Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can we get friends Details like there activities?

Can we get friends Details like there activities using api?

Best Answer
0 Votes
6 REPLIES 6

I'm interested too to this question. Someone knows?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @adlucio87 and @Nikunj231991,

At this time, you are not able to get friends activities out of the "Friends" Web API endpoints.  Would you explain to me the the use case for needing this data and the value this information would be to you?

Gordon Crenshaw
Senior Technical Solutions Consultant
Fitbit Partner Engineering & Web API Support | Google
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for reply.

I was thinking develop an app running on ionic/versa  for challenge frinds' activity.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @adlucio87,

Oh I understand.  Here are a few suggestions that I can think of right now.

The Fitbit app already supports challenges where you can invite your friends.  Here's a help document which describing the functionality and what information is available.

However, if Fitbit's Challenges functionality doesn't provide you with the information you need, you should be able to build an application to do this.  Building an application on the Web APIs will allow you to pull your friend's activity data after they have consented to sharing it with you through the OAuth2 authentication flow.  Every time your friends sync their data with Fitbit, the new data will be available to you.  

To build an application for the Ionic/Versa, you can request help from the SDK Development forum.  There is some sample code available here.  The last example demonstrates using the Web API OAuth flow.

Gordon Crenshaw
Best Answer

thanks for the advice, I have already commited an application on gam, a stupid application to be used as a stopwatch with earth data.

I know how architecture works and what can be done on the application side and companion side.

I am an ionic user I have not participated in challenge yet but I got to know them and i don't seem tey are like mine idea.

What I would like to do is a little different, I would like to select in an android app or web app a running activity form my friend, after select it, start activity in the app inside ionic, while app start  via companion recovery the data of the selected challenge and in activity phase I would like to give feedback on the trend and eventually stimulate the user with signals and vibrations to help users to give more and do best time.

I also like to add spech with bluetooth during session, but i know that is not supported.

My initial request Referrers to the Web APIs. But i don't found method that returns friend's activities.

Thank you

Andrew

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @adlucio87

You'll only be able to retrieve friends activity after they have consented to share their data through the OAuth2 process and enabled the "Activities" scope.  The Web APIs do not display a live feed of their data.  You will see their data after their device has sync'd with their Fitbit account or the activity was manually entered.  

Gordon

Gordon Crenshaw
Best Answer
0 Votes