Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RESOLVED: Steps count increase while charging Fitbit Versa

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Fitbit Update: 9/09

Hi, Versa Fam! 

Thanks so much for your patience while our team continues to investigate and work on this issue. We're still working on this and I hope to have more information for you all very soon. 

As soon as there is a fix in place, I will make sure to announce that here. Please stay tuned and subscribed to this thread for updates. 

Fitbit Update: 7/25

Hey, everyone!

I know many of you are wondering what the status on this bug is and I'm here to reassure you this is still being worked on by our team. For anyone still getting ghost steps on their Versa's, we are definitely working towards a fix. I don't have a timeline for when the fix will be released, so I appreciate everyone's patience for the time being. I recommend if possible, placing your Versa on a different flat surface without any vibrations to prevent the extra steps. 

Fitbit Update: 6/21

Hi, everyone!

Sorry to hear that some of you are accumulating unwanted steps while charging your Versa's. Thank you for taking the time to report this issue here on the forums. Our team is aware of this affecting some of you and is working towards a fix on a future firmware release.

Thanks for your patience for the time being. Smiley Happy

Want to get more steps? Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
602 REPLIES 602

I feel quite confident that no suggested tips, moving the Versa to a different place, resetting etc, will solve the issue.  Only (hopefully) a firmware update will do, assuming it's not a hardware issue.

Best Answer

I agree, I have been changing places to dock my versa but still putting up thousands of ghost steps. I wonder if other fitbits have the same problem and what did they do differently with versa. Granted the feature set is rich but it shouldn't come at the cost of basics. 

Did Fitbit share an ETA? At this point, I'm leaning to return my device.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Nope nothing yet except that they're working on it.

Brenna
Best Answer
0 Votes

Told me to return my versa for a refund 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have tried charging both ways and I still get the mysterious additional steps 🤬. I think I could sneeze and get 500 steps! Crazy! I’m sending mine back and trying  the versa one more time! If it still has a problem I am going to get a charge 2 like my wife’s. She doesn’t have this problem! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi there- I just got my Fitbit versa yesterday and noticed that my steps increased to over 30K while it was charging. Has the firmware issue been fixed yet? If not, is there a way to temporarily reset my steps so I can get an accurate count? Thanks!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@geepondy wrote:

I feel quite confident that no suggested tips, moving the Versa to a different place, resetting etc, will solve the issue.  Only (hopefully) a firmware update will do, assuming it's not a hardware issue.

I agree a 100% and also think it might be partly hardware related. See points 2, 3 here and this summary

Best Answer
0 Votes
No you can't reset your steps. However, I did find a forum that explained
you can add an activity to offset them. Also, look at your step chart and
see if it matches your total counted steps. Sometimes I've noticed my chart
is accurate and the count is not.

Brenna
Best Answer
0 Votes

I would expect all users to have the issue if it was a hardware issue.  I have never had the issue, and had my Versa since initial release.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Is there a way to "do not track" mode? I could use it to disable step counting while charging or a fan on.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello everyone. Sorry to hear that this issue is still affecting several of you. For the ones who are new to the thread as previously mentioned please check that there isn't any vibration caused by a nearby electronic device as this could be the cause of the additional steps. This is only for new members so if you have already discarded this as a factor then please disregard this part. 

For the ones who mentioned this before you can generally negate steps by logging a driving activity. You can find the instructions here but this may not help in this particular case if the steps were randomly counted by the Versa.

@Baäl @BrennaB @jennifermadi @5ggggg you will get an email from Support so they can further assist you.

I'll be around!

Alvaro | Community Moderator

If a post helped you try voting and selecting it as a solution so other members benefit from it. Select it as Best Solution!

Best Answer
These suggestions are not a resolution. Fitbit needs to get it togetherness
and send out a firmware update to correct it. This is my third fitbit and
never had a vibration issue.

C'mon now. You're the leading fitness tracker company. Stop with the
excuses.

Thank you
Brenna Brockway
Best Answer

I am getting extra steps as well when my Fitbit Versa is charging or when I just move my hand/arm while doing my hair. When will the firmware update be released to fix the extra steps issue?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am also on my 3rd Versa. I do not charge my Versa near anything that vibrates at all. I also get mystery steps when its not charging.  I can be sitting perfectly still and accumulate steps. It makes no sence. Actually while sitting here typing this response holding my phone in the and with the Versa on the wrist and not using that hand at all to type this in the phone I have increased by 50 steps. I wish the fitbit team could find a resolution for the issue.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have had mine since initial release as well. Pre-ordered it. I didn't notice issues until they sent out the first firmware update. Thst is why I believe a new firmware update could resolve the issue .

Glad to hear your not having issues! 

BrennaB

Best Answer
0 Votes

I bought mine a couple of weeks after initial release, maybe a week or so before the early May firmware update.  I "believe" I had the mystery step issue before and after firmware update but not 100 percent sure.
@BrennaB wrote:

I have had mine since initial release as well. Pre-ordered it. I didn't notice issues until they sent out the first firmware update. Thst is why I believe a new firmware update could resolve the issue .

Glad to hear your not having issues! 

BrennaB

Best Answer
0 Votes

Log riding inn car during charging times

Best Answer
0 Votes

I to am having same probs. My steps are through the roof?!  Should I return my versa and get replacement? Or wait till they fix this? 

Thanks

Best Answer
0 Votes

I see no reason why vibration should matter.

It knows when it is on the charger. That information should be enough for it to suppress recording of sleep time, steps taken, and pulse rate.

Best Answer

My Versa is wildly inaccurate as well. I even accumulate up to 10 floors a day without even seeing stairs. I looked forward to this device so much and I am very, very disappointed in its performance.

Best Answer