steps being counted while charging, or even worse for me, during my alarm times?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I had this happen for the first time today. I gained about 12,000 steps while charging my Versa. The steps don't even show up on my daily steps chart. I'm glad this is being worked on.

Best Answer
0 Votes
My bad experience did not start until one week ago. Count your lucky stars
it did not happen to you yet and think of this post when and if it does
happen to you.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I too received a replacement versa because of this issue. The representative never told me this was a known issue. He simply stated I've done all the troubleshooting I can and that they would send me a new one. Now I've had the new one for about 1 week and the problem is worse. I don't even put my versa on the charger at night and it still accumulates steps. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I set my watch down and an hour later the watch says I have 20,000+ steps. I don't see how this has anything to do with the App. 

With that said, I wonder if you had/have the 'All-Day Sync' turned on (before you reinstalled the App and after you reinstalled it).  Do you happen to know?

Best Answer
0 Votes

When I had my watch, it was doing it will All-Day Sync turned off.  I keep it in this mode because it drains the phone battery much faster with it turned on.  I'm doubtful this problem is app related.
@SunsetRunner wrote:

I set my watch down and an hour later and have 20,000+ steps. I don't see how this has anything to do with the App. 

With that said, I wonder if you had/have the 'All-Day Sync' turned on (before you reinstalled the App and after you reinstalled it).  Do you happen to know?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi all, thanks for the information.

For the ones that are having issues with the watches registering steps while charging or not wearing them, as said before in this thread, we are aware of the problem and are working to resolve it as quickly as possible, sorry for any inconvenience it's caused and appreciate your patience and look forward to getting you back on track.

For the ones that have managed this issue and the problem is directly with accuracy, I would like to know if you have already contacted our support team, since they have the proper tools to see your information. Have they offer a solution for this?

See you around. Smiley Wink

Alejandra | Community Moderator, Fitbit

If you like something I recommended, I encourage you to mark that reply as "Best Answer". 🙂

Best Answer

I posted 8 days ago, and I figured I'd share an update.

For the two nights during which I had a problem, I had left the Versa on my dresser (once charging and once not charging) while I wore my Blaze.  Both were linked to the same account at the time.

I thought the dresser location might be too close to my husband's air purifier, and it's not where I would normally charge the watch (although it would be nice to be able to use that location).  When I created another account for the Versa, I tried moving it to our charging station in the kitchen, and then to a spot in the bathroom. I was worried about the dishwasher and the bathroom fan, but no phantom steps were recorded. I left it in the kitchen for a few days actually, and still it read 0 steps.  I then put it back on the dresser while the air purifier was running for just a few minutes and it read 465 steps, and 93 BPM.  I only took 45 steps to get it to that location, and it was not on my wrist. 

So, it seems I've found a work-around for now, but I have to be mindful that I don't take it off next to my computer at work, and I won't be taking it on vacation. I live in a wooded area, set back off of a side street that is off of another side street, so basically a low vibration spot.  Not everyone is in that same situation.

Best Answer
0 Votes