Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Versa screen is scratching

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Is anyone else having a problem with the Screen scratching? I wore my Versa for only a couple hours, was not rough with it at all and now the screen is scratched several times. I contacted customer service and they were useless. I'm really disappointed and getting a screen protector but I expected more for the price. Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

Moderator edit: subject for clarity

Best Answer
45 REPLIES 45

I have a screen and case protector. But I got my Versa from Best Buy and bought their warranty. I believe their warranty covers scratches so I will return mine if it’s scratched. 

Best Answer

Yes i noticed one today..i have it only 6 days...Made a report to fitbit....screen seams to delicate 

Best Answer

Yes!  I have small fine scuffs/scratches on the face of my watch.  I've been researching cleaning methods and going to get a screen protector.  I'm guessing its from when I sleep ::shrug::   I tend to sleep with my hands under my pillow to prop my head up.   So I assume my bed linens is scratching it some how.

Best Answer

A screen protector is always a good idea, especially with a screen as exposed as the Versa. BUT... your sheets are NOT scratching your fitbit… The Versa uses Gorilla Glass 3 which has a Mohs scale rating of 6.7 (between feldspar and quartz) so.. you are more likely scuffing it against some metal surface... an appliance maybe?

Samsung Galaxy S8, Sense
Best Answer

Just an FYI Customer service informed me that a screen protector voids the warranty and several people here, on their Facebook page and in their Amazon reviews have commented on how easily the screen scratches. I’ve wore my husbands Garmin for a week and didn’t get a single scratch but after a week my Versa looked like crap. I’m a stay at home mom, I’m not doing anything crazy.

I see nothing about what the screen is made of on the Fitbit site, I’ve only seen the gorilla glass claim from commenters and 3rd parties..seems like something they would brag about. Every other watch I look at from different brands has this information in their specs on their website. 

Best Answer

yes I did too right away. quickly bought a screen protector cheap on amazon. got a pack of 3. even cracked one of them but it's still on

Best Answer
0 Votes

Haha haha Scraping against metal? An appliance? Seriously? Please set the scene of how this appliance rubbin' or metal scrapping could happen.  

I work in an office where I sit at a desk everyday. I'm not even working
out like I should.  I've checked the spec for the Versa just like everyone else and could not find the Gorilla glass feature either.  I did hear that mentioned alot on YouTube videos discussing the Versa pre-release.

Best Answer

Yes, scraping against metal... here are some specific examples for you:

You reach under the sink for a kitchen garbage bag and accidentally scrape your tracker on the bottom of the garbage disposal.... OR, you are getting something out of the refrigerator and accidentally hit it on the edge of the refrigerator door... OR you are getting groceries out of the trunk of your car and accidentally hit your tracker on the underside of the trunk lid...  things that could easly happen to scratch the face of your tracker... I was simply trying to be helpful... I didn't expect a snide comment.

Samsung Galaxy S8, Sense
Best Answer

I'm not being snide, I did find the metal theory a little amusing just like you probably find my cloth/bed sheet theory inaccurate. I truly appreciate you trying to help, but I'm not in any of those situations.  

My garbage can is in a small utility closet,  I have an SUV so I'm not reaching into a trunk

If the watch had gorilla glass like some think then it would hold up to those type of situations, right?  I'm offering some a little more simpler that we don't do alot of wear a watch when we sleep.  Regardless of what's going on I feel that we all can agree that the glass is not holding up to normal daily usage.

Best Answer

I was looking on this forum for how easily a Charge 2 scratches when I found this post and wanted to comment. Many manufacturers will claim to have Gorilla Glass X on their products, but what they fail to mention is the oleophobic coating that goes over the GG. This is most likely what's happening with the Versa. So technically the glass is most likely intact, the coating is being scratched away as it's very soft.

This happens frequently in the optics industry when you apply an anti-glare or other type of coating to a pair of glasses.

Just food for thought.

Best Answer

I found suggestions for buffing out scratches on the Charge 2 do you think those same methods will work for the Versa?  I was going to buy Plastic Watch Crystal Scratch Remover, but now I'm having second thoughts.   

Best Answer
0 Votes

Did they say WHY a screen protector would void the warranty?

Placing a little piece of glass on top of their piece of glass voids the warranty? Not a very good warranty then. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

The customer service person I spoke to said that since they (Fitbit) doesn’t make them it would be considered an enhancement or modification and void the warranty. Truthfully I think they were just trying to find any excuse to explain their lack of customer support. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'd try something like this to fill in the scratches before using something abrasive. Buffing your screen should always be a last resort.

Smittys Glass Wax https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004N1P3GI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_YnSkBbQ4SY2GH

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yeah, because honestly I have one on mine and it comes off pretty easily if I want it to. If I take it off they would never know I had one on. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Shhhh.. don’t give them any reason to void your warranty lol

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello all, I hope you are doing fine.

I am sorry to hear about what is happening with your watches. As you might know by now, these type of damaged aren't cover by our warranty, but your feedback about it is always appreciated.

Also, I was able to see here that some of our friends are offering some solutions or tips in order to avoid this, which I think it would be great if you can follow them. My recommendation here, is to be careful at the moment of getting near a surface that might damage your units. I have been wearing my Versa for some time now, I play volleyball with it and I haven't seen any scratch that might call my attention.

If you need anything else, do not hesitate to post it. Robot Happy

Alejandra | Community Moderator, Fitbit

If you like something I recommended, I encourage you to mark that reply as "Best Answer". 🙂

Best Answer

@AlejandraFitbit Does using a screen protector indeed void the warranty? That would be pretty terrible to sell an item that's meant to be worn exposed on one's arm and during vigorous activity AND that scratches so easily, and THEN say you can't do anything to protect it from scratching either. Scratches aren't covered under the warranty, but trying to avoid scratches voids the warranty for everything that might actually be covered? That's got to be the worst policy I've ever read. 

Best Answer

I don't know how they've ever know you put anything on the screen unless it left some sort of residue. I just put a screen protector on mine and feel much better about wearing it daily now than I did previously. I highly suggest getting some IQ Shield protectors on Amazon and doing the wet install, it's not too hard and the results are acceptable, if not perfect.

Best Answer