Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Versa stopping in the middle of exercise

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I've been using my Versa during my weight and interval training.  It keeps stopping part way through.  I'll look at it to check heart rate, or time and it's back to the main clock face without saving anything to that point.

Really like the Versa for lots of reasons, but this is enough to make me send it back and go back to my Blaze...

Best Answer
103 REPLIES 103

Not going to be much help to you kysmom02 but at least know you're not alone. Smiley Wink

I too have noticed something similar with my Versa.

On Monday using the Elliptical activity and after about 30 minutes I went to check stats only to find the main clock face. Same thing happened while exercising today (Wednesday) except this time I noticed it was showing the Fitbit logo which leads me to believe that the Versa rebooted on its own.

Some additional details...

I have the elliptical activity configured to automatically show laps every 5 minutes and have always-on screen set to off. Top stat is calories burned, bottom is elapsed time, middle has everything checked except for lap time & lap distance.

It's the NFC version of the Versa running firmware version 32.32.4.19.

Each time it has happened around 30 minutes into the elliptical activity - the dashboard shows durations of 30:49 and 29:27 for the interrupted activities - and seems to occur without user interaction.

Best Answer

I went running today and 5 minutes in I’m happy and my Versa seems to be keeping the pace and distance correctly, then it turned itself off and rebooted randomly. I waa so mad, I had to stop reconnect my wireless headphones and start the run again. The previous 5 mins completely vanished. If this happens one more time I’m returning it. I’m serious about my running stats and this has the possibility to ruin them. So far not impressed 

Best Answer

Yes!  I'm frustrated with it too!  However, I love it enough that I'll probably just use my Blaze for workouts and go back to the Versa for the rest of each day.  Just hoping that maybe there will be a fix in an update soon!

I did do a treadmill run today and it kept up perfectly and logged it.  I felt the heartrate was accurate as well as distance/speed.  So that was a plus!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes, mine is the same version.

I did a treadmill run today and it kept up perfectly, but my run ended at 29:44, so I'm not sure if the 30 minutes is the key or not.

Did you say yours still gives the details on the dashboard though?  When mine would reset and return to the clockface, I'd have no record in the dashboard of any of the workout.  I had no way of knowing when it quit.

I feel a little better that I'm not alone, but I'm hoping there will be a fix for this in an update!

Best Answer

I experienced the same thing after 30 minutes on the Treadmill. It stopped recording my workout and left no record that it ever happened. I only had it for 2 days when this happened. I would love to use it to train for an upcoming half marathon but it would be no use if it doesn't record past 30 minutes.

Best Answer

@kysmom02 wrote:

Did you say yours still gives the details on the dashboard though?

Looking at https://www.fitbit.com/activities

I do see entries for the portion of the activity from before the reboots. Interestingly the amount of data on the graphs doesn't seem to match the total reported length for these entries.

One shows a length of 29:27, calories stops at 28:48, HR stops at 28:40.

The other a length of 30:49, calories stops at 29:51, HR stops at 26:59.

That said my Versa has correctly recorded 6 other activities that were longer than 45 minutes and 2 that were more than 90 minutes, so it doesn't happen every time.

Best Answer

Interesting!  Thanks!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I had a walk exercise crash today at about 30 min in. At that point the watch vibrated and that’s what drew my attention to it. But I didn’t realize it had crashed until about 15 minutes later when I went to end the walk and the clock was on the screen.

There was no record of the walk in the Fitbit app. However, several hours later it suddenly showed up in the app, much to my superseded. The map shows the walk ending at the point where I noticed the exercise had stopped. 

Although the map shows a portion of the walk, the time in the Fitbit app is 2 hours 30 minutes. (Walk was about 30 min.) So apparently, it was running in the background and finally stopped. 

I chatted with support and they had me reboot the Versa. That’s maybe when the recording stopped but I think the reboot was well before the 2 1/2 hours of the time showing for the walk. So that part is confusing time wise. 

I hope Fitbit pays attention to this entire thread because the problem IS real and needs to be fixed.

Best Answer

I weight train so I'm noticing it on the "weights" exercise.  Happened again today.  I was paying close attention to it and even tried pausing in between sets to see if that would make a difference.  It was between 34:00 and 40:00 when it quit today.  

I didn't have any trouble with my 17:00 interval work though.

Yes, it's a real struggle for me that it quits and the workout never registers in the app.

Best Answer

Mine is doing the same thing. I'm not sure at what point it is stopping, but seems to be around 30 minutes. I don't always notice until after I'm finished with the exercise. It has not synced the portion tracked, so appears to lose the entire exercise. I've seen it on elliptical and spinning. Today was I think the fourth time, the other times I thought I hadn't properly started it. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yup.

Not alone there. Happened to me for the first time tonight 5 min into walking on the treadmill. I reset the Versa. Battery level was at 40%.

The number of steps and exercise time recorded but not the activity. If I retrospectively add the exercise, I gain an additional 5000 steps that I didn't take.

Best Answer
0 Votes

After I had the problem I talked to support in a chat session. They had me
reboot the Versa. Since then I’ve done two one hour or longer exercises
(bike and walk) and the problem has not reoccurred. Hopfully, it’s
permanently fixed.

To reboot, hold down the left and lower right buttons until it restarts.
--

Moderator Edit: Formatting

Best Answer

I wonder if battery level might be related? Perhaps if the battery level drops below a certain threshold the Versa attempts to lower its resource usage but this in some way conflicts with the current activity tracking and causes the OS to crash and reboot to recover.

I don't recall what percentage mine was at when it crashed previously but since then I've been charging it while showering which has kept it above 50% for the last 4 days, during which I haven't seen a crash. Might be too soon to tell but I'm going to try to keep an eye on that.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Not sure about battery level, but I don't think mine has dropped much below 40% since I got it.

I had previously tried resetting it and that didn't help.  So, this time, I did a complete factory reset.  I deleted the app from my phone and started from scratch.  I've since done a couple short workouts and not had a problem.  

I'm not totally sure it's fixed, but I'm hoping!  Still really wish someone from Fitbit would check this out and address the issue here though!

Best Answer

Happened to me today - in the middle of an interval workout. Went to check my heart rate and it was back to the clock face.  So Frustrating!
I did log the exercise after the fact and it captured my heart rate / calorie info (I think)?  But, I imagine if this happened on a run - it would be more irritating! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same thing happened to me today, was in the middle of the work out on the treadmill and felt my wrist vibrate, looked down and it exited out of the exercise and stopped reading my heart rate. It did log in the app fine, booted off at 21 mins. I stopped for a couple of minutes to check the app, restarted the workout mode and it continued to track for another hour. Very strange. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

It happened to mine too. Then I figured if the watch it too close to the hand sometimes I ended up hitting the lower button which pauses the activity. Maybe try to back it up on the wrist and see if that helps - worked for me.

Best Answer

Same issue.  I just got mine two days ago....I noticed that it rebooted randomly while doing nothing on the first day.  I chalked that up to it possibly getting an update and rebooting.  Yesterdays workout went fine.....no issues.  Today, in the middle of a cardio workout, wrist buzzed and i noticed it rebooted.  My data was saved, but still a distraction and very annoying to have happen during a workout.  I am hoping this is not a hardware issue and can be resolved with a firmware update.  I like the device so far, but i am debating returning it while i still can. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine has now shut-off during workouts every day this week. I've watched closely, and I'm not bumping the pause or stop buttons. The battery has been as high as 95% Monday, 65% today. Somewhere around 20 mins each time, doesn't vibrate. Doesn't record any of the workout. Different preset exercises. I can manually log. 

Yesterday it auto detected a walk for 35 mins fine. 

Frustrating. I've reset, will do again. 

Best Answer