Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot find any data on a user from web API call, assuming user is syncing app properly

I have an Android ZTE user who is using my smartphone application with their Fitbit.  They have undergone authentication steps to provide us access to their Fitbit data and they assure us that they are using the Fibit; syncing their data; seeing their data from several days in the app; and that they only have one Fibit account.  However, when we perform a web API call to retrieve their data, we retrieve empty datasets. We cannot find any data on device, activity, heartrate, and sleep rate and we receive no errors associated with the API call. (I believe for activity data, we simply get 0 steps rather than an empty dataset.) This is the first user (Android or iPhone user) in which we have run into this issue.  

What could be the possible reasons for not retrieving any data from a user's Fitbit account, assuming their Fitbit is syncing properly to their phone and that they are using the phone?

Best Answer
0 Votes
3 REPLIES 3

Some Random Ideas:

- Days without activity..

- Incorrect API Calls 

Have you cross-checked data in your application with data in their personal FitBit Cloud? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you for your suggestions!

Unfortunately, I am unable to cross-check their data with their personal Fitbit cloud, though that would be a great place to start.  They assure me that they do have data in their cloud. 

I don't think it is wrong API calls, since I don't get any errors about incorrect tokens and the API calls are identical to other users except for the tokens.   It is also not simply days without activity, since I cannot even get information on their device (e.g., last sync date). 

I had thought perhaps that when they provided permission for the app to collect data, they did not actually select any data to provide access to? As a result, I still get valid tokens, but when I try run an API call to get the user's data, Fibit returns empty datasets.  If the user does not provide access to certain data (e.g., heartrate), would Fitbit send an error if an API call asked for that data?

Thank you!

Best Answer
0 Votes

If you want to cross-check, try with your personal tracker. Is there no single one of your users you could ask permission to check on their Personal Cloud? 

They indeed need to select a certain scope during the "get Code" part of the authentication.. 

Are there users with data missing in certain data groups? So for which certain calls do not work and certain calls do? 

From what you are saying I get that for certain users you get no information at all.. Do you have information about the application making an API call to FitBit EndPoint with access token? Can you get your hands on Log Data that can prove that there has indeed been access to their data? Without this, it is hard to pinpoint if the problem lies in OAuth2, in performing a correct API Call, or in there being data in Cloud or not.. 

Best Answer
0 Votes