Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Versa counts steps while playing the Piano

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I found out yesterday that playing the piano fools my fitbit versa into thinking I'm doing a whole lot of walking. Apparently I walked over 3000 steps yesterday over two hours sitting in one place playing piano for church. 🙂

Obviously I'll take my versa off when playing from now on, but thought I should mention it so that other pianists know it can fool with your stats. 🙂

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@Catachrest Welcome! It's nice to have you on board! Sorry to hear that your Versa counted steps while playing the Piano. I would like to explain that the Versa uses its accelerometer to detect movement and will translate said movement into steps. There are some instances in which you may be moving your hands but won't be actually walking for example when clapping, burping a baby, playing the drums or in your case playing the piano. You can negate these steps by logging a driving activity.

Let me know how it goes!

Alvaro | Community Moderator

If a post helped you try voting and selecting it as a solution so other members benefit from it. Select it as Best Solution!

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
6 REPLIES 6

@Catachrest Welcome! It's nice to have you on board! Sorry to hear that your Versa counted steps while playing the Piano. I would like to explain that the Versa uses its accelerometer to detect movement and will translate said movement into steps. There are some instances in which you may be moving your hands but won't be actually walking for example when clapping, burping a baby, playing the drums or in your case playing the piano. You can negate these steps by logging a driving activity.

Let me know how it goes!

If a post helped you try voting and selecting it as a solution so other members benefit from it. Select it as Best Solution!

Best Answer

So disappointing...it also counts hair and teeth brushing, typing on a keyboard, washing dishes...  Far too sensitive and much more so than other Fitbit devices I've had.  They all use accelerometers, so the fact that the Versa is so much more sensitive than the others indicates larger issues to me.

Best Answer

Thanks Alvaro! (and I love your avatar pic). I wasn't significantly dismayed - mostly just amused that I had 'walked' so far while sitting down! After posting this I saw it's been mentioned by others with other Fitbit devices too, and I don't see how it could be avoidable for the developers  really. It's good to know how to take the steps off the record, though. 

Best Answer

@EBaby Welcome to the Fitbit Community! I hope you're doing well! Sorry to hear that the Versa is too sensitive and for the delay in my reply. You can try wearing it on your non dominant hand but select that hand as dominant on your Versa settings to make it less sensitive to movement additionally to follow the suggestions in my first post. @Catachrest you can also try this on your Versa.

Hopefully this will help you both.

I'll be around!

Best Answer

My piano practice this morning added about 4000 steps. I took the suggestion and called this my "Driving" exercise from 10:30 for 75 minutes. That exactly fixed the ghost steps added to my walking exercise. In the future I will take my Fitbit Versa off , or, if I forget, I now have a mechanism to get back my "real" step count. Thanks!

Best Answer

@HalleyPgh Welcome! It's good that the community is growing!  Sorry for the late reply. Happy to hear that the suggestions helped you negate the steps. If you wish you can turn off the Versa (this way you won't forget it by leaving it in a different place) just go to settings > About > Shutdown.

I'll be around!

Best Answer