Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Versa counting so many steps while driving

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I waited patiently for the Versa. I drive a large golf cart at a zoo. My first day driving I was given 17,000 steps!!! I had a chat with Fitbit team and was given instructions to change the settings when driving!! No thank you!! My old Fitbit Charge did not have this issue. Back to the drawing board please Fitbit. It’s no small investment for a Versa that I need to manage and who wants to remember to change the settings when you are in and out of a “cart” or any other bumpy vehicle? It’s going back.

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity 

Best Answer
109 REPLIES 109

Mine is set correctly and the theory about the steering wheel causing it while driving isn't right because I often have the Fitbit hands on my lap!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Solution doesn't work.  We tried this. We took the first one back and bought a second versa as I assume they are not all as bad.  It's not behaving quite as badly but we are undecided ... still too many steps counted when no walking being done. 16000 steps one day when my wife was just at work.  I have an ionic and no such problems. Maybe they shipped the duff versas to the UK or something?  Sometimes it doesn't register sleep properly either. Will try another reset but it seems a shame, nice product otherwise.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Are you in the UK? I'm in the US and I constantly have this problem. I
previously had the blaze before upgrading to the versa and I hate it. I'm
getting a new one but based on all of the complaints, it's obviously a
product problem.
Best Answer

Yes, disappointing as otherwise a good product. I decided to return mine as it didn't seem likely this bug would be addressed in the short term. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I've had mine for several months so I don't think returning is an option.
I'm getting a replacement but I don't see that solving anything. 😕
Best Answer
0 Votes

..........This is my final verdict after a lot of search/research...........

1. After logging of my exact driving times (manually and/or using drivebit app) for about 2 to 3 weeks i have seen a lot of improvement in versa. The versa is no longer logging hundreds of steps in hour-long commutes. I dont know if its real, i believe there is a learning curve to it. If more of people try this and update on it, it will be helpful.

2. The problem is bound to solve during the next firmware update of versa. The blaze, alta and other fitbit watches were not efficient from day one. They have been updated after collection of data from thousands of users and now are reported to be efficient by number of users.

Hence,the best way would be to log your driving data and wait for next firmware update. The problem is bound to solve with that.

Best Answer

I already took it back and got the Ionic.  No issues so far but as stated above it is a more established product.  Also costs a bit more.  Good luck to you all.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I drove for 8 hours from Indiana to Tennessee to visit my son and according to my Versa while sitting in the drivers seat of my car I walked 25,000 steps and climbed 350 floors!!!

Best Answer

Hello. 

I tried restarting the versa. It did not correct the steps and kept adding. 

I also downloaded the drivebit app but it didn’t sync with my iPhone. Saw in some posts that it is not working with iOS. 

Other than entering the drive every single time you drive so I have to remember how long I was in the car for or take pictures of the time I started and stopped driving I don’t see another way to correct the steps added. Logging in every time I drive sometimes 3 to 4 times a day is not acceptable. Taking pictures so that I remember is not an acceptable long term solution. 

Is there another solution? 

Best Answer

I just changed my setting to "dominant hand", even though it's not, to see if that would fix the issue. I log 2000 steps during my one hour drive to work. I might try the Drivebit app, but as others have stated, that is not a solution. It is a temporary work-around. Hopefully we get a firmware update soon that actually fixes this.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Heydy,

my new Versa Fitbit is also counting thousands of steps while I drive. I downloaded the DriveBit app which works ok but it’s not syncing to my challenges. So my dashboard is reading one step count, and my workweek challenge another. It’s also a pain to do. Sometimes I run around making multiple stops. The whole point of the Fitbit is to automatically and accurately record your steps? We shouldn’t need to manually tell it we aren’t walking. This is a fault in the product and your customers who paid $200+ deserve some real answers. 

Hope you can come up with a solution soon as its a great watch in all other aspects and it would be a shame to have to return it.

Best Answer

I just purchased the Versa, have had it for 5 days now. Mine is doing the same thing, very frustrating !! 

Best Answer

Purchased recently Versa , its not counting steps properly , its counting steps while driving , while travelling by bus/ train.

also suggest me how to exchange this product as I am not happy with this product

Best Answer
0 Votes

It is not that Fitbit does not care, it is more like there is nothing they can do about it. It is a hardware issue and many of their Versa units suffer this problem. There is a huge thread on this very problem. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

If it's a hardware issue, it's still Fitbit's hardware. If they can't fix it with a firmware update, they need to recall the Versa and refund or replace it. Offering an external app to work around the issue is not fixing it.

Best Answer

Well I am so sorry to say that Mi band 3 which is costing $24 is doing better job in counting steps than versa which is costing $200. 

This is is a sad part that I had to spend so much trusting your devices and I always have to do a manual work around by creating a log. This is really frustrating... 

Best Answer

I have been excited all week for my new Fitbit Versa. I realize technology is always growing, but the pedometer has been around for quite some time, and you would think the basics would be smoothed out by now, to accurately count steps. I wear my watch on my non-dominant hand, so not nearly as much movement as my left hand during driving and I still walked an extra 400+ steps and climbed 12 flights of stairs going to and from work. I mean if I was actually walking the mountain that would make sense, but not driving with my hand barely moving around. I woke up this morning with 800 steps under my belt. I just feel that if I am going to spend my hard earned money, I shouldn't have to search around for a separate app to make my watch function properly while driving or sleeping. It is a nice looking watch and hopefully in the future Fitbit will start taking these forums into consideration. THIS PROBLEM HAS NOT BEEN SOLVED. Also OFF TOPIC no one uses DEEZER and PANDORA IS THE INFERIOR MUSIC PLATFORM. BRING SPOTIFY TO FITBIT ALREADY!!! 

Unfortunately I am RETURNING my FITBIT VERSA tonight! 

Best Answer

I got my fitbit versa yesterday and I'm so disappointed I literally woke up this morning and got in my car and have been driving ever since. Apparently I have climbed 75 floors and taken over 8000 steps. What a waste of money never again will I be buying fitbit or even telling anyone about it the product isnt at a accurate.

Best Answer

I know it really is disappointing I've been turning it off at night and turning it on in the morning so i dont wake up to ridiculous numbers

Best Answer
0 Votes

Here's a simple idea. Give us the option to turn the floor and step counters off for when we are driving. Right from the watch would be great. Even better would be to have these counters turn off automatically when driving. If the Alpine Snow App can detect speed when I'm snowboarding down the mountain why can't an app be created to detect speed that is not humanely possible for long durations of time. (Aka driving) This should be very simple and all the other solutions that are given are inconvenient. KISS should be used when fixing this issue. 

Best Answer