Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit Versa distance inaccurate

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hello, 

I bought the Fitbit Versa a couple of weeks ago, and love the way it works! But, it seems it isn't doing a very good job at measuring distances,  which I think is one of the main features an activity tracker is supposed to be flawless at. 

I've compared the distance of a run I do regularly on a couple of devices and apps: Apple Watch, Geonaute GPS tracker, Fitbit Charge HR (connected GPS), several iPhones, Samsung Galaxy S9, apps like Strava, Runkeeper, Nike +, Google fit. They all seem to have more or less the same distance at the end of the run, which is: 6.8 - 6.9km. This is more or less correct, as the measured track is 1800m long (I run 3 laps = 5400m) and I have to run an additional 2x725m (1450m) to go to the track and get back home.

Today I did another run with the Fitbit Versa. And it measured only 5,86km.  Which is more then 13% off... Meanwhile I tracked the same run with Strava on my Samsung, which is using the same GPS: 6,8km. You offer a close collab with Strava, but why aren't the distances in sync? And even more, when I do the same run with the Versa a couple of times, the distances aren't the same. For example: I did the same run last week with the Versa: 6,36km. How do you explain this? My tracking apps don't seem to have any problems with locating the GPS signal or staying connected. My Phone is in my pocket which is about 0-50cm from the Versa, bluetooth is on.  Connected GPS is on and working fine the whole time. The run is also showing up on the map in my fitbit app correctly, but the distance is way off. To me this seems to be a software issue, which should be easily resolved in another software updated. Please fix this issue asap! If my old Fitbit Charge HR was able track the distance correctly via the fitbit app, why isn't the Versa? 

Thx

Raf

Moderator edit: subject and format

Best Answer
147 REPLIES 147
I just called and they said as far as the step count, if it is kept too
close to a computer or phone that can interfere. Since my steps are
already off today, he suggested I restart it tomorrow and see how it goes.
If this doesn't work he said tondo a factory reset. This would delete all
your info. We'll see if it works!
Best Answer
'Close to a computer' - come tae ... Sounds like a British Rail excuse.

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes

According to my fitbit I ran 5.4km but maps actually calculated 7.4km. Does this mean my steps aren't calculating properly too?

Best Answer
0 Votes
I would say it is not calculating properly. My map last week shows me biking through a lake, I was riding my bike on a paved path around the lake. It also gave me less km than what I biked. It is so frustrating. I am recently out of cancer treatments and part of a fitness research study for cancer patients. I got the Fitbit to track my exercise. I got the Blaze and it fried in less than six months. I returned it and got the Versa. I like the Versa, however, I need it to to do what it is mainly meant to do...track my steps and exercise accurately.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

I don't know what they have changed on versa but the distance tracking has gone to hell. This is the exact same ride tracked with my versa 5 weeks apart and yes I have restarted everything. I do this every time I finish charging just in caseSmartSelect_20180813-190806_Gallery.jpg

SmartSelect_20180813-190754_Gallery.jpg

Best Answer
0 Votes
I am having major decrepencies with the new Versa Fitbit which I purchased last Sunday, August 19, 2018. A 3.1 mile run calculates at 1,88 and the biking function doesn't register miles at all. The answer from Alejandro to another disappointed user seems to point to GPS as the culprit. How do I make sure I am connected to GPS correctly?
Best Answer
0 Votes

I am still having issues as well. I did find that if you go into the exercise shortcut in your app there is a toggle to turn on the GPS for that particular shortcut which no one at fitbit shared with me during the many phone calls and emails back and forth. Stumbled on that myself. Then, I had to change my stride length to 37, which I am sure is completely wrong, but that at least puts me at about 2200 steps per mile which is way more accurate that what it was giving me at my original setting of 27. For some reason, at 27 I had to walk over 3200 steps to reach a mile. I am still having GPS connecting issues at times, but do check to be sure your GPS is turned on in the shortcut you are using. The whole thing is ridiculous! 

Best Answer

Has there been any kind of fix for Versa inaccuracies? I still have my stride length set at 37 for it to measure a mile correctly which is crazy. Yesterday I did about 15+ flights of stairs and it registered 5. The watch face goes black when it is syncing and stays that way till the sync is done. And now I get this odd vibrating at random times throughout the day. I look at the watch to see why it is vibrating there is no reason for it. Actually a friend has the Ionic and hers is doing the same random vibrate lately.

Anybody have fixes or updates to these? This is my 2nd Versa with issues and I don't want to exchange for a 3rd for it to have the same issues.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi. I’ve been searching forums for answers and keep seeing the explanation “your Fitbit measures distance by multiplying your steps by stride length....” but that’s exactly where mine has an issue. 

I just received my replacement today, for my versa that suddenly went black and wouldn’t turn on. Prior to that, it was calculating distance incorrectly. My brand new one, on day one, is doing the same thing. But it’s the basic math that’s so wrong. 

For example: I’ve walked 7,466 steps today. My stride length is 29 inches (2.41 feet). So we multiply 7,466 x 2.41 and we get 17,993.06. If we divide that by 5,280 (feet in a mile), we get 3.41 miles. But my versa currently registers 2.48. That’s a huge difference, and ts incredibly frustrating! It doesn’t seem another replacement will fix this. Starting to think it wasn’t worth the $200 spent when my Charge 2 did a better job in accuracy. ☹️

Best Answer

I had to change my stride length to 37 which is ridiculous just to get it to track miles correctly. I am also on my 2nd one thinking my first Versa was a bad one. 2nd one is the same. NEVER tracks my flights of stairs correctly, GPS only connects 1/2 the time or midway through my exercise which is useless. I have opened case after case with fitbit support and have gotten nowhere. Factory resets are a major waste of time. I have asked Fitbit when the recall is going to take place and they have no plans to recall this $200.00 time keeper. Basically that all it is is a freakin' watch! Luckily I have a 2 year warranty and can take it back at anytime, I just can't decide what to exchange it for being I have been a loyal Fitbit user for almost 3 years. The Blaze was amazing. Sorry I replaced it for the Versa waterproof feature. Since I got this piece of crap in June I have done nothing but post, open troubleshoot cases and complain about this thing in hopes of a recall/upgrade. No other company in the world would be allowed to sell a defective product knowing of it's defects and continue to do so. Why are they allowed?

Best Answer

Hi I am also having the same problem with my Versa. My distance today was 10km if calculated by Endomondo but Versa only tracked it as 7km. I have noticed this diffirences from the start.. There's always a huge difference. Are they fixing this?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Not a fix, but a cheat, is to up your stride length to around 37. I know that is ridiculous, but it is the only way I can get this thing to read distance (miles) close to what it used to be with my Blaze.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I also purchased a Fitbit Versa a couple of weeks ago and loved everything about it - except when tracking my walk!  I tried it twice and compared with '"May My Walk" with my iPhone.  Each time was at least 1-1/2 miles short.  I did a video chat with Fitbit and all they suggested was restarting my watch and measuring my steps!!??  I really liked everything else about the watch but since one of  the reasons I purchased was to measure my distance and speed, was very disappointed.  I had the GPS connected and in my pocket but all it kept saying was "connecting" which I'm not sure it was??  I ended up returning today.  Now trying Apple Watch Series 3 paying an extra $100+ .  Very  disappointed!

Best Answer
0 Votes
Yup. It's totally inaccurate. Some days I do hardly any walking and I'm hitting 10,000 steps and the next I can walk 6 miles and I'm nowhere near that figure. I need to return it and try another one as I'm hoping it is just this watch. Everything else about it I love as well. I don't have an iPhone so the watch you have would be quite limited for me. Tell, us how the new watch is for accuracy though. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes

For those of you who have been writing on this thread is this still an issue for you? have you dumped Fitbit?

i am looking for some guidance. With my Versa I find it is showing the correct miles and steps on the watch but as soon as you sync with the App it then doubles the miles for a particular 15 minute increment. Normally the one I have been most active in. 

I think the the issue is the Versa does not sync correctly with the Fitbit app.

I have been talking to fitbit since September and received a replacement Versa which has the same issue. 

I am looking at Garmin as a replacement but really don’t want to lose the build up of stats, 2 years of data is a lot to lose. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I've stuck with it up until the weekend there and returned it for a new one at John Lewis. The thing is, I really like the watch but I'm afraid the accuracy isn't going to live up to what I should expect.

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes

The issue isn’t the Versa as such. After 2 months of issues I have found it is a syncing issue with the App. Fitbit aren’t really interested in fixing so purchased a Garmin Fenix 5s from John Lewis on Friday. Shame and a total waste of money on my Versa.   

Best Answer

Has this still been an issue for you? I just started taking my phone with me to track. Hoping it updates and distance will be correct. it is currently a .25 mile off for ever 1 mile. I will see where I am at today but if it isn't better who are you contacting specifically so we can ensure we are bugging the same person.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@parker7887 for me this was never resolved. Fitbit have acknowledged there is a problem and have referred to there HQ in San Francisco.  They have also offered me a full refund. I will be leaving Fitbit on 1 January.

Best Answer

Still having issues with mine. Even my flights of stairs is off at times. 

Who did you contact in regards to this issue? 

Best Answer
0 Votes