Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Versa + Heartrate monitor strap?

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

This watch looks amazing, but please tell me there will be some way of connecting a chest strap to monitor heart rate. Optical wrist sensors simply suck in their measurement accuracy period.

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

My guess is that fitbit don't see things the same way and support of external sensors would give a signal that they don't believe in their products.

Don't forget that for a lot of fitbit users the optical wrist sensors will be quite good enough for the purpose. For the rest, as you say, there are other products out there. 

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
11 REPLIES 11

Sorry, but no. There is a feature suggestion for this but so far it's only had 290 votes and there's no indication from fitbit that things are going to change.

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Suggestions/Ability-to-use-Chest-Strap-Heart-Rate-Monitor/id...

Best Answer

Thanks Steve. I'm amazed by this. In my experience there is so much range of error optical wrist sensors that they're practically useless. How this is acceptable in a fitness device for both manufacturer and consumer is beyond me.

@Fitbit -- I'll be buying another Garmin product

Best Answer

Additionally, here's an article on the matter for anyone with further interest in the usability of wrist-worn monitors...

https://www.wareable.com/sport/optical-heart-rate-tech-the-experts-speak-9763

Best Answer
0 Votes

My guess is that fitbit don't see things the same way and support of external sensors would give a signal that they don't believe in their products.

Don't forget that for a lot of fitbit users the optical wrist sensors will be quite good enough for the purpose. For the rest, as you say, there are other products out there. 

Best Answer

And if FitBit was serious about getting accurate results during an high intensity workout, they would allow a chest strap to be connected.   Tired of hearing this line of reasoning as to why FitBit does not allow external sensors.   Both Apple and Garmin watches support external devices.  Why?  Because they know that an optical HRM has limitations.    

Best Answer

Fitbit should make their own chest strap if they are worried about sales of competing devices. This seems like a potential revenue stream for fitbit to me. They could market the chest strap as the swimming strap as optical heart rate sensors are notoriously fickle in water. 

Best Answer

A Bluetooth strap won't broadcast underwater like that.  It would need to store the data on the HRM device itself, then sync the data after the workout.   Garmin and Suunto have straps currently do this.   Polar also has the H10 strap that saves the data to be synced later. 

Doesn't matter if Fitbit made a strap only compatible with their watches.   That would be fine.  Fitbit just needs to something because not all heart rate should be tracked at the wrist.  

Best Answer

Yes, I know the strap won't show real time stats and would have to sync, but the point is I agree with you fitbit should offer their own branded strap if they think it's a reflection on their product. The technology for optical sensors to track heart rate under water are just not there yet, but who knows what tomorrow will bring? They should also beef up the swim metrics and get on par with the metrics garmin and apple offer for swimming. They make a great product it could just be improved. 

Best Answer

Bringing a strap to the line that can be synchronized to the watch would be super cool... everything is about improvements and the watches with the WiFi, Bluetooth seem to me to be possile for this accessory...

Best Answer

I'm disappointed to read this thread and see this isn't an option.  I definitely think this will keep me from buying the Versa instead of the iWatch 4. I have a fitbit now and it is FAR from accurate compared to my Polar chest strap/watch.  

Best Answer

I am disappointed as well.  I like the Versa, but the lack of ANT+ support for third-party heart rate monitors is a deal killer.  Fitbit clearly wants to keep everything in their own ecosystem, at the expense of those seeking to optimize their experience by using more specialized monitors.  Marketing to the masses looking to get a bit fit, not completely fit.

Best Answer