Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

API requests > 150 per hour?

Hi,

I am developing an app for a partner that will need more than 150 API requests per hour for each user.

How shall we do that?

Thanks,

Nicholas

Best Answer
2 REPLIES 2

Hi @Nicho75,

Welcome to the forums!

Fitbit only allows each application 150 API requests per hour for each Fitbit user that has authorized access to their data through your application. The rate limit counter resets at the top of each hour. Because the rate limit is regulated per-user, the total number of users does not affect your application's overall ability to use the Web APIs.

The vast majority of applications (including Fitbit's own mobile applications) do not exceed this rate limit. If you still require an increased rate limit, we'll be unable to accommodate you for your request. However, if you'd like to share how your application operates, I may be able to provide you with suggestions to reduce the number of API calls your application uses.

Let me know if I can help any further.

Best Answer

Hi John!

Apologies for reopening such an old string, but I am working on an API application for research and I wanted to see if there was any update on this. 

My program works by having an individual initiate a request to collect 4 months worth of data. In order to collect the data that we need, we are using intraday requests to collect step counts, heart rate and sleep. The issue is that with step counts and heart rate, the limit for each request is 24 hours. My assumption is that this means that I have to make 120 requests in order to collect 4 months worth of data. Doing so with steps and heart rate would put me much higher than the 150. Is there a better way to do this considering that we won't be able to have the individual sample any more frequently than once every 4 months, or will they simply have to request one type, wait an hour, and go again?

Thank you!

Best Answer
0 Votes